1. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 01:29
    What a slobber-knocker this one was, a draw in 93 moves. Magnus tried everything to out-tempo Karjakin in the ending, but could not find a move to do so. I think Magnus is starting to get frustrated that Karjakin hasn't folded under the pressure, as Anand always did.
  2. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 01:481 edit
    Originally posted by sundown316
    What a slobber-knocker this one was, a draw in 93 moves. Magnus tried everything to out-tempo Karjakin in the ending, but could not find a move to do so. I think Magnus is starting to get frustrated that Karjakin hasn't folded under the pressure, as Anand always did.
    I hate the idea of tiebreak,s deciding the World Championship, but it looks like that,s the way it,s going. Most chess fans thought it would be a walkover for Magnus, but I would'nt rule Sergey out just yet.
  3. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 02:59
    Carlsen has White next game, and I think he will go for broke.
  4. e4
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 04:03
    Game for noted up.

That is two games where Carlsen had all the
    winning chances and Karjakin has held him out.

Game 5 is Carlsen's last White at the first stage.
    Karjakin is White in Games 6 and 7. I'm thinking
    Calrsen needs something in Game 5, there again
    maybe not. Karjakin's opening prep seems pretty naff.

Blog Post 335
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 09:00
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]
    Game for noted up.

That is two games where Carlsen had all the
    winning chances and Karjakin has held him out.

Game 5 is Carlsen's last White at the first stage.
    Karjakin is White in Games 6 and 7. I'm thinking
    Calrsen needs something in Game 5, there again
    maybe not. Karjakin's opening prep seems pretty naff.

Blog Post 335
    [/b]
    Agreed, he would have gotten a greater opening advantage had he played the Colle proper but at least we got a middle game. His decision to take on c4 giving up the bishop pair and giving himself almost irreparable positional weaknesses was difficult to understand but the boy is a genius of defence.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 10:20
    One thing to bear in mind is that Karjakin will have two whites back to back (i believe in round 6 and 7). If he can keep the score level until then, then it will put enormous pressure on Magnus. I think Carlsen will be completely aware of this as well, which might mean he really goes for a win in game 5!

Game four was really excellent! It would be unfair to criticise the fact that there are four draws, all of these games have been well fought. I do worry a little that Karjakin has so far failed to really put Magnus under pressure. But saving these last two games is applying a certain sort of pressure in itself. If i was Karjakin, i would take great encouragement from saving these games. I think that Karjakin has obviously trained a lot at defending an inferior position, i just hope he hasn't trained himself out of seeking an advantage!
  7. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 11:50
    How does Karjakin get White 2 games in a row?
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 13:19
    Originally posted by sundown316
    How does Karjakin get White 2 games in a row?
    It is because Carlsen started with white. On the flip side, it means that Carlsen will get white in the last game. Personally i am not sure why they did it that way. Considering that the match is 12 games long, they could have broken it up into blocks of three games, followed by a rest day. That way Carlsen would have two whites in the first block, Karjakin gets two whites in the second block, and so on. Doing it that way would have been really exciting, as it would almost be like tennis in that Carlsen has serve in this round, Karjakin the next..
  9. e4
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 13:29
    It's the way the draw was worked out.

Games 1-6 Carlsen gets White in 1, 3 and 5, Karjakin 2,4 and 6..

In the second set of six games this is reversed.

Games 7, 9, and 11 Karjakin has White, Carlsen has White in 8,10 and 12.

---

Cannot agree that all four games have been hard fought. Games 1 and especially 2
    were non-events. Games 3 & 4 were intriguing.

I watched game 4 live, (hence the short blog - I was knackered at 2 at am.)
    I tried 3-4 minutes of live commentary from Svidler and some other guy.

I could not stand Svidler's boring, droning, lifeless uninterested voice.

Made do with amusing myself by reading the live comments at chessgames.com.

I thought at one time it would be over before time control.

Towards the end it was very amusing to see the engine lovers squealing with delight
    at the evals they were being shown not realising that computers cannot understand
    the concept of a fortress.

In a way it's a pity Carlsen's King run to a2 did not produce the desired effect.
    It would have been a classic if he had found a Zugzwang that forced the win.

In the end he resorted to a ploy that even I saw when the King was halfway towards a2.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 14:03

---

Cannot agree that all four games have been hard fought. Games 1 and especially 2
    were non-events. Games 3 & 4 ...[text shortened]... e win.

In the end he resorted to a ploy that even I saw when the King was halfway towards a2.
    I wouldn't be too disappointed by the first two games, there is always a certain amount of customary feeling out / faking involved in these matches. Would you take a risk in the first two games with no information to judge what openings your opponent (and their team!) has prepared specifically to defeat you? I would certainly like to get a feel for what sort of form my opponent was in (not to mention myself).

I think this match is shaping up to be an absolute classic! Karjakin has, to borrow a phrase i saw online "put his head in the Lions mouth twice and survived". How many times does that have to happen before the Lion starts feeling toothless?
  11. e4
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 14:56
    Hi Marinkatomb,

According to Simen Agdestein Carlsen's one time coach/trainer one of
    Carlsne's strengths (amongst many) is he does not fear losing or having
    a bad result. (missed a win etc...) he shrugs them off as though nothing happened
    and does not dwell on them. He knows he is a very good player and any such
    blemishes will not affect that..

What did he say in jest at the pre-match interview:

"I'm going to keep punching him until he falls down."
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 15:23
    Hi Marinkatomb,

According to Simen Agdestein Carlsen's one time coach/trainer one of
    Carlsne's strengths (amongst many) is he does not fear losing or having
    a bad result. (missed a win etc...) he shrugs them off as though nothing happened
    and does not dwell on them. He knows he is a very good player and any such
    blemishes will not affect that. ...[text shortened]... say in jest at the pre-match interview:

"I'm going to keep punching him until he falls down."
    Well that may be so, but let's not forget the final round in the Candidates when he very nearly failed to qualify to play Anand. The guy is human. If Karjakin stands any chance of winning, he will have to get in Carlsens head, i'd say he has made a pretty good start in this regard.

Carlsen has white tomorrow and knows if he doesn't win then he will have two black games in a row. I fully expect Carlsen to come out swinging in the next game, he will want to go into those two black games knowing that two draws are enough. The longer this match remains tied the greater chance there is of an upset. Karjakin could quite possibly defend his way to the title, it's been done before.
  13. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 16:41

---

were non-events. Games 3 & 4 ...[text shortened]... e win.

I enjoyed Svidler & Hansen's analysis. I was especially impressed when Svidler uttered "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock" late in the game when the fortress idea was on the horizon.
  14. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 19:23
    Carlsen nearly won with Black, so I don't think having 2 Black games in a row would bother him.

I'm still sticking with 12 draws, but I'll admit the last 2 have been a good fight.
  15. e4
    Moves
    16 Nov '16 19:30
    Hi Tony,

I missed that (thankfully) can his voice not change pitch.
    He sounds like a bored bee stuck inside a milk bottle..

I've seen him in post game analysis when he has just
    played one of his games. Very good but here very poor.
    He is not helped by the other guy. He needs a foil and at
    least try to sound and look interested in what is happening.

of course I've been brought up on Andrew Martin's live
    commentary at congress's so the bar is set very high.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree