1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 14:22
    Originally posted by venda
    I know ELO make music.I have several of their recordings but I didn't know they did chess ratings!!
    Quite right. Arpad Elo, who invented the rating system that most organizations use, did not capitalize all of the letters in his surname.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 14:251 edit
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    What is yours?
    My USCF ( "real Elo" ) blitz rating is 1927. My current USCF standard is just under 1900 because in my last event I lost to an underrated 18 y.o. woman who took lessons from me when she was in middle school. Now, she gets lessons from a master.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 15:50
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Based on your move choices, our estimate of your Elo rating is 1658, with a 95% confidence interval of [1444...1872].

😲 I think this is rather suited to Blitz than to correspondence 🙂
    So I did repeat the test:

Based on your move choices, our estimate of your Elo rating is 1714, with a 95% confidence interval of [1507...1921].

Actually the problems seemed not ot be the same.
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 16:10
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    So I did repeat the test:

Based on your move choices, our estimate of your Elo rating is 1714, with a 95% confidence interval of [1507...1921].

Actually the problems seemed not ot be the same.
    it looks very similar, but still I think is a blitz test.
    -
    The real ELO comes from FIDE.
    -
    they only way to know the real ELO is playing in some FIDE tournaments
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 18:27
    I was late to move in three occasions.

The examples were in "unlogical" order, often like from a handbook in tactics for medium players or advanced beginners.

I am still curious, yet, about one ending which I tried to remember, something like this-->

I played 1. b6 but still do not know what's the best move.

Opposition/Triangulation (?) or advancing the Pawn (which? "a" or "b"?)
    I am not sure if the position of Kings is right.

Anyhow, I knew I moved right in some heavy positions (which looked very familiar), but I knew that I knew it only because of my so-called "general chess culture" not because of my talent or tactical ability.

I am often literally blind OTB as I can't see single move in advance.
    (I still sometimes think on missed Queen sacrifice from Serbian semifinal in March.)

Uh, I am so looking forward to 2 OTB tournaments in a row in November, I think I only now after a year regained that lost spirit of OTB chess, that I stopped looking "the best move" but instead the most unpleasant for my opponent.

People rushing to the same place, all of a kind people, young old middle-aged, with towels around their necks everyone bringing a half liter bottle of a still water, all going to same goal, to the same building, to a hall, full of tables on which are chess sets placed.

Don't worry about clumsy played opening, just endure, show no cowardness and hesitation, endure and fight, when you think you're lost, don't give up, specially if a good looking girl/woman is close and perhaps watches you secretly, play further, give punches back, and then, in the fifth hour, you'll notice fear on your opponent's face, you will see that he is not sure what to do, and then - crush him!

And go singing to your room with a copy of score sheet, analyze the game quickly on your laptop, and then go to nice cocktail bar or restaurant.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Oct '15 16:38
    Originally posted by vandervelde

The examples were in "unlogical" order, often like from a handbook in tactics for medium players or advanced beginners.

I am still curious, yet, about one ending which I tried to remember, something like this-->

[fen]8/p2k4/8/PP1K4/8/8/8/8 w - -[/fen]

I played 1. b6 but still do not know what's th ...[text shortened]... sheet, analyze the game quickly on your laptop, and then go to nice cocktail bar or restaurant.
    I know in positions like this you have to get the pawn to row 7 without checking.
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 10:14
    Originally posted by vandervelde

[fen]8/p2k4/8/PP1K4/8/8/8/8 w - -[/fen]

I played 1. b6 but still do not know what's th ...[text shortened]... sheet, analyze the game quickly on your laptop, and then go to nice cocktail bar or restaurant.
    In the puzzle you are attempting to remember the correct first move is 1.a6 but in this position 1.b6 is sufficient.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree