The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 04:102 edits
    It seems chess needs Books as well.
    and maybe you need software.
    Good free chess pdf's are available in the net

youtube is full of GM's teaching chess

and there are some free programs like 'lucas chess' and 'arena'.
    this could be helpful
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 12:35
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    It seems Chess is a TIME eater.
    I mean chess needs Years. Many years.
    It needs time (and books) if you want to be better than a duffer. Very few people have sufficient native talent to get over the 1800-1900 hump without practice and coaching,
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 13:30
    Originally posted by moonbus
    It needs time (and books) if you want to be better than a duffer. Very few people have sufficient native talent to get over the 1800-1900 hump without practice and coaching,
    Some duffers are better than others. I think this guy just wants to be a better duffer.

My goal for chess when I originally started was to be able to beat anyone who hadn't studied chess at all and only played a hand full of times each year. Until the age of 38 I had played maybe 15 games of chess.

I achieved that goal long ago.

From my experience, and according to Purdy, tactics are more important than strategy. He was comparing two people who played for the Australian chess title. The guy who won was stronger at tactics while the guy who lost was stronger at strategy.

For new players board vision is key. Tactics helps to develop board vision. I can't tell you how many times I gave up my queen because I only looked at a small grouping of squares on the board. Where did that bishop come from?
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 17:42
    Yes, I agree: you can't play a move you don't see. Learning to see what moves are possible is a good start. Even good players sometimes don't see knight moves, for example. For people who learned that a knight moves in an "L" shape, I advise that they place coins or beans on all the squares a knight can reach and then tell me what they see. Suddenly the light goes on: a knight moves in a circle (or an octagon)--this insight improves their handling of knights about 150% in one swell foop.
  5. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 04:39
    I took some of your advice and looked up local chess clubs. I found that there are meetings in at least one city within 30 minutes of me every night of the week. My wife is agreeable and I shall take 2 hours every Wednesday and go play chess. A 1850 OTB player has agreed that he will teach me for an hour and we will play for an hour, for the very reasonable price of soda and appetizers. I start from the beginning this Wednesday. Very excited.
  6. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 18:15
    I have gone through a few of your games. I think I have a few simple tips to make you a much better player. First thing first. Know the basic objectives of opening game. Failure to do so there is no middle game to fight it out in your favor. Obviously there will be no endgame too. Try this. The objectives of opening game are (1) To move you either or both queen or king pawn (2) To place your minor pieces (K & B) at the center of the board (3) To castle and to place your queen at the safe but active location and (6) To connect the two rooks at the back row. These objectives have to be achieved fewer than 18 moves. Obviously opposites are true about how you treat your opponents. If any opportunity arises to disrupt your opponent from achieving those objectives than go for it.

On top of that there are a few rules you can follow. These two are very important (1) It is more valuable to move a piece that you have not yet moved rather than to move a piece that you have moved. (2) Do not move your pawn out of any clear strategy. Pawns that have been moved cannot be withdrew,, unlike the minor and major pieces.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 14:021 edit
    I am helping an older gentleman who is in his seventies with his chess just to see if I can do it never having helped anyone before in this way. He has the goal of becoming a class C player which I think is 1400-1600. I think this is achievable.

Never having helped anyone before I as not a little nervous, but after looking at his games I was immediately struck by what practical advice I could give him. He was losing many games that he should have won due to oversights in calculation. His ability to recognise threats was non existent so that is where we started. He also had a tendency to capture pieces and bring his opponents pieces into the game or onto better squares. In one game this actually resulted in his opponent getting a huge lead in development.

I am not a strong player myself but surely I can help this gentleman reach 1400? Surely.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 00:20
    Originally posted by Deputy Daddy
    I took some of your advice and looked up local chess clubs. I found that there are meetings in at least one city within 30 minutes of me every night of the week. My wife is agreeable and I shall take 2 hours every Wednesday and go play chess. A 1850 OTB player has agreed that he will teach me for an hour and we will play for an hour, for the very reasonable price of soda and appetizers. I start from the beginning this Wednesday. Very excited.
    You might want to find a night out for you wife while you hold down the fort.
  9. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 04:01
    Is there 10-15 books that you would recommend for beginners or someone of my level. I just started watch Robbies videos on YouTube. Hopefully I will learn something. How much do you think a few hours of instruction per week would go for? I'm not rich and my 7 kids have bleed my almost completely dry, but I do have some disposable income.
    Deputy, I only have 2 books of tatics, but i wasted money on the second one. get one with 500 or so tatics, then read it again and again. you will froget the exact board setup but not the trick.
  10. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 17:12
    I work from home and am always with the kids, I always hold down the fort and very rarely get an opportunity to even go to the bathroom alone. So when I ask for a few hours on a Wednesday night I am under no obligation to reciprocate and allow my wife to do the same.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 17:21
    I work from home and am always with the kids, I always hold down the fort and very rarely get an opportunity to even go to the bathroom alone. So when I ask for a few hours on a Wednesday night I am under no obligation to reciprocate and allow my wife to do the same.
    Cool.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 18:381 edit
    Originally posted by Bahari
    I have gone through a few of your games. I think I have a few simple tips to make you a much better player. First thing first. Know the basic objectives of opening game. Failure to do so there is no middle game to fight it out in your favor. Obviously there will be no endgame too. Try this. The objectives of opening game are (1) To move you either or both ...[text shortened]... ar strategy. Pawns that have been moved cannot be withdrew,, unlike the minor and major pieces.
    Sound advice. I would add a check list to go over mentally before making a move.

Always, without fail, check the following one-movers:

1) check all checks.
    2a) check for your own pieces en prise.
    2b) check for your opponent's pieces en prise.
    3) check knight forks (remembering that knights move in a circle, not an 'L' ).
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '16 14:27
    I assume you went. How did it go? Did he have you do any puzzles? It would be nice to have people explain the puzzles and not just a solution without explanstion.
  14. SubscriberZorroTheFox
    MAP since 090214!
    Round Rock, TX
    Moves
    23 Dec '16 10:47
    Normally, I do not read "Public Forums" on a regular basis. I sent a separate email on my analysis of the game. Have a Great Day!
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 15:48

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree