1. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 22:24
    Sure looks that way. He is 0.5-3.5 at London, and he has finished at, or near the bottom, in the last few super-tournaments he has played in.
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 10:44
    Originally posted by sundown316
    Sure looks that way. He is 0.5-3.5 at London, and he has finished at, or near the bottom, in the last few super-tournaments he has played in.
    Having listened to a number of interviews from him at events over the last year or so it looks like he isn't practising like he used to. I do think this will be his last invite to the GCT. Why have an unmotivated player? It is not like there aren't a lot of up and coming players. Where is Karjakin?? It would be inconceivable to me that he isn't invited to play as a main player next cycle after his World cup win, Candidates win and his excellent World championship!
  3. e4
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 13:09
    He said a while back these days he is playing for fun.

During the World Championship he tied for first with the other old Man Anand
    ahead of Nakamura and Caruana.

The Game v Caruana was classic Topalov. (see below)
    Caruana got his revenge in London in a tense tactical affair
    which could have gone either way.

Against MVL he missed a win again in a highly tactical and entertaining game.
    And against Nakamura another super game full of interesting twists and turns.

Tournaments need his attitude and style, he will step down when he is good and ready.

Last year he was outright winner of Norway Chess ahead of Carlsen and all
    usual crew. I'd rather have him in any tournament than Giri who has won nothing
    for the past 6-7 years and seems content to draw (currently on P. D4) his games forever.

Veselin Topalov - Fabiano Caruana, Champions Showdown (2016)

And what fun!
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 15:42
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Against MVL he missed a win ag ...[text shortened]... gh5 24. Bh6 Bg6 25. Bf8 Rf8 26. Qg5 Qa2 27. Re7 Qf2 28. Rg7 Kh8 29. Rg6[/pgn]

And what fun!
    I wouldn't be so down on Giri, the guy is only 20 years old and has been trying to cement himself as a regular top 10 player. Compare him with Karjakin, which of them has enjoyed more Elite tournaments in the last two or three years? I'd say it was Giri, wouldn't you?

At the end of the day, if it was easy to turn up and draw all your games at one of these tournaments, then there would be a lot more players doing it. The fact is that Giri has his style. He is a bit like Petrosian, not to everyones taste perhaps, but undeniably a strong player!

After his 100% draw record in the candidates i did notice he approached his next two events with a little more venom, but it didn't pay off. It takes time to change style, maybe he will manage it, maybe not, but i suspect Giri's best years are still to come. Most 20 year olds are battling it out at open tournaments, the fact that Giri is even at the table is an achievement at his age.
  5. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 23:03
    He got clobbered by Adams today in just 35 moves. He's playing almost as bad as I am right now!
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 06:17

Against MVL he missed a win ag ...[text shortened]... gh5 24. Bh6 Bg6 25. Bf8 Rf8 26. Qg5 Qa2 27. Re7 Qf2 28. Rg7 Kh8 29. Rg6[/pgn]

And what fun!
    Topolov is a talented guy no doubt, but if he's just in this for "fun" maybe it's time for him to stop playing in this tournament and let someone in who really wants to win.
  7. e4
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 10:401 edit
    Hi grade is dropping so next year he will not eligible for the grand tour etc...
    A year ago he was 2820 or there about now down to 2740.
    He did say at a recent press conference he no longer cares about the result
    and is playing to entertain. 25 odd years in the top flight, not bad at all and
    he has left us a wonderful collection of win or bust games.
    He may go on the Open circuit which is bad news for the others who make their living this way.

Regarding Giri (now P.5 D.5). Be honest. You have £10.00 and see two books
    both priced at £9.99. Topalov's Best Games or Giri's Best games. Which one do you buy.
    (come to think of it, Giri's book will be cheaper as it will very thin. Unless of course he includes the draws.)

Nakamura interview at the London Classic 2016 commentating after his two
    back to back and recovering from his first round loss to Wes So.

"It was quite nice to have Anish in Round 2. He’s quite strong, of course, but he’s perhaps a little bit less sharp than some of the other players."

Anand also slipped in a Giri draws joke in an interview at the same event.
    He needs a bit of Topalov in his games. He fears losing more than he enjoys winning.

Also, Anand made fun of Giri after round 2. Even players stopped taking him serious these days. His only accomplishment in the last 3 years used to be +1 against Magnus and recently he lost that one too.
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 13:121 edit
    Hi grade is dropping so next year he will not eligible for the grand tour etc...
    he has left us a wonderful collection of win or bust games ...[text shortened]... complishment in the last 3 years used to be +1 against Magnus and recently he lost that one too.
    Yeh i take your point, his games aren't that exciting compared with a sharp player like Topalov. I think it is important to have a player like him in the mix though.

One thing i really admire about him is that he has a keen understanding of what the balancing point is in a given position. We all start a game with the pieces balanced, white makes the first imbalance and the game is effectively a struggle to confuse your opponent into losing their grip on this balance. Giri is a true master at avoiding a bad position! There is a lot to be said about that and there is a lot to be learned also.

It is a lot easier to be a sharp tactician than it is to be a solid positional player (imo) as, to achieve the positional style, you have to be an excellent tactician as well! Ultimately Giri has really massive potential. He just needs to find a way so that he doesn't end up like Leko and leave a legacy of somewhat boring draws. He is still young, so i fully expect his game to improve. You don't see many 20 year olds at this level, Giri has done what he had to do in order to elevate and maintain his rating in order to be invited to the tour at all. Lets judge him in a couple of years as he matures.

Normally, when a player starts getting invited to these elite events, they go though a period of getting spanked by the old guard while they raise their game to a higher level. Well Giri turned up and went undefeated in a lot of his debut's. That is NOT easy to do!!
  9. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 15:38
    What Giri lacks in sharp chess he makes up for with sharp dressing style... and even then his wife does all the work!

Seriously though, you can't knock the lad. He's done remarkably well to get to the position he's in, you cannot deny that.
    He just needs to find that extra notch in his game to become a true world championship contender, and I feel this will come with age.

Topalov?
    He's just enjoying not having to stress about staying among the elite,
    or challenge for the world title... in his mind he's practically semi-retired.

I just wonder whatever happened to Kramnik... probably got stuck in a toilet somewhere.
  10. e4
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 17:10
    Hi Marinkatomb,

Let's first get his age sorted out. He is not 20 he is 22.
    Three years younger than Carlsen and Karjakin, 1 year younger than Wesley So.

When these players were 21-22 they were winning tournaments. Giri won the 'B' section of Corus in 2010.. That's it.

No such thing as a positional player, we all are and all top players
    have a very keen tactical ability. Where they differ is their style, their approach, their self belief.

And he has been getting spanked, he came bottom in this years
    Sinquefield Cup won by Wes So and bottom in Bilbao won by
    Carlsen, his P.14 Drew 14 in the candidates won by Karjakin
    on the back of drawing his l;ast 6 games at Tata Steele is still a
    running joke on every chess forum you visit.

But enough of me, why not hear the young man himself in an 18 minute interview.

He had a chance to win this years Tal Memorial, that would have shut everyone up.
    But missed the last round win v Li Chao mainly because Gelfand was beating Nepo
    and he thought a draw would suffice, suddenly Nepo swindled a draw and Giri had
    to win. He was winning but a bit too much cauition in his play and it was drawn.

He admits he is too cautious, he admits he need more drive. He praises Nepo
    for his approach to them game saying even when Nepo is worse he thinks he is wining.

He talks of players taking risks and winning 5-6 games on the trot
    but sometimes they lose one... .. Not the Larsen approach is it?

So he recognises himself the need to put some fizz in his games.
    As for him maturing, he is mature now, he plays old man's chess.

The Interview.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/tal-memorial-9-nepo-s-biggest-win
  11. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 19:11
    youtube analysis of Adams vs Topalov 1-0

YouTube
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Dec '16 14:181 edit
    he has left us a wonderful collection of win or bust games ...[text shortened]... complishment in the last 3 years used to be +1 against Magnus and recently he lost that one too.
    Yeah, poor guy, down to a mere 2740, jeez, he might commit hari kari....

If I ever got to that rating, I would make a golden shrine to it...🙂
  13. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    15 Dec '16 21:38
    Lost again to So in just 27 moves, but everybody is talking about that amazing Caruana win over Nakamura today. Sac'ed his Queen for two minor pieces and blew Naka off the board.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '16 15:333 edits
    I agree with GP, Topa is a real uncompromising player, Anish Girly is a little more cautious. GM Daniel King has some very good analysis. He states that the Queen sac was Caruana's seconds idea, Rustam Kasimdzhanov 😲

YouTube
  15. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    17 Dec '16 23:45
    Topalov lost again in Rd. 8 to Anand so he has only 1 point with one round to go. So is half a point up on Caruana going into the last round.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree