1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    24 May '07 05:21
    I would guess that others have suggested this before, but just in case, here goes:

Why, oh why, are people able to make moves while they are on vacation? Is anyone else bothered with seeing moves come in when folks are on vacation? How about watching them make moves in other games and letting your game sit cold while they are on vacation?

If you think it doesn't matter, then you aren't considering all of the clans and tournaments that are affected by this. Please consider just one small change: You can't make a move if you are on vacation. Simply go back active and make your moves with your time counting. That is the true spirit of the game and fair play for everyone.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 May '07 11:321 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    I would guess that others have suggested this before, but just in case, here goes:

Why, oh why, are people able to make moves while they are on vacation? Is anyone else bothered with seeing moves come in when folks are on vacation? How about watching them make moves in other games and letting your game sit cold while they are on vacation?

If you think oves with your time counting. That is the true spirit of the game and fair play for everyone.
    That's what I've been saying from the start.
    People are using it as a simple timebank extender, which in my opinion is tantamount to cheating!

This vacation system is wide open to abuse.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 May '07 13:201 edit

If you think oves with your time counting. That is the true spirit of the game and fair play for everyone.
    Back in the day we had 2 options offered to us:

Vacation time per year...
    or
    Time banks.

They went with the time bank option.

Next, stupidly I add... they came up with this vacation idea. Time bank and time settings were well enough to play getting away for a week or 2 at any time during the year, if you know how to set a game and use your time wisely.

Well, now there is both. That was dumb. This system can stall a tourney, clan challenge, or siege for months with this change.

Here is the bright side.

If you are using your vacation like time bank, you will eventually run out. Just wait, count their days... and if you want another shot at them after the first game play them again. Now they will be pressed for time, and with luck they will go on a real vacation and have no time left.

People need to make their moves while on vacation. Once vacation is over, they can be timed out in some of their games. This feature (making the moves on vacation) is needed for people who use it like it is intended, there will always be people who abuse a feature, but with luck as time passes it will come back to bite them in the...

P-
  4. Standard memberBedingbedang
    commente moi donc รงa
    Montreal
    Moves
    26 May '07 17:53
    I really don't mind people moving!

Even/especially if they are on vacation...They are wasting their vacation time but so what? That's good too.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    26 May '07 20:10
    Originally posted by Bedingbedang
    I really don't mind people moving!

Even/especially if they are on vacation...They are wasting their vacation time but so what? That's good too.
    the "so what" has to do with tournaments and clan matches. by delaying a game for 7 or 14 moves each move, then a 7 or 14 or 28 time bank, and then . .. .dishonestly . .. selectively sitting on a losing position and dragging it out as long as possible in hopes that the other player will leave RHP in frustration or forget all about the game strategy or that other players will tire of the entire lag and give up and move on . . then that person who drags it all out is just hurting the whole spirit and fun of the competition . . it is NOT what the vacation option was intended to do . . . .

to correct this, simply change the rule . . . "you are on vacation and cannot move until you come off of vacation"

that's the "so what"
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 May '07 21:16
    the "so what" has to do with tournaments and clan matches. by delaying a game for 7 or 14 moves each move, then a 7 or 14 or 28 time bank, and then . .. .dishonestly . .. selectively sitting on a losing position and dragging it out as long as possible in hopes that the other player will leave RHP in frustration or forget all about the game strategy or that ...[text shortened]... u are on vacation and cannot move until you come off of vacation"

that's the "so what"
    I agree totally with coquette.

Furthermore, I want sealed move during the vacation as well, as in OTB.
  7. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    26 May '07 23:48
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I agree totally with coquette.

Furthermore, I want sealed move during the vacation as well, as in OTB.
    GREAT SUGGESTION! The "sealed move" would eliminate ANY notions of using the vacation option as an extended time bank . .so cool!
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 06:50
    GREAT SUGGESTION! The "sealed move" would eliminate ANY notions of using the vacation option as an extended time bank . .so cool!
    Thank you, Coquette, I think you're the first one understanding what I really mean with the concept of 'sealed moves'.

A short review of the meaning of sealed moves OTB:
    When you play a tournament game OTB and you reached the limit 2 hours in 40 moves, you have to take an interrupt until the next day or week, but how do you do that? If you are the last one to make a move, then your opponent can analyze this position with your move as long as he wants, even with the aid of computers or experts, isn't it unfair?
    The solution is to seal a move.
    You write it down on a paper slip, secretly, put it in a envelope, seal it (hence 'sealed move'๐Ÿ˜‰, and write the position and other relevant facts on the outside of the envelope, and you are the only one who knows what will be the next move.
    When the game continues your opponent unseal the envelope, read the move, the move is made, and the game continues, with no one having an advantage of the interruption.

But how to do this at RHP?
    Simple: First you apply for a vacation, as we do today. Then the first move you do in every game after the vacation starts is a secret for the opponent, it is sealed. The first move your opponent do in every game doesn't reach you until the vacation is over, it is sealed.
    During the vacancies the clock are stopped so no timeout is possible. When the vacancy is over, the clock begin to tick again.

This is the concept of 'sealed moves'. Coquette knows it already, and now every else knows it too.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 May '07 15:42
    Thank you, Coquette, I think you're the first one understanding what I really mean with the concept of [b]'sealed moves'.

A short review of the meaning of sealed moves OTB:
    When you play a tournament game OTB and you reached the limit 2 hours in 40 moves, you have to take an interrupt until the next day or week, but how do you do that? If you are ...[text shortened]... concept of 'sealed moves'. Coquette knows it already, and now every else knows it too.[/b]
    This is new and good idea for vacations! Once a user goes on vacation they don't see the new moves made in their game.

I would get a message saying "Your move is sealed, clocks are stopped, and your game will continue when the player returns". The person on vacation would get a similar message, and not see the move until they turn off their flag or it expires.

No one has ever brought this up to my knowledge until just now, and I think it's a great idea.

P-
  10. Austin TX
    Moves
    27 May '07 16:311 edit
    Great suggestions by Coquette and FabianFnas!! I do not like the shortcomings of the current vacation system and think these two suggestions would go a long way in restoring equity and fairness.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 17:31
    Thank you for the support of the concept of "sealed moves".
    I hope also Russ and Chris notice this proposal.
  12. home
    Moves
    27 May '07 18:03
    Great idea. rec'd
  13. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 May '07 18:57
    ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 May '07 16:31
    I hope so also, I sent this thread in as feedback improvement for site. With luck, they'll strongly consider this rule. It makes ALL the sense in the world.

P-
  15. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    28 May '07 20:53
    Here is a possible abuse of a "sealed move" system:

A player puts his vacation flag up for several days. Part way through the vacation at a few minutes to midnight GMT he cancels the rest of the vacation, views all the sealed moves, and then books a new vacation starting at midnight GMT.

A sealed move system only works for OTB chess because once the move is unsealed, the players have to continue the play without further breaks.

Note that the International Correspondence Chess Federation allow 30 days of vacation per year, and do not attempt to use a sealed move system:

http://www.iccf.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=53

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree