1. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 18:24
    My objective in the fight was not to destroy, but immobilize. The Chevalier is currently capable of damaging friendlies, the infantry and the Darter aren't, and that makes all the difference. The car being reduced to infantry speed suffices, and I can double back later to end them both - or if my mech is destroyed, Tomtom can do it. Still, as the infantry is at the edge of my effective range, there is no reason not to blast them a fond farewell by firing a single laser shot in their way. That done, I disengage, avoid further exchange and the environmental hazards of slippery road and areas where I could get stuck or ambushed, and head for the Chevalier without having Tomtom end up between me and the hostile.
  2. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 02:251 edit
    Alright, I want in 🙂

*edit* and out of curiousity, what online service are you using for the simulation and ai?
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 03:104 edits
    I'm using Megamek.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jan '12 03:231 edit
    The Chevalier flees, moving faster than the Wasp can follow, and is lost in the distance. The Flea destroys the Darter and then joins the Wasp in pursuit of the Chevalier leaving the infantry behind.

Weapons fire for Flea FLE-14-BT (ATY)
    Medium Laser at Darter Scout Car (Bot1); needs 6, rolls 9 : hits (using Right Side table) RS
    Darter Scout Car (Bot1) takes 5 damage to RS. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    *** Darter Scout Car (Bot1) DESTROYED by damage! ***
    Critical hit on RS. Roll is 7; Crew stunned for 1 turns.

As the Flea chases down the Chevalier talzamir suddenly hears forkedknight on the radio.

"Be careful! It's a trap!"

The next battle will have all three players, the Chevalier and some additional enemy forces.

Forkedknight is piloting a medium 'mech called a Clint. It has enormous range with it's pair autocannon 2's but the damage is not impressive. It also has a laser.

Clint CLNT-2-4T
    40 tons IS Introductory Box Set

Movement: 6/9
    Engine: 240
    Heat Sinks: 10

Internal: 67
    Armor: 72/137
    HD: 3 9
    CT: 12 11 ( 4)
    RT: 10 6 ( 4)
    LT: 10 6 ( 4)
    RA: 6 6
    LA: 6 6
    RL: 10 8
    LL: 10 8

Autocannon/2 [RA] 1 Heat
    Autocannon/2 [RA] 1 Heat
    Medium Laser [CT] 3 Heat

AC/2 Ammo (45) [RT]

BV: 619 Cost: 3,143,280 Cbills
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jan '12 03:423 edits
    Forkedknight's Clint is standing on a ridge south of the road that the Wasp and Flea are pursuing the Chevalier down. The road leads into a fortified area which is not currently occupied. Sloping earthen walls surround the complex on north, east and south. In the middle is a paved open area, and around this area are some buildings. The Wasp and Flea are on the west edge of the board travelling down a road eastward. The Flea just took a moment to rest and let the Wasp catch up when he sees far to the east about 15 hexes away beyond some buildings a light battlemech called a Kabuto (armed with short range missiles with a maximum range of 9) and the Chevalier tank (also armed ith SRMs)standing together just inside and below the top of the wall. The thwop thwop thwop noise of a helicopter can also be heard outside the wall to the north.

"There are also some small cars outside the walls to the northeast" Forkedknight tells the others.

Which mech wants to move first?
  6. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    10 Jan '12 08:38
    The Clint is bigger than the two of us combined, and the high-range auto-cannons give a tactical advantage; in a long-range standing fight they can slowly grind the enemy to dust, especially as the Clint can soak all the heat from them, and as they are energy-based they won't run out of ammo - whereas the opposition has mainly missiles as armaments, which are expended in use. Charging at two mechs next to a fortified area does not sound good, especially as the helo is around. The Wasp can use its flamer in immediate range only and that means incoming damage, so it's something to mop up with, which means that effective weapons on my Flea and Tomtom's Wasp are the medium lasers.

The Kabuto and the Chevalier as I understand have a height advantage, but being inside the wall which is open to the west where we are, a mirrored C-shape, they don't get cover from the crest. Where exactly on the wall they are.. north, south, or east wall?

I radio a plan to the others.

"Time to head north. The auto-cannons should work marvels in perforating the helo, which is presumably fast but lightly armored, and we can recon and maybe take out the cars while at it, then find a way to get to the mechs together three-on-two without giving them a height or cover advantage. Maybe they'll even give us an edge, but at least we can fight them without a disadvantage, and as the auto-cannons let us decide when and where we engage the enemy, I outpace anything they have that walks or rolls, and Tomtom can jump behind or on top of them, we have the tactical edge."

Unless my fellow warriors object or propose a better plan, I will then move accordingly, going clockwise around the enemy forces, for now out of range. As I'm faster than the Clint or the Wasp I use the extra mobility to take a slightly more northern route and if the hostiles can move in to the range of my lasers, end my moves so that they would be in an angle where I can fire at them. Would be really silly to go around them and then end up flanked.
  7. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 01:591 edit
    I will follow talzamir's plan for movement.

In doing so, would like to engage that helicopter with the AC/2's if it comes into range, or failing that, start taking pot-shots at the opposing mech as it comes into range, assuming they see us and my chance to hit is even or better.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 04:06
    Originally posted by talzamir
    The Clint is bigger than the two of us combined, and the high-range auto-cannons give a tactical advantage; in a long-range standing fight they can slowly grind the enemy to dust, especially as the Clint can soak all the heat from them, and as they are energy-based they won't run out of ammo - whereas the opposition has mainly missiles as armaments, which a ...[text shortened]... ere I can fire at them. Would be really silly to go around them and then end up flanked.
    The Clint's autocannons are not energy weapons and they do require ammunition, but his laser does not. In addition there is only one hostile 'Mech accompanied by the Chevalier, the helicopter and the unseen cars.

It is important to note that the Wasp has a Medium Pulse Laser, not a standard Medium Laser. Medium Pulse Lasers have a range of 6 compared to the standard range of 9 but they are more accurate. The Wasp is stuck with short range weapons.

The Kabuto and the Chevalier are standing on height 2 terrain and just beyond them is height 3 terrain. It's a good position for a 'Mech to fire out from but you are inside the walls already and they won't protect the enemy 'Mech. They are in the northeast area of the wall where it curves from going north south to going east west.

Talzamir sprints north along a narrow paved road which is hidden in the shadow of a Height 3 building just east of it and then runs up the wall to Height 2, with his head and shoulders peeking out over the wall. He is now at the same height as the Kabuto and Chevalier and is facing northeast. He can't see the enemy well yet but he sees glimpses - there's the helicopter, and there's some sort of small transport car...and something else just out of sight hiding close up against the outside the northeast wall.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 04:132 edits
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    I will follow talzamir's plan for movement.

In doing so, would like to engage that helicopter with the AC/2's if it comes into range, or failing that, start taking pot-shots at the opposing mech as it comes into range, assuming they see us and my chance to hit is even or better.
    If the Clint walks or runs north, it will go down the slope to ground level and enter the open central area where it will likely be engaged up close. However it can also go west and then north and move behind a tall building along the west edge of the map, or it can stand still and fire at the enemy from long range. Or it can move along the wall northeast and close with the enemy 'Mech and Chevalier.

Since moving directly north seems a bit dangerous for a long range harassment strategy we will wait for further clarification before the Clint moves.

The Clint is currently higher than anyone else at elevation 3, right on the crest of the wall.

Tomtom232 can also move.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 17:282 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If the Clint walks or runs north, it will go down the slope to ground level and enter the open central area where it will likely be engaged up close. However it can also go west and then north and move behind a tall building along the west edge of the map, or it can stand still and fire at the enemy from long range. Or it can move along the wall nor er than anyone else at elevation 3, right on the crest of the wall.

Tomtom232 can also move.
    I will move behind the battle and use the others as a distraction. I will fire when I have better than even odds.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 18:252 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I will move behind the battle and use the others as a distraction. I will fire when I have better than even odds.
    Please clarify.

You are standing in the center of the west edge of the map. East is the open area in the center. North and south are roads that run to the walls, each hidden behind a tall building. Hostiles are in the northeast part of the map, some on the wall, some behind it. It looks like they just arrived and haven't gotten into position yet. Nobody has fired a weapon.

Talzamir's Flea just ran north and is looking over the wall up there. Forkedknight's Clint is on the south wall just west of center overlooking everything, way up on the edge of the wall.

Tomtom232 or Forkedknight must move.

After everyone has moved there will be attacks. FYI moving earlier is a disadvantage because then the enemy can choose to move in response to your movement but it is your team's move. One option is to choose to stand still so the other 'Mech can move later and so your attacks are more accurate.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 18:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Please clarify.

You are standing in the center of the west edge of the map. East is the open area in the center. North and south are roads that run to the walls, each hidden behind a tall building. Hostiles are in the northeast part of the map, some on the wall, some behind it. It looks like they just arrived and haven't gotten into position ...[text shortened]... ose to stand still so the other 'Mech can move later and so your attacks are more accurate.
    Then I'll stand still.
  13. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 19:49
    I stay along the top of the southern wall, out of range of the weapons systems of the opposing mechs.

Make sure my movement turn ends with my mech facing Northeast
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 19:53
    Tomtom232 remains standing still, hiding behild a tall building and keeping an eye on the center.

To his left Talzamir's Flea peeks over the north wall and sees one of the cars head west along the north edge of the map and then turn suddenly to face south. This car is called a Centipede and it is a reconnaissance and light combat hovercraft - not a wheeled transport like the Darter was. It appears he wanted to turn to enter the compound along the north road into the compound but when he turned south momentum made the hovercraft slip off the road onto the packed dirt at the side of the road. The car's right side is now directly in front of the Flea 6 hexes away, though the ridge of the wall may interfere with an attack (not sure).

The Centipede weighs 20 tons. It is fast but not as fast as the Flea. It has a Medium Laser mounted on the front and a flamethrower nozzle sticking out the back.

As the Centipede approaches the north entrance, the 20 ton Kabuto battlemech (armed with an SRM 4 on each side of the torso) runs northwest along the wall and climbs on top the easternmost of the two rocky towers that flanks the north entrance.

To give some idea of where everyone is, on a chessboard Talzamir is on a7, tomtom232 is on a5, forkedknight is on b1, the Centipede hovercraft is on d8, the helicopter on f7, the Kabuto on e6, and the Chevalier on h5. The Chevalier and the helicopter haven't moved yet. There's also some small car of some sort on h6 outside the wall which moved earlier but nobody has seen it yet.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 20:032 edits
    Forkedknight turns northeast and carefully walks backward two steps along the ridge of the wall. He can move one more hex backward but that's right at the edge and if he slips off the edge of the map he will be out of the battle for good so he plays it a bit safe.

Following this the Chevalier light tank drives northwest along the inside of the wall, turning and rolling down the slope to square e6 just before it reaches the pillar that the Kabuto is standing on. It is covering the north entrance towards the inside, while the Kabuto seems to be covering the outside. Under the watch of these two machines, the helicopter enters the compound through the north gate and flies to d5, just at the edge of the open center region.

It is a helicopter known as a Warrior. It has two machine guns mounted on the front so it can slip behind enemies and blast them point blank. Their range of 3 means that the helicopter will need to get close to use them. There is also a compartment for transporting infantry. It's slightly faster than the Flea.

It is time for attacks. Your team is first. Unlike with movement it doesn't matter who shoots when except that you get to see who the enemy is targetting.

Talzamir has a difficult shot at the speedy Centipede and a near impossible shot at either of the two machines providing overwatch on the north gate.

I made a mistake. Tomtom232's Wasp's laser is a standard Medium Laser with a range of 9. However he is behind a building and can't see any targets.

Forkedknight has a difficult shot at the Kabuto battlemech on top of the pillar by the north road and a very difficult shot at the helicopter.

Since tomtom232 has no attacks, he uses his attack phase first to do nothing.

The Kabudo battlemech fires a salvo of short range missiles at Talzamir's Flea!

Who will shoot next?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree