1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 May '17 13:13
    Yeah, it was a sweet set up, and I'll probably never see the like again. It's on my wall with red felt pen ...
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 May '17 13:48
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Yeah, it was a sweet set up, and I'll probably never see the like again. It's on my wall with red felt pen ...
    I achieved a smothered mate once. I should have done the same.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 May '17 17:10
    Eladar's right: positional chess sucks. TAKE THE ROOK! TAKE THE ROOK! that's my new motto.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 May '17 17:49
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Eladar's right: positional chess sucks. TAKE THE ROOK! TAKE THE ROOK! that's my new motto.
    If you see something good, look for something better.

Perfect example is the game GP highlighted in this thread.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 May '17 19:33
    Originally posted by Tshotsho Khalapa
    This is really helping. I now have answers to most of the questions I have during a game of chess. Thanks.
    You're welcome.

"Promising" a pawn was supposed to be "promoting" a pawn. Auto-correct got me.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 May '17 23:14
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You're welcome.

"Promising" a pawn was supposed to be "promoting" a pawn. Auto-correct got me.
    Speaking of auto-dyscorrect -- I know this is totally off topic -- when I text my wife on the mobile phone that "I mislaid my keys" the stupid auto-dyscorrect sends "I mislaid my Jews" ! Oh, da trouble I seen.
  7. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    31 May '17 14:59
    Out of 10 games that I thought it could be better not to castle, I lost at least 8 of them as far as I could recall. But, ironically there was at least once I was beaten by the opponent that did not castle. In that game he won because of he didn't castle.Tthe end game was played with his king better positioned than mine.
  8. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    31 May '17 15:23
    It could be better if you set the target about you rather that the rating. Rating is the outcome of a process. The process is about learning to be better and better in many areas. Better solve the "areas" rather than outcome. Some of the targets you could adopt such as these (1) reduce unforced errors that allow your opponents to win materials and to check mate your king from 40% to 20% in one year (2) reduce the habit of not castling from 5 out of 10 to 2 out of 10. (3) increase efficiency of opening from the average 25 moves to complete to the average 18 moves and so on. It might take some times to reach 1900 or even you hit the wall far before that but the sure thing is your can climb up the rating. The "wall" IMO is around 1600. Moving above I think you need better than these. The three targets above I call them techniques. Mastering these simple techniques enables you to reach 1500-1600 pretty easy. But climbing above it is the battle of tactics or game plans or strategies or your game preferences.

Once upon the times I used to be an aggressive player. I tried to strive for initiatives but very lacked on defensive attitude. It did not bring me anywhere near 1400 to 1500 RHP equivalent. I have changed my strategy from aggressive to become more defensive. I found that it was the type of strategy that suit me.
  9. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    31 May '17 15:28
    The most popular exception if you giving up 2 minor pieces (3+3)=6 for a rook you are expecting to get two additional pawns , R +p+p (5+1+1)=7. This exchange is just fair, i.e. 6=7.
  10. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    03 Jun '17 04:03
    Originally posted by Tshotsho Khalapa
    I am an average chess player and would like to move from my current 1100 to 1900 in two years. I started playing chess when I was about 30 years old. I am now 50.Now I have only two questions:
    1. Is it possibe that I can reach 1900 score?
    2. If yes, what can I do to reach that score? I am near 1000 completed game, and I am just losing more games and winning less .

Thanks

Tshotsho
    I suggest look at different you tube videos.
    Look at different games from the opening you like to play.
    Look for endings, especially pawn endings, and play a lot with higher rated players over the board. Discuss the game with them. Ask questions. There is no wrong question.
    Pay attention to game you lost. Why did you lose?
    Avoid what you know is wrong. Do not play hope chess.
    Look for different candidates.
    Maybe use real board to look at different option.
    What you think your opponent might play on your intended moves.
    Always play the best move in your opinion.
  11. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '17 15:351 edit
    Originally posted by procyk
    I suggest look at different you tube videos.
    Look at different games from the opening you like to play.
    Look for endings, especially pawn endings, and play a lot with higher rated players over the board. Discuss the game with them. Ask questions. There is no wrong question.
    Pay attention to game you lost. Why did you lose?
    Avoid what you know is wron ...[text shortened]... nk your opponent might play on your intended moves.
    Always play the best move in your opinion.
    To add to all of these: Always assume your opponents will make the best answers to your game plans.
  12. Joined
    11 Aug '16
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 22:05
    Lots of very good advice here. I would also advise, if you plan to spend any time on openings spend them on one system opening as white and one forced defence or system defence as black. So something like Kings Indian Attack or London System as white and something like Centre Counter Game or Kings Indian defence for black. Then play them every single game for a year.
  13. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '17 02:35
    I did the same mostly. I have mostly only one opening if playing White, i.e. Queen Gambit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree