1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 08:48
    Which do you prefer - to play an open in your city or to travel somewhere so it-s like a mini holiday?
    In the latter case, what-s your routine at the hotel?
    Like real chess freak or like a casual tourist?

1. Like a chess player
    Sleeping til noon, like Fischer, quick brunch and coffe and then preparation for the opponent, then walk around, then grab abottle of water and go to the tournament hall, then on the way back you must analyze the game on your smartphone, then late dinner and checking the tournament site o see the name of next
    opponent. Then drink night cap in some still open pub and psychological preparation for the tomorrow's game and digesting the game you'd played.
    Then TV in hotel room and giving an oath to yourself - I quit chess!
    2. Or, as a casual tourist:
    "I came here to see something new and learn about local culture..." You wake up early, don't skip complimentary breakfast because it's free, the you book all available trips, and never detached yourself from several maps and brochures.
    You are almost always late for your game.
    You spend a lot of money on phone calls and smses.
    After half of tournament you regret you traveled at all.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 16:292 edits
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Which do you prefer - to play an open in your city or to travel somewhere so it-s like a mini holiday?

1. Like a chess player
    Sleeping til noon, like Fischer, quick brunch and coffe and then preparation for the opponent, then walk around, then grab ...[text shortened]... lot of money on phone calls and smses.
    My info is a bit dated, but when I used to play in open tournaments, I preferred to stay local, no more than 1-2 hr's travel time since I like sleeping in my own bed. Rounds were normally 2 a day, so I woke up, exercised (normally running 3-5 km) breakfast, then out the door. I always packed my chess things in an business case, including chess pieces, folding paper tournament board, 1-2 informants, clock, food, water bottle, score sheet and pen's. Between rounds I always tried to go to the skittles room and review the game with my opponent. Ate lightly between rounds, but a heavy supper, then off to bed early. Those were the 80's and 90's. Seems like long ago, but many good memories from those days. 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 23:27
    I was obsessed with my pen could run dry, so I always carried with me extra refills.
  4. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 09:50
    Originally posted by vandervelde

1. Like a chess player
    Sleeping til noon, like Fischer, quick brunch and coffe and then preparation for the opponent, then walk around, then grab ...[text shortened]... lot of money on phone calls and smses.
    i play 3 or 4 congresses a year was third once, in the minor under 1450 my rating is 1098 highest has been 1108 that why i take the RHP rating with a pinch of salt,
    perth congress on 15th to 17th february ,only a mile from my house which is good
    played on board one last year top 3 are lie boards, first time i played on one, don't laugh but it's really annoying as no letters or numbers on the sides, trying to write down the notation was a nightmare
    a mini holiday away tournaments are good unless you have to wait ages for the last meaningless game,
    the thing that annoys me most tournaments give free entry to any one with a title those are the ones who will win the money but the rest have to pay £20-£25 to play
    see the same faces on the tour, normally an ungraded shark shows up a guy got disqualified in dundee last year, 5 minutes into first game his wife phoned him to see how he was getting on, even having a phone switched on is strictly taboo
    played in first congress 6 years ago never imagined it would be so exhausting you get to meet some very good players and some very strange players,
    roll on Perth i have the buzz already one game on friday then two on saturday, really need at least 2 wins to make sundays last two more interesting.

have you ever won a tournament?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:52
    Originally posted by roma45
    i play 3 or 4 congresses a year was third once, in the minor under 1450 my rating is 1098 highest has been 1108 that why i take the RHP rating with a pinch of salt,
    perth congress on 15th to 17th february ,only a mile from my house which is good
    played on board one last year top 3 are lie boards, first time i played on one, don't laugh but it's really ann ...[text shortened]... d at least 2 wins to make sundays last two more interesting.

have you ever won a tournament?
    Yep, plankton pays the awards for sharks. They even get hotel free or at least a substantial discount.
    I was twice "that close" to award in my rating group on opens on 2015 and 2016.
    But closest to win I was when I was 17 on junior ch of my commune. I was a surprise then, made a few draws against tired candidate for masters and few quick wins against weaker players, and was in the lead. (9 rounds Swiss, at the time it was no "real" Swiss, but only kind, the table as hung on the wall, the results were inscripted by red and black flo-master pens...) Then I played 2 games on same Saturday. After a good win I sat at the table with easy attitude against a guy whom I underestimated and defeated several times before. He played cynically as he had nothing to lose, I was sloppy in the opening, and after 20 moves it was dull drawish position, and I lost. I won "I category" but I think this is the embryo of my decision to quit chess.

After my comeback in 2014, it was for me like Austin Powers after defrosting.
    Only now I feel I came back.
    I like two wins in one day, It happened once only, this November.

I recognize tiredness in experienced masters' eyes, how they make moves they know they are bad but they wait for weaker opponent to make mistake.
    I recognize thender love in an old lady's eyes as she watch her evene older husband playing even she doesn't have a clue of chess game.
    I recognize boredom in typical chess amateur who just placed a crime novel on the table, half a chocolate and bottle of still mineral water next to his chess clock.
    Some of them are well dressed, perhaps in a hunt for adultery, some of them are fat and with neglected appearance, with ugly toe nails in their stinky sandals.
    Some of them drink beer or white wine during the game.
    I give them a look of contempt and put cotton in my ears and I swear to myself: I must win this game!
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 17:44
    I take it that chess is a game you love to hate and hate to love.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree