1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '16 09:43
    Originally posted by jcandance
    my guess is people will often follow guides for openings, and mostly that's it. Will some people cheat every move, of course, but that's what happens with anonymous games on the internet. If somebody is sandbagging so they can beat you, then who cares, move on. They aren't getting far in life anyway .
    I have a few new clan games now running with player in my OP. I sent him a nice in game message saying how much I enjoyed our games etc. It was ignored. It's fine. πŸ™‚
  2. Standard memberjcandance
    White Hats Rule!
    over here!
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 21:41
    Perhaps ask him what engine he uses? πŸ˜‰
  3. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 22:46
    After all the Flying Scotsman has just been restored and is now running again.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 10:31
    Originally posted by jcandance
    Perhaps ask him what engine he uses? πŸ˜‰
    I really do enjoy the games i have with him; like me he is a trigger-happy fast mover who plays (what I consider to be) aggressively. I'd rather not damage his sensibilities further.
  5. Joined
    05 Feb '16
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 00:02
    If your opponent, after playing hundreds of games in rook and pawn endings, still hasn't been able to discern how to win, then I think he(she) should seriously look for another game to play. There is no future in chess for this person. You, of course, did nothing wrong.
  6. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    14 Feb '16 01:43
    Originally posted by Nimzojim
    If your opponent, after playing hundreds of games in rook and pawn endings, still hasn't been able to discern how to win, then I think he(she) should seriously look for another game to play. There is no future in chess for this person. You, of course, did nothing wrong.
    Agreed, it's the cooking equivalent of failing to boil an egg after 100 tries.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Feb '16 18:48
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The terms of service allow opening books, opening databases and online databases of games between human players. So any online resource which differs from a book only be being online is fine. The terms of service rule out asking another person for advice. They also rule out using an engine to find moves during a game as well as the use of end game tab ...[text shortened]... tion. Essentially you can do research, but the only computation you can do is in your own head.
    The ToS also implicitly rule out the scenario in Thread 167519 in which one player gets two other players to play each other by proxy unbeknownst to them. That is, player X starts a game with player Y and one move later starts a game with player Z (colors reversed), both of whom are above his own rating. He then plays Z’s moves against Y, and so on.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 08:551 edit
    The tables are now turned in a subsequent game. I have so far managed to resist insisting that he resign as mate with a rook and king is impossible.

Game 11562200
  9. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 09:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The tables are now turned in a subsequent game. I have so far managed to resist insisting that he resign as mate with a rook and king is impossible.

Game 11562200
    LOL, this just got interesting again.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 12:42

Game 11562200
    How long do you spend deciding what move to make?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '16 18:15
    How long do you spend deciding what move to make?
    5-10 seconds. Occasionally 20.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 04:45

Game 11562200
    Black's moves 83-89 looked more like those of a 1200 player! 😲 πŸ˜›

But then there's that 90th. Whew.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 09:33
    5-10 seconds. Occasionally 20.
    I thought you didn't spend long. There's a lot of blunders, if you don't want to spend longer I'd suggest making the move on the board and pausing before pressing the "make move" button just to give yourself a chance to see if you've hanged the piece.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 09:351 edit
    I thought you didn't spend long. There's a lot of blunders, if you don't want to spend longer I'd suggest making the move on the board and pausing before pressing the "make move" button just to give yourself a chance to see if you've hanged the piece.
    Thanks. Yes I make lots of really blunders and at times where I really stop and think it though I'm sure my play hits 1050 level πŸ˜›

Edit: seriously though, thanks for the advice, you are dead right.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 18:44
    Originally posted by SPswindler
    LOL, this just got interesting again.
    And so it goes on...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree