1. Los Angeles
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 01:18
    Is a resignation ever considered impolite?
  2. Los Angeles
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 01:19
    and dibbs on the band name
  3. Joined
    11 Apr '11
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 12:56
    I don't like it when people resign an unclear or better position without giving a reason. I wouldn't mind if they said "Got to drop a few games I have too many going on" ,"Started a new job and don't have the time", or whatever the reason happens to be, but I invest a fair bit of energy into the games on here and to just have someone quit is imo impolite yes. Personally I try to always accompany a resignation with at least a "gg wp" or "I didn't notice that! wp, thanks for the game".
  4. e4
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 13:21
    Maybe some lads would rather just stop when all hope appears to be gone.
    They may have left a message but it got lost when they resigned or they forgot to do so.

I usually send a good game (or an excuse) PM the move before I resign or
    mention it in the other game if there is one.

Other may be so disgusted with themselves for playing a silly move they just quit.
    I wanted to resign a move on the spot a few days ago when I sent a move I was
    intending to look at on the analyse board. I was so lost in thought I simply clicked submit.

There should be a warning screen giving you 10 seconds to undo any mouse slips.
    OK maybe not. If there was I'd have a lot fewer games for the blog.

Game 11727595 I was going to give the interesting (and better) 25...Qh4 a good look.
    Instead of the automatic recapture on e3 which I was looking at on the game screen.
    I hit submit and now it all looks bad...very bad.
  5. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 16:52
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Maybe some lads would rather just stop when all hope appears to be gone.
    They may have left a message but it got lost when they resigned or they forgot to do so.

I usually send a good game (or an excuse) PM the move before I resign or
    mention it in the other game if there is one.

Other may be so disgusted with themselves for playing a silly move ...[text shortened]... e3 which I was looking at on the game screen.
    I hit submit and now it all looks bad...very bad.
    I have on occasion resigned games simply because I got too busy and I found that my addiction to online chess was impacting my life adversely. I hereby apologize to anyone who may have been annoyed by my premature resignations in the past.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 03:16
    Originally posted by Jerrard
    Only if you insult them when you do it
  7. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 06:22
    I once witnessed a club game and our board 5 had a smothered mate, but her opponent resigned so she couldn't play out this spectacular finish.
    This didn't go down well with our team (it didn't seem to matter that our girl kept saying she hadn't seen it and wouldn't have seen it.)
    So,I would agree that sometimes it might be better to play the game out if your opponent has a glorious mate and there are a few spectators there to share and maybe get some deflected glory.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 09:01
    It is considered bad form (called "sandbagging" ) to resign a won or drawn game in order to artificially deflate one's rating.
  9. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    19 Jul '16 17:03
    Sometimes I struggle on past the point of hope. Aggravated at a blunder maybe, and being stubborn. But, once, I resigned when my opponent had the only piece left, a rook. He sent me a message, "What did you do that for? It was probably a draw". Dang, now what do I do next time?!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree