1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 18:425 edits
    I've just had this idea for a chess variant and i wondered what you all think.

It's a pretty basic concept. For the purpose of this variant, the central four squares constitute high ground. If a player can get a knight onto one of these squares, that knight will be considered artillery. This gives that knight the ability to sacrifice itself on any square on the board (as if it was a cannon ball).

I think this would be quite a fun addition 😀

EDIT: But does that mean they can just capture my queen from anywhere? Yes it does. 🙂

Another idea (that could possibly be played in conjunction) is giving bishops the option to 'spread the faith' instead of capturing. Ie, i can capture your knight with my bishop, but instead of doing that, i replace your knight with a knight of my colour and remove the bishop from the board..

In this way i could defend my queen from an artillery sacrifice by simply having the queen defended by a bishop. NxQ ..B(converts)Q
  2. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 20:541 edit
    I love the idea of increase the own army (the conversion) like in the Japanese chess 'shogi':

"Captured pieces are retained in hand, and can be brought back into play under the capturing player's control. On any turn, instead of moving a piece on the board, a player may select a piece in hand and place it on the board, The fact that no piece ever goes entirely out of play accounts for the rarity of draws in shogi"
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 00:11
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    I love the idea of increase the own army (the conversion) like in the Japanese chess 'shogi':

"Captured pieces are retained in hand, and can be brought back into play under the capturing player's control. On any turn, instead of moving a piece on the board, a player may select a piece in hand and place it on the board, The fact that no piece ever goes entirely out of play accounts for the rarity of draws in shogi"
    I've tried to learn shoji on a couple of occasions but have never found an english site to play on. I toyed around on some japanese sites but the lack of english instructions meant i had no idea what to do. 🙁
  4. e4
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 11:09
    There were a couple of lads who played Shogi from time to time at the Edinburgh club.
    (It looked liked Chines Scrabble to me).

They tried to get me interested but when I learnt about the drop piece rule,
    If you captured a piece or the other player sacked it you could drop it back
    on the board as one of your men, then I knew it was not my game.

Here is a very simplified reason/

White plays 1.Qe8+ Rxe8 2.Rxe8 is not mate because Black can drop the
    piece he has just captured back on the board.

5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 14:25
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    There were a couple of lads who played Shogi from time to time at the Edinburgh club.
    (It looked liked Chines Scrabble to me).

They tried to get me interested but when I learnt about the drop piece rule,
    If you captured a piece or the other player sacked it you could drop it back
    on the board as one of your men, then I knew it was not my game.

H ...[text shortened]... iece he has just captured back on the board.

[fen]4Rqk1/5ppp/8/8/8/8/5PPP/6K1 b - - 0 2[/fen]
    WOW I'd love to try regular chess with that rule. 😀
  6. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 04:43
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    WOW I'd love to try regular chess with that rule. 😀
    The only problem is the color of the chessmen, now we need in the worse case scenario another 32 just to 'drop' them when needed.......... umm maybe just the pawns, each 'resurrected' pawn has to start again in the second (or 7 for black) rank.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Nov '15 14:23
    The only problem is the color of the chessmen, now we need in the worse case scenario another 32 just to 'drop' them when needed.......... umm maybe just the pawns, each 'resurrected' pawn has to start again in the second (or 7 for black) rank.
    Yes obviously playing that with physical pieces would be a problem, but online would work. 🙂
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '15 04:50
    The pieces in Shogi are shaped like tombstons, one end pointy a bit. All the same color and you distinguish between pieces by which direction the pointy end is pointing.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 23:21
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I've just had this idea for a chess variant and i wondered what you all think.

It's a pretty basic concept. For the purpose of this variant, the central four squares constitute high ground. If a player can get a knight onto one of these squares, that knight will be considered artillery. This gives that knight the ability to sacrifice itself on any squ ...[text shortened]... from an artillery sacrifice by simply having the queen defended by a bishop. NxQ ..B(converts)Q
    Wasn't there an alternate version whereby a win was also possible by "occupying the hill"?
    (Pieces on d4,d5,e4,e5)
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Nov '15 23:23
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Wasn't there an alternate version whereby a win was also possible by "occupying the hill"?
    (Pieces on d4,d5,e4,e5)
    Yes that is king of the hill. You can play that on lichess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree