1. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 01:05
    We've just put up an initial version of the new Games Explorer.

It is not yet available from a link on the site but can be accessed via

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer

It is populated with games up until the start of November 2006 and about 200,000 Grandmaster games. It also has personal databases for all subscribers (also including all their games up until the start of November), and many non-subscribers who were on the site prior to 2003.

If this proves to be a popular feature on the site we will make steps to provide continually up to date data.

You will also notice that there is the ability to write notes on positions and rate the writings of other players - this is also something that we will give a lot more attention should it show itself to be something that people would like to use.

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 01:23
    Originally posted by Chris

It is populated with games up until the start of November 2006 and about 200,000 Grandmaster games. It also has personal databases for all subscribers (also including all their ...[text shortened]... ttention should it show itself to be something that people would like to use.

Thanks,
    Chris
    oooh, live already! Nice1 πŸ˜€
  3. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 05:21
    Very cool! πŸ˜€
  4. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 08:48
    Splendid πŸ™‚.
  5. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 08:59
    Excellent! Nice work. πŸ™‚
  6. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 10:43
    The database of master games is surprisingly well developed; more games per player in this database then the chessgames database for the players I’ve checked, in some cases, significantly: Capablanca, Nakamura, Morozevich, Korchnoi…etc. (reallllly random 4 names above I know). Even a Weyerstrass and a few Tebb games in the master database. Not useful if looking for a specific game, but the database shouldn’t necessarily be designed for this purpose anyway…merely should be a resource for opening and middle game ideas.

The openings explorer (of course, this is most valuable feature – for researching opponents openings, for looking at one’s opening tendencies – this is helpful for the players who take the game that seriously although only a few probably do research of an opponent&hellipπŸ˜‰ and also that the games database may be personalized are the most essential, and interesting features.

Undoubtedly I am more likely to check the chesslive.de database (or visit the chessgames database) rather than this one for general research purposes. Most people serious about their chess probably have a personalized database with their games in it for post-game analysis purposes; some may have a personalized database for opening purposes anyway.

If a few of the top players would annotate their games, that would be pretty cool. It would be instructional to aspiring chessplayers (another way of saying patzers) like myself, not to mention useful for weeding out the cheats, although that may often be easily evidenced from their games.
  7. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 14:02
    Excellent.
  8. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 15:021 edit
    This is great. It's really useful for checking the games of your opponents and seeing how they performed in various opening lines.

It took me a while to understand the statistics, which are presented in a different way than I am used to. However I eventually realised that the statistics were colour coded, so that wins for White were displayed as percentages on a white bar, followed by draws on a grey bar, and Black wins on a black bar. It seems more confusing trying to explain this than it actually is!

I noticed that the games of banned engine users have been omitted from the database. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing, as I think it's quite interesting to see how some players have performed against engines. One of the side effects of excluding all these games is that a lot of people are missing about 100 games, presumably because they've played several games against many of the users who were subsequently banned. In addition the database only goes up to November, so is missing some recent games.

Also some engine users have been mistakenly allowed onto the database! For instance Exy has over 1500 games on the database and nicohuyboom has about 600 games. Whereas other banned players such as Ironman31 and meman have none. Personally I would much rather see what Ironman played in the opening than Exy!

Another thing that I noticed is that Edmond Dantes has hundreds of games in the database but he was the same person as Ironman31 and very probably used an engine whilst playing under his earlier nickname.

However despite these minor flaws, the database is really good. The Master games section is a bit limited, but should be sufficient for most people. The personalised games service for RHP subscribers is excellent.
  9. London
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 16:39
    Brilliant!!!
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 17:09
    Originally posted by David Tebb

Another thing that I noticed is that Edmond Dantes has hundreds of games in the database but he was the same person as Ironman31 and very probably used an engine whilst playing under his earlier nickname.
    Was that ever proved? I know it has always been suspected but did anyone prove it?
  11. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Was that ever proved? I know it has always been suspected but did anyone prove it?
    Well, I was told by a few people (such as his clan mates and friends in real life) that they were the same person and Ironman31 didn't deny it when I asked him once during an in-game conversation.

Also Edmond Dantes and Ironman31 were from the same town in Italy and played identical openings (eg Dutch and French Defence as Black) in an identical style (which is also identical to Junior!) and had identical writing styles.

I'm not sure how much more proof anyone would need.
  12. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 20:08
    Trust some IT person to try getting a "1700+" page by fiddling with the URL...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/index.php?co=-&u=-1&c=1700&movelist=&flip=0

Fatal error: Call to a member function GetName() on a non-object in /var/www/redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/index.php on line 392

...but I agree that you've come up with great resource. Excellent!
  13. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 20:09
    Brilliant.

Does this mean that we'll see a marked improvement in people's opening play?
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 23:52
    I sure found out how poorly I respond as white to e4..c5

It is a very illuminating study. I'm all over it.
  15. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 02:35
    Originally posted by Chris

It is populated with games up until the start of November 2006 and about 200,000 Grandmaster games. It also has personal databases for all subscribers (also including all their ...[text shortened]... ttention should it show itself to be something that people would like to use.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Very nice indeed. I like it!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree