1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 00:011 edit
    Just looking for opinions here. In terms of selecting opponents that will be most likely to increase one's chess skills, which type of selection would be the best choice:

A. Over 300 points higher

B. 100 to 300 points higher

C. + or - 100 Points

D. A number of opponents both stronger and weaker
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 00:271 edit
    I would say 100-300 points better. I generally set my seek at or near my rating with no max.

But you should play some lower rated players so they can get better.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 07:511 edit
    Players 300+ above your own level will most likely be playing moves you don't understand, so you won't learn as much as playing against those nearer your own level. Unless your opponent is kind enough to comment on the game afterwards, or publish annotations.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 13:29
    Originally posted by mchill
    Just looking for opinions here. In terms of selecting opponents that will be most likely to increase one's chess skills, which type of selection would be the best choice:

A. Over 300 points higher

B. 100 to 300 points higher

C. + or - 100 Points

D. A number of opponents both stronger and weaker
    First of all, don't take a lot of notice of the current rating unless it's "consistent " with the other 3
    It can be manipulated by some players to give a false impression and even if it isn't it can alter quite drastically by a costly loss
    A better guide to an opponent's ability is his 1 yr and 5 yr rating and i'd advise against playing anyone with a 1 year or 5 year rating >100 than your own.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 21:40
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I generally set my seek at or near my rating with no max.
    I do the same.
  6. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 23:52
    I'd suggest it's probably most effective playing against opponents roughly one to two hundred points higher than yourself.
    As the saying goes,, 'A man's reach should exceed his grasp.'
    Within this range you'll obviously lose more often than you win, but you should get enough close games in which you can hopefully see how your opponent is slowly but surely gaining the advantage; playing chess at the next level up, which is where you want to be.
    >200 points though, and probably all you'll learn is how you'll be punished mercilessly, the first mistake you make. That's my experience anyway. πŸ™‚
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 01:221 edit
    Originally posted by Tommovich
    I'd suggest it's probably most effective playing against opponents roughly one to two hundred points higher than yourself.
    As the saying goes,, 'A man's reach should exceed his grasp.'
    Within this range you'll obviously lose more often than you win, but you should get enough close games in which you can hopefully see how your opponent is slowly but surel ...[text shortened]... how you'll be punished mercilessly, the first mistake you make. That's my experience anyway. πŸ™‚
    You get to have your fingers burned with new tricks you have not fallen for yet as well.

I react much better to those now than I used to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree