1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 02:541 edit
    Been playing 1.d4 a bit.

Don't know much about queens gambit so I have been looking at the game explorer. What I found was very interseting....

Red Hot Pawn black usually responds with d5 which usually ends up in queen's gambit accepted.

Masters play Nf6 followed by either queen's indian or ninzo indian depending on which knight white develops first.

One other thing...

Red Hot Pawn white plays 1.e4 much more tha 1.d4, while masters play 1.e4 more but it is much close to 50-50.

Why the difference?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 12:20
    The answer lies in the Johh Watson´s book "Secret Of Modern Chess Strategy: Advances Since Nimzowitsch".
    The same goes with frequency in Masters´ games only before 1900 and after.
    Has something to do with fashion and "theory saturation" with certain openings.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:15
    Do you believe it is an error for beginners to intermediate players to play the classical openings? Is there something to learn or do you think that modern opening philosophy should be taught right off the bat since it appears to be superior.
  4. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:381 edit
    On the contrary. I think beginners and intermediate players should play the classical openings before venturing into fashionable and hypermodern openings. Modern openings often defy general rules of thumb for openings that I teach beginners. The reasons for these deviations are murky at best and get in the way of teaching solid practices.
  5. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 10:22
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Been playing 1.d4 a bit.

Don't know much about queens gambit so I have been looking at the game explorer. What I found was very interseting....

Red Hot Pawn black usually responds with d5 which usually ends up in queen's gambit accepted.

Masters play Nf6 followed by either queen's indian or ninzo indian depending on which knight white develops first ...[text shortened]... tha 1.d4, while masters play 1.e4 more but it is much close to 50-50.

Why the difference?
    Red Hot Pawn is not representative because some players play a lot more games than the average.If you look at the top 5 of the most active players on here it is roughly 81,000 e4 to 33,000 d4.So a few can skewer the stats just by volume.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 14:44
    Originally posted by jb70
    Red Hot Pawn is not representative because some players play a lot more games than the average.If you look at the top 5 of the most active players on here it is roughly 81,000 e4 to 33,000 d4.So a few can skewer the stats just by volume.
    That ratio is slightly highr that rhp total ratio. I figured it had to do with the common advice I was given which was to play 1.e4 and look to play an open game.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 16:30
    As for prefered opening type to teach, could that be tied to preferred opening type to play?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '16 22:29
    News flash....

According to rhp games, 1.d4 has been refuted with Nf6.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 13:49
    Originally posted by byedidia
    On the contrary. I think beginners and intermediate players should play the classical openings before venturing into fashionable and hypermodern openings. Modern openings often defy general rules of thumb for openings that I teach beginners. The reasons for these deviations are murky at best and get in the way of teaching solid practices.
    I don't think it matters what opening you prefer playing.
    The important thing is tounderstand why the moves and responses are what they are.
    Ok the most common response to e4 is e5.
    Until you understand why that is you're not gonna get very far.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    I don't think it matters what opening you prefer playing.
    The important thing is to[b]understand why
    the moves and responses are what they are.
    Ok the most common response to e4 is e5.
    Until you understand why that is you're not gonna get very far.[/b]
    In Masters games the most common move to e4 is c5.

But I get your point.

I remember being told to put my pieces on good squares. I would ask what is a good square?
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 15:48

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree