1. The sky
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 19:50
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    Zugzwang (TSOOKS-vahng), position in which the move makes a worse result

Zwischenzug (TSVEYE-shun-tsook) - in-between move
    I always love to hear English-speaking people say "zugzwang", but the correct German pronunciation is close to "TSOOK-tsvoung" ("-oung" as in "young" ). And "Zwischenzug" is "TSVIshen-tsook" (with an "i" like in "wish" ).
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:09
    Originally posted by timmydoza
    Just quickly, how is 'fianchetto' pronounced? And what about 'Giuoco piano'?
    I think it's pronounced "Wooster."

Oh wait, never mind...

Any Dave Barry fans here? 🙂
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:33
    I generally make an attempt to pronounce chess words correctly, but I draw the line at pronouncing Ruy Lopez as "Rue-y Lopeth". (I pronounce Ruy correctly - It's Lopez that's the problem.) If I did that at my club, they'd either think that I had a severe lisp, or they'd haul me off to the funny farm.
  4. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 21:59
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I always love to hear English-speaking people say "zugzwang", but the correct German pronunciation is close to "TSOOK-tsvoung" ("-oung" as in "young" ). And "Zwischenzug" is "TSVIshen-tsook" (with an "i" like in "wish" ).
    Yeah, those are two I took problem too.

The thing is the z in german is a sound that isn't really in the EPA. We don't use it, despite it being in the IPA. That being said, even German, with its small speech base (after Hoechduetsch killed many dialectical differences) has many variable sounds. Russian is just the same and the Great Britain is just a catastrophe for standard sounds.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:09
    Originally posted by tamuzi
    Yeah, those are two I took problem too.

The thing is the z in german is a sound that isn't really in the EPA. We don't use it, despite it being in the IPA.
    EPA = English Phonetic Alphabet (is there even such a thing)?

What really surprised me was the "EYE" in the suggested pronunciation of "Zwischenzug". "I" is never pronounced as "eye" in German. If it's long (which it isn't in "Zwischenzug" ), it sounds like "ee".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree