1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '16 12:021 edit
    Do you consider this fair play?

I notice that in tricky situations where I could very easily make a wrong move, my opponent sends an in-game message through, implying game is over, nice win, well played; that sort of thing.

It's fine, it doesn't distract me; sport on TV does that well enough!
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Mar '16 08:11
    Originally posted by divegeester

I notice that in tricky situations where I could very easily make a wrong move, my opponent sends an in-game message through, implying game is over, nice win, well played; that sort of thing.

Never believe a compliment from your opponent during a running game. It's likely to be a trap.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '16 09:30
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Never believe a compliment from your opponent during a running game. It's likely to be a trap.
    My thoughts precisely.
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '16 12:29
    let the mind games begin !
  5. Joined
    25 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 01:55
    Originally posted by divegeester

It has become so common, the trick doesn't work anymore. I like to confuse them now with a new strategy: remaining silent when they're expecting a message.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 04:25
    Originally posted by Metacomedian
    It has become so common, the trick doesn't work anymore. I like to confuse them now with a new strategy: remaining silent when they're expecting a message.
    I send the messages for the next game during the current one. That always puts my opponents off-balance.
  7. Joined
    25 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 11:22
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I send the messages for the next game during the current one. That always puts my opponents off-balance.
    That's devious.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 10:18
    Reveal Hidden Content
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 17:43
    If a player put in their profile that they "love to chat during the game" and "feel free to chat" or something like that, I feel guilty if I "only" make moves, so I sometimes force myself to write something (but not just referring to the weather).

If you really think that chat was evil-minded, you might try Monty Python´s style with answers as such:
    1 - Yep, me too thinks this record is scratched.
    2 - Yep, that giant styrofoam-made penguin just passed by in my street.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '16 05:45
    It has become so common, the trick doesn't work anymore.
    I just found it curious. It got to the point in this particular game that it was counter-productive as every time a message came through I was doubling my concentration looking for the trap.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 14:52
    I usually just ask "have you ever played chess before?" halfway into the game and let them ponder that.
  12. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 17:27
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I usually just ask "have you ever played chess before?" halfway into the game and let them ponder that.
    To which I would reply: "Nah! But hey! It's just shifting pieces of wood around on a wooden board -- I mean, how hard can it be?"
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 16:16
    I saw this work in an OTB game in a tournament, in the middle of a complex position opponent said "good game I'll probably resign in a few moves" and the other guy sweated bullets and took more time than usual looking for a winning line that wasn't there, got him all rattled.
  14. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:13
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I saw this work in an OTB game in a tournament, in the middle of a complex position opponent said "good game I'll probably resign in a few moves" and the other guy sweated bullets and took more time than usual looking for a winning line that wasn't there, got him all rattled.
    That's evil.
  15. Joined
    06 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 20:53
    Ive sent a messaga like this "missed the check mate" after their latest move when they get bhind my lines. And there was non there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree