1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Aug '13 16:50
    We have new hardware online and ready to go - so we are in a migration phase now, probably 2 weeks until switch over.

Because of this, the code is locked down apart from essential bugs, or any changes relating to the migration itself.

This has put a blocker on a couple of things. The new puzzles feature and the updated game analysis code have been on hold until the hardware changes are finished. Both are incomplete anyway, but the sever change has pushed them back further.

The big positive though is the new hardware should make a *very* significant difference to site performance at peak times.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 02:141 edit
    Don't know if this qualifies as an essential bug, after all it is possible to figure out eventually but first there's a lot of frustration involved.

I type a reply to the ingame message, then I make a move (which is actually an illegal move because I haven't noticed that my king is in check). Submit results in the board and the message reply disappearing and being replaced with a blank area, but nothing else happens and checking MyGames from another tab I can see that it's still my move. After a few minutes of fiddling around I finally spot the check and move my king and the game rolls on.

It would be much better if "illegal move" appeared on the screen so that I know it's my doing and not my stupid browser yet again.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 13:13
    After my original post, we decided to update most of the components on the back end, requiring a huge re-engineering job. Provisionally expecting a change over at end of this week.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 13:21
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Submit results in the board and the message reply disappearing and being replaced with a blank area, but nothing else happens
    It would be much better if "illegal move" appeared on the screen so that I know it's my doing and not my stupid browser yet again.
    Not sure why this is happening for you. We could certainly make it clearer the move was illegal beyond the red tiles, but I'm not sure that is necessary. Which browser do you use, I'll try to reproduce?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 14:51
    Originally posted by Russ
    After my original post, we decided to update most of the components on the back end, requiring a huge re-engineering job. Provisionally expecting a change over at end of this week.
    Will an outage occur and, if so, for how long?
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 15:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Will an outage occur and, if so, for how long?
    At least 12 hours.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 17:02
    At least 12 hours.
    Piece of Cake. lol
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 05:28
    Not sure why this is happening for you. We could certainly make it clearer the move was illegal beyond the red tiles, but I'm not sure that is necessary. Which browser do you use, I'll try to reproduce?
    W7 with Firefox (including several RHP add-ons, but I've disabled all of those and it still happens).

It only happens when a message accompanies the illegal move; without message it does what it's supposed to do, red tiles and the board reappears giving another opportunity to make a legal move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree