1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 09:221 edit
    As from March 14th, the vacation system will be changing.

The new vacation system introduces protection from timeouts during a pre-arranged vacation period. This will apply to all games, including tournament games.

36 days per year (awarded pro-rata for new members) are available to subscribing members only. The vacation flag will not be available to non-subscribers after March 14th.

Subscribers can book vacation right now via the new vacation booking pages for both 2007 and 2008. A link exists from the current ‘My Vacation’ page. If you will be away anytime in the days following March 14th, then it is important that you book your vacation time now rather than have your vacation flag removed unexpectedly when you are away.

edit : All existing vacation flags will be removed on the switch over to the new system. Where vacation has been booked, flags will then be re-instated.

It should be noted that ‘timebank’ will continue to deplete during a vacation. This has consequences for those few tournaments where the only time control is 'timebank'. (This is restricted to a small number of tournaments.)

Further information is available on the vacation booking pages (My Settings >> My Vacation).

-Russ
  2. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:33
    great idea, nice one!
  3. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:34
    Originally posted by Russ

The new vacation system introduces protection from timeouts during a pre-arranged vacation period. This will apply to all games, including tournament games.

36 days per year (awarded pro-rata for new members) are available to subscribing members only. The vacation flag will not be available to n ...[text shortened]... information is available on the vacation booking pages (My Settings >> My Vacation).

-Russ
    Nice feature!

I have a question though -
    How does this affect the use of the vacation flag?

For example, if I put my flag up without booking holiday, will it still show or will it be turned off automatically.

And if I book holiday, do I need to set the flag as well?

Thanks in advance.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:35
    Every change is for the better.
    Time out protection is great.
    Why only for subscribers?
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:38

36 days per year (awarded pro-rata for new members) are available to subscribing members only. The vacation flag will not be available to n ...[text shortened]... information is available on the vacation booking pages (My Settings >> My Vacation).

-Russ
    When you need to book holiday off from an online game it's time to stop taking it so seriously. 😕
  6. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    Brilliant. Chalk one more up for RHP.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) Can players still move during their vacation days? How about players who move against them, are those moves sealed?

2) What exactly happens? Does the timeout period stop, or continue to deplete down (meaning the player has to move before the vacation period actually ends)?

3) Is there going to be some kind of mechanism to insure that people don't casually dip in and dip out of their vacation days? (A minimum amount of time maybe?)
  7. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    If you will be away anytime in the days following March 14th, then it is important that you book your vacation time now rather than have your vacation flag removed unexpectedly when you are away.
    tournaments.)
    What happens when I know just a few days before that I go on vacation? Or with other words why is it important to book now? And why should the vacation flag be removed unexpectedly?
  8. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:40
    THIRTY SIX DAYS A YEAR?

That's WAY too much.

This extraneous feature is going to completely bog the clan leagues down and I would really like to see that it is not applied to league games.

Russ, how did you come up with 36 days? It's ridiculous enough as it is, why go to such an extreme with the number of days?
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:42
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why only for subscribers?
    We would rather keep games flowing for the majority of non-subs because of the limited number of concurrent games. (Unless they choose to play 6 subscribers who all choose to go on vacation.) It is obviously also another subscriber only benefit to make subscriptions more attractive.

-Russ
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:43
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Nice feature!

I have a question though -
    How does this affect the use of the vacation flag?

For example, if I put my flag up without booking holiday, will it still show or will it be turned off automatically.

And if I book holiday, do I need to set the flag as well?

Thanks in advance.
    The vacation flag will turn on and off automatically.

Setting the vacation flag manually will no longer be an option after March 14th.

-Russ
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:46
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    [b]THIRTY SIX DAYS A YEAR?

That's WAY too much.

This extraneous feature is going to completely bog the clan leagues down and I would really like to see that it is not applied to league games.

Russ, how did you come up with 36 days? It's ridiculous enough as it is, why go to such an extreme with the number of days?[/b]
    3 days a month.

If someone chooses to book 36 days straight, then yes, I appreciate your concern, but that is unlikely to happen in most cases.

-Russ
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:48
    I have sometimes troubles getting in contact to the Creator of Universe.
    But I looove this one-to-one contact with the Creator of RedHotPawn. It gives you a feeling that you are really listened at and that questions gives answers and one is a bit of the wholeness!

Thank you Russ, the Creator!
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:49
    3 days a month.

If someone chooses to book 36 days straight, then yes, I appreciate your concern, but that is unlikely to happen in most cases.

-Russ
    Could we have another urgent vote as to whether this vacation feature will be applied to clan league games?
  14. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:51
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Could we have another urgent vote as to whether this vacation feature will be applied to clan league games?
    I agree 36 days seems a bit excessive. But give it time. That number could always change in the future if it seems people are abusing it.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:52
    Can players still move during their vacation days? How about players who move against them, are those moves sealed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree