😉
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 18:091 edit
    Originally posted by English Anderssen
    😉
    He claims to be 60 years old and retired. I think there is only one GM his age or better still at something like his peak, Korchnoi. Why do I think there would be no contest OTB, this dude against Korchnoi? I think Korch is something like 80 by now. It would be no contest.

He is currently the oldest GM still active on the chess circuit. In 07 he placed 2nd in a national open. Not sure which country, probably Russia. If you are interested, here is a list of the oldest GM's. I was surprised at the number of them granted GM at 80+

http://www.chess.com/article/view/older-chess-players
  4. Joined
    28 Dec '09
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 13:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He claims to be 60 years old and retired. I think there is only one GM his age or better still at something like his peak, Korchnoi. Why do I think there would be no contest OTB, this dude against Korchnoi? I think Korch is something like 80 by now. It would be no contest.

He is currently the oldest GM still active on the chess circuit. In 07 he placed 2 ...[text shortened]... at the number of them granted GM at 80+

http://www.chess.com/article/view/older-chess-players
    Great post, thankyou.
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 13:39
    Is anyone legitimate in the top 20? This is a genuine question, I am not good enough to recognise the difference. But what makes one Engine better than another? Regards
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 15:541 edit
    Originally posted by brit commando
    Is anyone legitimate in the top 20? This is a genuine question, I am not good enough to recognise the difference. But what makes one Engine better than another? Regards
    You can get a feel for their worthiness a little bit by looking at the number of losses.
    For instance, Maihai52 has 1200 losses. My guess is he is not using engines, at least it looks like that statistically. So the win loss ratio may be one tool to judge engine use.

Compare that to Cenerentola, 1591 wins, 16 losses, 99.4 % wins. Human? Right.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 17:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You can get a feel for their worthiness a little bit by looking at the number of losses.
    For instance, Maihai52 has 1200 losses. My guess is he is not using engines, at least it looks like that statistically. So the win loss ratio may be one tool to judge engine use.

Compare that to Cenerentola, 1591 wins, 16 losses, 99.4 % wins. Human? Right.
    Maihai52 is obviously an engine. Go back to the beginning of the graph and you'll see the losses..
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 18:14
    There's no way to stop engine users on correspondence chess sites.
    So the solution is not to play them.
    The player quoted is currently playing 63 games.
    Who are these opponents?
    If you think a player is an engine user, don't enter tournaments he is taking part in
    If you find yourself in one with him resign the games immediately.
    It's the same with sandbaggers.
    Cut off their pleasure at source.
  9. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 20:02
    I've asked this question before. What pleasure do these cheats get from winning with there engine use. I just don't get it.
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 22:35
    Originally posted by Steve45
    I've asked this question before. What pleasure do these cheats get from winning with there engine use. I just don't get it.
    I think it's an ego thing Steve.
    A bit like people who go to pub quizzes and google the answers to win
  11. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    02 Nov '15 16:23
    It would help if someone offered an independent service to measure the games of all players above, say 2300, and post the results here. For instance, "PlayerX matches EngineXX 99% of the time. PlayerY matches EngineXX 50% of the time."
  12. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '15 00:18
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    It would help if someone offered an independent service to measure the games of all players above, say 2300, and post the results here. For instance, "PlayerX matches EngineXX 99% of the time. PlayerY matches EngineXX 50% of the time."
    Numerous players here have done exactly that, numerous times. And the resultant debate/mud slinging gets ugly very quickly... Then all goes quiet and the cheats continue to 'prosper'.
    Venda has the best and only effective idea - starve 'em of games.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Nov '15 04:01
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Maihai52 is obviously an engine. Go back to the beginning of the graph and you'll see the losses..
    Yeah, he used to be a puny 1400 player until he woke up one morning and decided to be AWESOME~! instead.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 22:24
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Yeah, he used to be a puny 1400 player until he woke up one morning and decided to be AWESOME~! instead.
    Looks like a big switch happened on 14 august 2011. Before that he was in the 1800 crowd, after that 2000, up and up. By bad,.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree