Topalov to beat Svidler–down
    Yi to beat Liren–down
    Wojtasek to beat Giri–draw
    Vachier–Lagrave to beat So–draw
    Nakamura to beat Adams–up
    Eljanov to beat Jakovenko–draw
    Caruana to beat Mamedyarov–down
    Karjakin to beat Andreikin–draw

Today, my predictions suffered a setback. But on to tomorrow!
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Sep '15 19:44
    Originally posted by HikaruShindo
    I had
    Topalov to beat Svidler–down
    Yi to beat Liren–down
    Wojtasek to beat Giri–draw
    Vachier–Lagrave to beat So–draw
    Nakamura to beat Adams–up
    Eljanov to beat Jakovenko–draw
    Caruana to beat Mamedyarov–down
    Karjakin to beat Andreikin–draw

Today, my predictions suffered a setback. But on to tomorrow!
    I feel disappointed for Wei Yi, he had his chances and i'm amazed he didn't play ..Re2+ (don't know the move but the bishop is still on f3).

But SVIDLER!!!! What an amazing amazing game!! To have mate on the board as well.
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    20 Sep '15 21:201 edit
    Yes, great game for Svidler. I thought he had slipped up a few times, but he pulled out the win.

In the Wei Yi game, yes, it looks like he had chances here:

After 23…Re2+ due to the unfortunate position of the White knight.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Sep '15 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by HikaruShindo
    Yes, great game for Svidler. I thought he had slipped up a few times, but he pulled out the win.

In the Wei Yi game, yes, it looks like he had chances here:
    [fen]2k1r3/ppp2N1p/1n3ppP/8/7R/5bP1/PP1K1P2/2R5 b - -[/fen]
    After 23…Re2+ due to the unfortunate position of the White knight.
    I think Wei Yi could come back tomorrow (i hope) but he is going to have his work cut out. Ding Liren is peaking right now, it might be a year or two before wei yi can challenge for a place in the candidates but if he could somehow get to the final here and qualify it would be great news for chess. We need another super star junior. With a year to prepare, he could be a real unknown quantity to mix up the candidates. 🙂

EDIT: He is playing Tata A Group next year, can't wait to see him play Magnus and all the stars. 🙂
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Sep '15 11:51
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    But SVIDLER!!!! What an amazing amazing game!! To have mate on the board as well.
    Not to mention that it's such a pretty mate! Not a boring one-move-too-late behind-the-pawns mate, nor a random, there-just-happened-to-be-a-trap knight mate in the middle of the board, but a proper, neat, clean driving the king to his doom..
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Sep '15 12:11
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Not to mention that it's such a pretty mate! Not a boring one-move-too-late behind-the-pawns mate, nor a random, there-just-happened-to-be-a-trap knight mate in the middle of the board, but a proper, neat, clean driving the king to his doom..
    It really blew my mind actually. It seems pretty clear that white is winning, the connected pawns seem to present a clear strategy...get a new Queen or cost black a piece or two preventing it. But the vision he shows at the end is just incredible! He uses the whole board and finds some beautiful geometry. Very elegant play! I really fancy him to go on and win this now. An in form Svidler in a knock out format is hard to bet against, It's him or Nakamura for me... 🙂
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 23:48
    Topalov to beat Svidler–Wrong
    Yi to beat Liren–Right
    Wojtasek to beat Giri–Wrong
    Vachier–Lagrave to beat So–Right
    Nakamura to beat Adams–Right
    Eljanov to beat Jakovenko–Right
    Caruana to beat Mamedyarov–Wrong
    Karjakin to beat Andreikin–Right

Five right, three wrong.
    For the next round:
    P. Svidler to beat W. Yi
    M. Vachier–Lagrave to beat A. Giri
    H. Nakamura to beat P. Eljanov
    S. Karjakin to beat S. Mamedyarov

A very interesting World Cup so far, with several great upsets.
  8. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 13:56
    The final between Svidler and Karjakin is absolutely ridiculous. What a blunder party!
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 15:03
    Originally posted by Fanakick
    The final between Svidler and Karjakin is absolutely ridiculous. What a blunder party!
    Yes what a fight!! Karjakin has nerves of steel, that win in the opposite colour bishops ending was just insane!
  10. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 15:45
    If you to run a standard play tournament, then run a standard play tournament; if you want to run blitz tournament, run one of those. But to use blitz / rapidplay as a method of tie-breaking players after they've drawn their mini-match seems stupid to me. Instead of that, what I would do is toss a coin to decide who goes through if the case of a drawn match _before_ the first game. That way the player who loses the toss knows that he/she has to go for a win in at least one of the games.
  11. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 18:06
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    If you to run a standard play tournament, then run a standard play tournament; if you want to run blitz tournament, run one of those. But to use blitz / rapidplay as a method of tie-breaking players after they've drawn their mini-match seems stupid to me. Instead of that, what I would do is toss a coin to decide who goes through if the case of a drawn match ...[text shortened]... he player who loses the toss knows that he/she has to go for a win in at least one of the games.
    I agree in principle, but I would start with the blitz tie-breaker to achieve the same pre-match knowledge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree