1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 10:271 edit
    We are about to change the policy of allowing externally hosted images for avatars, profiles pictures and clan logos. Instead, all images will be uploaded to RHP and hosted from our servers.

There are a number of benefits to this, including:

* Easier for non-web savvy users to get images uploaded.
    * Prevents outrageously large files being used (killing forum performance for those on dial up, for example) - this includes small avatars with many, many frames of animation...
    * Prevents linking to protected images (Which require user name and password to access). This issues itself justifies the change.

To help the transition, we will be sucking down all linked images and doing our best to resize where possible before hosting them. If images are too large or unavailable, then the image will need to be uploaded again, but for most users, there will be no noticeable difference.

This process will probably take 24 hours to complete, so there will be a period where images cannot be modified.

-Russ
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 10:30
    Further to the above, any animated images uploaded which do not match the requisite image dimension (50*50 for avatars, for example) will have the animation disabled. This is a result of the resizing process.

-Russ
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 13:40
    Originally posted by Russ
    Further to the above, any animated images uploaded which do not match the requisite image dimension (50*50 for avatars, for example) will have the animation disabled. This is a result of the resizing process.

-Russ
    Will static images still be allowed at larger sizes, if so how big?
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 13:54
    Full update on images sizes to follow.

-Russ
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 14:54
    We are about to change the policy of allowing externally hosted images for avatars, profiles pictures and clan logos. Instead, all images will be uploaded to RHP and hosted from our servers.

* Prevents outrageously large files being used (killin ...[text shortened]... y take 24 hours to complete, so there will be a period where images cannot be modified.

-Russ
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! 😲

Figures... 😞
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 15:25
    This is a nightmare - I hope you are going to offer support to people like me who dont know how else to upload an image without hot linking it?

The site is going to look very boring otherwise and will lose alot of its flavour
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 15:26
    Its back all is forgiven I take it back thanks
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 15:45
    Originally posted by greenphantom
    This is a nightmare - I hope you are going to offer support to people like me who dont know how else to upload an image without hot linking it?

The site is going to look very boring otherwise and will lose alot of its flavour
    We receive plenty of feedback from people very confused about adding images to their profile. Uploading images will be very, very easy. (And we will provide detailed instructions on the relevant pages.)

-Russ
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 16:57
    We receive plenty of feedback from people very confused about adding images to their profile. Uploading images will be very, very easy. (And we will provide detailed instructions on the relevant pages.)

-Russ
    What does uploading mean?

; D
  10. Joined
    12 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 17:10

* Prevents outrageously large files being used (killin ...[text shortened]... y take 24 hours to complete, so there will be a period where images cannot be modified.

-Russ
    So are you going to put our images back or are we going to have to upload them ourselves??
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 17:25
    Also, images will now all be 50x50? So when you see that avatar and you have no idea what it is there is no way to view it at normal size anymore by following the link?

Gah!

P-
  12. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 17:55
    I'm confused! my clan image was put back on and now it's back off again, what's going on?

My image is not copyrighted and how come all the big clans have not had their profile pictures removed yet?
  13. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 17:57
    Some clear feeback needs to be added or alot of members are going to get very frustrated
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 17:57
    Feedback
  15. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by greenphantom
    Feedback
    Sheesh. I love what you've done to the best clan logo in the place. Please tell me my jalapeno shooting donkey will blast peppers from his butt once again...very soon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree