1. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 03:19
    If the piece putting the king in checkmate moving would put his own king in check. Is that even possible?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 05:57
    Originally posted by MilkyJoe
    If the piece putting the king in checkmate moving would put his own king in check. Is that even possible?
    no bro
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 12:081 edit
    The idea is when you move a piece to check the opponent king and it exposes your king to a check, it is then the opponents move and if it were allowed, he would just remove your king since it takes another move on your part to do the same to the opponent so game over.

So they just say, no can do senior, you can't do something, make any kind of move, that ends up with your own king in check.
  4. Joined
    01 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 13:56
    I don't mean moving a piece to put your opponent in checkmate puts you in check, but when in a checkmate, the piece that could capture the king couldn't take the king without putting himself in check.
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 16:04
    I don't mean moving a piece to put your opponent in checkmate puts you in check, but when in a checkmate, the piece that could capture the king couldn't take the king without putting himself in check.
    Checkmate ends the game so anything that could happen after it is irrelevant.
  6. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 17:031 edit
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 19:063 edits
    I understand what Joe means. It does seem like chess has loopholes. I started a thread a while back with this position:

White is checkmated; however, the logic seems off. If white captures the knight being guarded by black's king, black would then have to capture the king by traveling into check. This makes no sense, since stalemate is based on the idea that the king can't travel into check. But then again white can't travel into check in the first place (to capture the knight), so it evens out.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 21:12
    Originally posted by vivify
    I understand what Joe means. It does seem like chess has loopholes. I started a thread a while back with this position:

[fen]8/8/7b/8/3PPn2/4K1r1/R2n1N2/2k5 w - - 0 1[/fen]

White is checkmated; however, the logic seems off. If white captures the knight being guarded by black's king, black would then have to capture the king by traveling into check. ...[text shortened]... again white can't travel into check in the first place (to capture the knight), so it evens out.
    How is taking the white king with the black rook 'moving into check'?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 21:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The idea is when you move a piece to check the opponent king and it exposes your king to a check, it is then the opponents move and if it were allowed, he would just remove your king since it takes another move on your part to do the same to the opponent so game over.

So they just say, no can do senior, you can't do something, make any kind of move, that ends up with your own king in check.
    In other words, instead of checkmate ending the game, pretend that you have to take the opponent's king to win.

The fact that it is illegal to take (kill) the opponent's king is creating the issue here. If killing a king wasn't so looked down on when Chess rules came into being I think modern players wouldn't be so confused.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 08:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How is taking the white king with the black rook 'moving into check'?
    Huh? I never mentioned the rook.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 18:48

[fen]8/8/7b/8/3PPn2/4K1r1/R2n1N2/2k5 w - - 0 1[/fen]

White is checkmated; however, the logic seems off. If white captures the knight being guarded by black's king, black would then have to capture the king by traveling into check. ...[text shortened]... again white can't travel into check in the first place (to capture the knight), so it evens out.
    It makes perfect sense. White's King would die first in a free-for-all with king-capturing allowed, so white can't take the N on d2.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 23:22
    Huh? I never mentioned the rook.
    Why? Did you miss it or did you simply choose to ignore the win?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 23:43
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It makes perfect sense. White's King would die first in a free-for-all with king-capturing allowed, so white can't take the N on d2.
    Not if you choose to ignore the winning move so that you can say you have a point.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 06:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Not if you choose to ignore the winning move so that you can say you have a point.
    Say what?
  15. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 07:032 edits
    I'm confused by this whole thread?

You can't expose yourself to check and both Kings can never occupy adjacent squares as this would mean travelling into check.

That's the crux of it surely?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree