1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    31 Dec '11 01:372 edits
    BattleTech is a board game of futuristic combat centered around tank sized armored power suits called Mechs. I found a free online version of it. I played a bit with it and wonder if anyone wants to control (indirectly through me) a Battle Mech. We can run a battle, you guys vs AI, and I'll describe it.

Any interest?

Flavor Imagery and Info
    YouTube
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '11 04:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    BattleTech is a board game of futuristic combat centered around tank sized armored power suits called Mechs. I found a free online version of it. I played a bit with it and wonder if anyone wants to control (indirectly through me) a Battle Mech. We can run a battle, you guys vs AI, and I'll describe it.

Any interest?

Flavor Imagery and Info
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lOkCqcBfxU
    I'm slightly (ok maybe more than slightly... a lot more) interested.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    31 Dec '11 08:312 edits
    Ok then.

Tomtom, you are piloting a light reconnaissance Mech called a Wasp. It is quick on it's feet but it's real mobility advantage is it's jump jets. The Wasp can leap about the battlefield. It is excellent for scouting in rough terrain.

Your Wasp has a Medium Pulse Laser as a primary weapon. In addition it has a flamethrower and some Small lasers for close range combat.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wasp

Wasp WSP-1S
    20 tons IS TW non-box set

Movement: 6/9/6
    Engine: 120
    Heat Sinks: 10

Internal: 33 (Endo Steel)
    Armor: 53/69 (Ferro-Fibrous)
    HD: 3 6
    CT: 6 7 ( 2)
    RT: 5 6 ( 2)
    LT: 5 6 ( 2)
    RA: 3 5
    LA: 3 5
    RL: 4 6
    LL: 4 6

Medium Pulse Laser [RA] 4 Heat
    Flamer [LT] 3 Heat
    Small Laser [RT] 1 Heat
    Small Laser [RT] 1 Heat

BV: 423 Cost: 1,725,120 Cbills

You are running a patrol at the edge of your small mercenary band's territory when you see a scout vehicle for your rival - the Bandits!

It's a wheeled vehicle mounting an SRM2 on the front (Short Range Missiles fired 2 at a time) called a Chevalier. While it is nearly twice as massive as your WASP and moves more quickly across the ground it is not nearly so agile or well armed. You decide to attack and destroy it before it can cause any problems. It's very close to (just to the west of) some of your warehouses where you keep supplies. Your Wasp is to the south of the warehouses. There are six large warehouses and a few small buildings as well. You are currently standing on pavement.

The Chevalier sees you and begins to move. Instead of going east into the warehouses it veers south and begins to pass in front of you. Your turn to move!

He's 8 hexes away, just close enough for his SRM to fire at you and just out of range of your laser rifle. It's also close enough for you to sprint over to him; you could even try to ram the vehicle. Other options include holding still for accuracy, moving north into the warehouses, ducking behind a waist high (to a Mech) boulder, leaping on top of the boulder, or sprinting into position behind the vehicle to shoot it in the back.

What do you do?
  4. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    31 Dec '11 12:50
    Sounds fascinating. Happy to join in.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    31 Dec '11 23:084 edits
    Talzamir is manning a reserve light 'Mech on duty to respond to any encounters. When he hears that there is a contact he races over. His 'Mech is called the Flea, and it is very small for a combat vehicle. However this variant of the Flea can run very very fast. It's careful walking speed is equal to the Wasp's full sprint, and it has a few jump jets as well. Running it can get to the scene of the battle quickly. It's Medium Laser has longer range than the Wasp's Medium Pulse Laser (though less accuracy), but it has no other weapons.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flea

Flea FLE-14-BT
    15 tons IS Introductory Box Set

Movement: 9/14/3
    Engine: 135
    Heat Sinks: 10

Internal: 26
    Armor: 20/55
    HD: 3 2
    CT: 5 3 ( 1)
    RT: 4 2 ( 1)
    LT: 4 2 ( 1)
    RA: 2 1
    LA: 2 1
    RL: 3 3
    LL: 3 3

Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat

BV: 284 Cost: 1,318,475 Cbills

However he is intercepted before he arrives!
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    01 Jan '12 00:062 edits
    Talzamir is running north along a road in fairly open terrain. Off to the left is a lake and some small forests.

Then, from across the lake a Darter Scout Car - a small fast transport with a single short range machine gun mounted on the front - drops off a platoon of infantry in a copse of trees and begins to go around the small lake in a course that would intercept the Flea - if the Flea weren't so darned fast. As it is Talzamir can just run by with minimal chance of being hurt, but this would leave some infantry behind him doing something sinister. Will he 1) charge the empty transport with a body slam attack, or 2) Stop moving and snipe from a distance, or 3) run west to dodge behind the lake and trees and try to get the infantry, 4) get close to the scour car and then blast it, or 5) run past and ignore it, or 6) ????
  7. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 10:59
    Much depends on my orders. I consider that my orders are to support the Wasp, and will act accordingly unless ordered otherwise. The situation so far involves light units on both sides, making this look like a skirmish between two patrols, or perhaps us intercepting a hostile force on another mission. The first strategic goal is to avoid damage to any of the friendlies - either mech of the supplies - the second goal being to secure the same for a longer time, by eliminating the enemy force.

So far Tomtom seems to have things in hand. The hostile there has stopped moving for the warehouses and is more inclined to evade, giving Tomtom the initiative. I radio my status and situation and tell him in a few words what I'm up to and then proceed with attack. Manning a very light vehicle, I deem it best that the Wasp engages the Chevalier before I do, allowing us both to survive the encounter.

The worst enemy of a lightly armored, fast unit is an area where movement is limited and visibility nominal - such as a forest. As first priority, I decide to keep clear of the woods and any hidden dangers that may lurk there. The mobility of the infantry is negligible without a transport, and my laser should outrange anything the enemy infantry has. The lake also hampers mobility, especially that of infantry, while the copse of woods can give it some cover.

My laser is not the most accurate of weapons, especially at range against targets as small as infantry soldiers. I consider firing at the forest itself, setting it on fire and harming the infantry indirectly, and may do so eventually - but for now, start with the first task of the day.

I move to optimal range of the transport without exposing myself to attacks from the infantry and without allowing the transport to escape, and blast at it with my lasers. Staying clear of the forest as best I can, and using the lake as shield, I also try to keep out of the range of the machine gun on the transport, but if I need to take a few bullets to burn the car, so be it.

As soon as the car is demobilized I proceed around the infantry so I can support the Wasp against the Chevalier. The hostile infantry can wait for now. Without transport it is not going to go anywhere.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:141 edit
    As the Darter clears the north shore of the lake Talzamir's Flea stalks quickly forward to take it out. He faces it head on from out of range of the machine gun and blasts it directly in the front, damaging the front axle!

Weapons fire for Flea FLE-14-BT
    Medium Laser at Darter Scout Car (Bot1); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits FR
    Darter Scout Car (Bot1) takes 5 damage to FR. 5 Armor remaining.
    Critical hit on movement system. Roll is 9; (w/ +2 bonus)
    Moderate damage, +2 to driving skill rolls, -1 MP.

It is Talzamir's turn to move again. The Darter will move second. The Flea and the Darter are facing each other head on at a range of 5. The car is coming around the north edge of the lake; the infantry are still in the trees across the lake. If you turn and run back where you came from you can keep out of range of the machine gun even if he chases you. Standing still for maximum accuracy is also an option but that will likely give the car a chance to shoot you or even sneak around behind and get you in the back.
  9. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 09:591 edit
    The front-mounted machine gun is a threat only as long as I am in front of the car. The damage to the front axle should make it harder for the car to make quick turns, especially on what is likely to be soft ground on the side of the lake. While not a problem to a light, fast mech, such terrain can be difficult for a car nose damage. It's tempting to move away, but even when winged the car still moves, and can redeploy the infantry.

I go for a quicker solution, and move forward and to the side, keeping my front armor towards the car, and wait until at point blank range before using the laser again, blasting once more at the damaged front of the car. I'm aware that this will probably mean getting fired at by the machine gun, but moving sideways relative to the car and keeping my best armor towards it should limit the damage. The idea is to move in an arc, making use of surprise and the limited maneuverability of the car, and move beside the car so that the lake and the car are between me and the last known position of the infantry. Once beside the car, possibly using the car as a shield, I slam the side of it, with intent of having the car end up in the lake. Preferably upside down.

Next actions depend on the success or lack thereof in the duel with the armored vehicle, and any reports from Tomtom vs. the Chevalier, the actions of the infantry, and any new forces becoming apparent. As default plan, I keep evading the infantry - not because it would be dangerous but because taking it out with a laser would be time consuming, especially as Tomtom has a flamethrower in his arsenal - and continue towards the other two mechs, making sure that Tomtom won't end up between me and the Chevalier. Having the Chevalier between me and Tomtom would be far better, but an angle is okay. Especially an angle above 90 degrees.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 08:061 edit
    Talzamir stalks his 'Mech up close to the car which suprisingly slows to a stop and carefully aims the machine gun. With the lake on the other side of the car, at point blank range, both the Darter and the Flea fire:

Weapons fire for Flea FLE-14-BT (ATY)
    Medium Laser at Darter Scout Car (Bot1); needs 5, rolls 8 : hits (using Left Side table) LS
    Darter Scout Car (Bot1) takes 5 damage to LS. 2 Armor remaining.
    Critical hit on movement system. Roll is 10; (w/ +4 bonus)
    Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, 1/2 MP.

Weapons fire for Darter Scout Car (Bot1)
    Machine Gun at Flea FLE-14-BT (ATY); needs 6, rolls 10 : hits LL
    Flea FLE-14-BT (ATY) takes 2 damage to LL. 1 Armor remaining.

Both weapons hit their targets. The machine gun shreds most of the armor on the Flea's left leg while the laser punches through a weak spot and hits the axle again...followed by a swift kick!

Physical attacks for Flea FLE-14-BT (ATY)
    Kick (Left ) at Darter Scout Car (Bot1); needs 4, rolls 8 : hits (using Left Side table) FR
    Darter Scout Car (Bot1) takes 3 damage to FR. 2 Armor remaining.
    Critical hit on movement system. Roll is 10; (w/ +4 bonus)
    Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, 1/2 MP.

The Darter then turns slightly to bring the machine gun to bear and the Flea prepares to charge it....but unfortunately the car is too low to the ground for a body slam (apparently only 'mechs can be charged).

The Flea can stand still and zap the car directly in the front while absorbing the machine gun blast. Another possibility is to walk around the car and duck into a copse of trees, evading the arc of fire of the machine gun. This will bring the Flea closer to the infantry but still out of their range.

A third and fourth possibility involve the jump jets. The Flea can jump up and stomp on the car Mario Brothers style, or leap over it and into the water behind it which is waist deep on a 'Mech.

The Darter can also be engaged from out of the machine gun's line of fire on the if the Flea moves south. This will keep the lake between the infantry and the 'Mech. If the Flea moves further south he can hide in another forested area far from the infantry and snipe the car from range. Or the infantry can be engaged, or....?
  11. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 08:51
    The idea of jumping onto the car sounds very tempting. I can only imagine what 15 tons of mech on the car would do to a car with a heavily damaged axle, not to mention the crew.. and from that range the lasers can hardly miss, if they can be turned to point downwards. On the other hand, leaping into the lake would have the water serve as extra armor for my lower parts, effectively preventing more bullets to the scarred leg..

I decide to be careful though, and conclude the bout in a way that involves no more incoming damage from the car. If the car is unable to turn fast enough to retaliate to laser blasts from the lake, then that's the plan as the range is shorter and the water protects the left leg; if it can still turn fast enough, I move farther way, using forests as cover if I can be reasonably sure that they don't reduce my mobility much.. they shouldn't as I can jump away from them.. and that there are no hostiles hiding in them. Would not be good to seek refuge in the middle of a unit of hostile infantry. And then lasers it is, from as near as possible to be able to assassinate what remains of the car.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 22:56
    Ok then.

Tomtom, you are piloting a light reconnaissance Mech called a Wasp. It is quick on it's feet but it's real mobility advantage is it's jump jets. The Wasp can leap about the battlefield. It is excellent for scouting in rough terrain.

Your Wasp has a Medium Pulse Laser as a primary weapon. In addition it has a flamethrower and some ...[text shortened]... r sprinting into position behind the vehicle to shoot it in the back.

What do you do?
    Sprint into position behind it and take it out! OOHRAHH!
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 02:202 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Sprint into position behind it and take it out! OOHRAHH!
    The Wasp gets directly behind the vehicle and fires a massive volley of energy weapons at it from point blank range, but...

Weapons fire for Wasp WSP-1S (ATY)
    Medium Pulse Laser at Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses.
    Flamer at Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1); needs 10, rolls 2 : misses.
    Small Laser at Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses.
    Small Laser at Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses.

Frustrated, tomtom232 lashes out with one foot and kicks it in the rear! CLONK!

Physical attacks for Wasp WSP-1S (ATY)
    Kick (Left ) at Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1); needs 9, rolls 9 : hits (using Rear table) RR
    Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1) takes 4 damage to RR. 6 Armor remaining.

The Chevalier continues at high speed, veering southeast for a bit until it is close to where the Wasp was a moment ago; just west of one of the boulders and south of the warehouses. He might be going for the warehouses or perhaps he is travelling south to support the Darter.

The Wasp is agile enough to turn around and get directly into position behind the vehicle with a sprint or jump jets. The Wasp can also stomp on the Chevalier, but this is likely to cause some damage to the 'Mech's legs. He can walk or run east and get between the vehicle and the warehouses and fire from moderate range, or even fire from his current position for stability. The Chevalier is 6 hexes away making it a long range shot for the Pulse laser and out of range of the other weapons.

The Wasp is heating up slightly, but it's nothing to worry about yet. Overheating is a major problem with Battlemechs and should be avoided when possible.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 02:374 edits
    Because enemy infantry are lurking in the woods to the west and the Darter can still barely turn enough to keep the gun aimed the Flea runs south into the woods southeast of the lake and spins around to blast the car.

He almost slips because he is running along a highway which is slippery for 'Mechs, but he keeps the Flea on it's feet:

Flea FLE-14-BT (ATY) must make a piloting skill check while moving in hex 0912 (running & turning on pavement).
    Needs 6 [5 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (running & turning on pavement)], rolls 11 : succeeds.

The laser beam punches a hole in the right side of the car and flies out the window on the other side:

Weapons fire for Flea FLE-14-BT (ATY)
    Medium Laser at Darter Scout Car (Bot1); needs 8, rolls 11 : hits (using Right Side table) RS (critical)
    Darter Scout Car (Bot1) takes 5 damage to RS (critical). 2 Armor remaining.
    Critical hit on RS. Roll is 5; no effect.

The enemy vehicle will move second this round. It can still crawl along or turn to aim the gun but its mobility is similar to that of infantry at this point. Conventional vehicles, while they are stable and don't slip and fall down, are known for being easily immobilized by enemy fire.

Does the Flea want to stay in position or move? The infantry is on the far side of the lake far our of it's range (barely in the Flea's range) and the Darter seems to be a sitting duck at this point but still dangerous.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 02:58
    The Wasp gets directly behind the vehicle and fires a massive volley of energy weapons at it from point blank range, but...

[i]Weapons fire for Wasp WSP-1S (ATY)
    Medium Pulse Laser at Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses.
    Flamer at Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bot1); needs 10, rolls 2 : misses.
    Small Laser ...[text shortened]... ut yet. Overheating is a major problem with Battlemechs and should be avoided when possible.
    I use my jump jets to get behind the boulder and crouch down to see where he is headed if he heads toward the warehouses because he doesn't see me hide then I get behind him again and fire, if he continues towards the boulder or fires at it I use my jump jets again and try to time my shot when he is right underneath me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree