1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 12:01
    Seems kind of strange that we don't have a tournament to commemorate arguably the best player of all time (certainly the strongest dead player without a doubt!)

I wonder if this will ever happen? What are peoples thoughts on this? He was certainly a contentious personality who perhaps rubbed a few too many people up the wrong way over the years, but his chess was and is an inspiration to all chess players! Maybe the Sinqufield cup would have been better named after Americas best ever player? 🙂
  2. e4
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 12:43
    Maybe Iceland might hold one but one in American might be tricky both
    politically and fitting it into an already crowded calendar.

You will probably get players boycotting the USA one and who would sponsor it.
    (maybe all the publishing houses who have made money from the endless books about him.)

Let the 1972 match be his memorial. Regarding world-wide
    publicity no chess event before or since has ever topped that.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 12:50
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Maybe Iceland might hold one but one in American might be tricky both
    politically and fitting it into an already crowded calendar.

You will probably get players boycotting the USA one and who would sponsor it.
    (maybe all the publishing houses who have made money from the endless books about him.)

Let the 1972 match be his memorial. Regarding world-wide
    publicity no chess event before or since has ever topped that.
    I think you are right that getting sponsors would be difficult. It's interesting to note that Kasparov is pretty divisive in much the same way. He could never have a memorial in Russia, not while Putin's around anyway (which might be a long time yet).
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 13:42
    Mean and week souls hate him.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 13:52
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Mean and week souls hate him.
    The man was clearly ill, while a lot of things he said were pretty horrible, they have to be taken in the context of a man with mental illness..
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 16:43
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    The man was clearly ill, while a lot of things he said were pretty horrible, they have to be taken in the context of a man with mental illness..
    Mentally ill and STILL got to be world champ.
  7. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 17:30
    I seem to recall that Timmy B mentioned a Bobby Fischer Memorial Tournament in Colorado.
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 18:41
    Originally posted by byedidia
    I seem to recall that Timmy B mentioned a Bobby Fischer Memorial Tournament in Colorado.
    I meant a full international event like the Tal memorial. Strikes me that the Sinqufield cup by rights should be named after a chess player rather than a billionaire..
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 18:49
    I don't think it is necessary to declare him crazy in order to put up with his statements.
    This memorial tournament would be in any case held (if ever) in the glory of his chess skill, efforts and chess achievements as well for his sportmanship toward fellow players, not for his public persona in later years.
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Oct '15 17:58
    Seems kind of strange that we don't have a tournament to commemorate arguably the best player of all time (certainly the strongest dead player without a doubt!)

I wonder if this will ever happen? What are peoples thoughts on this? He was certainly a contentious personality who perhaps rubbed a few too many people up the wrong way over the years, but h ...[text shortened]... ayers! Maybe the Sinqufield cup would have been better named after Americas best ever player? 🙂
    I would agree, I didn't like Fischer personally, but his chess talent was never in doubt. Fischer's contribution to opening theory was very impressive, as were the quality of his games. I think Fischer deserves a memorial tournament, politics being what they are however, I have my doubts it will ever happen.
  11. SubscriberTheBigKat
    Editor
    Moves
    11 Oct '15 05:012 edits

I don't think it is necessary to declare him crazy in order to put up with his statements.
    This memorial tournament would be in any case held (if ever) in the glory of his chess skill, efforts and chess achievements as well for his sportmanship toward fellow players, not for his public persona in later years.

I agree!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree