1. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 23:20
    Difficult is far more promising that near-impossible, and I rather like having an advantage in speed.. so I blast at the Centipede and say my prayers that the buildings cover me enough from the missiles.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 03:311 edit
    The Chevalier fires another pair of missiles at talzamir. Who would forkedknight like to shoot? The Kabudo battlemech is the easiest target though you can try to hit the helicopter instead. He can also barely see the Centipede and could try a Hail Mary shot at that hovercar.
  3. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 07:15
    How much damage potential is there with a hit to the chopper?

I think I'd take 3% chance to seriously damage the helicopter over a 10% chance to dent the Kabuto, but if the damage to the helicopter would be minor, I'd fire at the Kabuto instead.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 07:36
    The helicopter is in fact more heavily armored than the Kabuto so forkedknight fires at the Kabudo. However he misses.

Weapons fire for Clint CLNT-2-4T (Mercenaries)
    Autocannon/2 at Kabuto KBO-7A (Bandits); needs 9, rolls 8 : misses.
    Autocannon/2 at Kabuto KBO-7A (Bandits); needs 9, rolls 4 : misses.

None of the SRMs fired at the Flea hit either. Interestingly they seem to all be Streak SRMs which have an advanced guidance system such that if the missiles don't all get a lock none of them will fire. None of them got the lock.

Weapons fire for Kabuto KBO-7A (Bandits)
    Streak SRM 4 at Flea FLE-14-BT (Mercenaries); needs 11, rolls 4 : fails to achieve lock.
    Streak SRM 4 at Flea FLE-14-BT (Mercenaries); needs 11, rolls 6 : fails to achieve lock.

Weapons fire for Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bandits)
    Streak SRM 2 at Flea FLE-14-BT (Mercenaries); needs 12, rolls 7 : fails to achieve lock.

Once again, it is Talzamir's Flea that has deadly marksmanship. The Medium Laser hits the hovercraft directly in the front and burns out the engine.

Weapons fire for Flea FLE-14-BT (Mercenaries)
    Medium Laser at Centipede Scout Car (Bandits); needs 11, rolls 11 : hits (using Right Side table) FR
    Centipede Scout Car (Bandits) takes 5 damage to FR. 9 Armor remaining.
    Critical hit on movement system. Roll is 13; (w/ +5 bonus)
    Major damage, vehicle immobile.

The next round begins. Your team, the Mercenaries, loses initiative and must move first. Who will move first?
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 19:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The helicopter is in fact more heavily armored than the Kabuto so forkedknight fires at the Kabudo. However he misses.

Weapons fire for Clint CLNT-2-4T (Mercenaries)
    Autocannon/2 at Kabuto KBO-7A (Bandits); needs 9, rolls 8 : misses.
    Autocannon/2 at Kabuto KBO-7A (Bandits); needs 9, rolls 4 : misses.

None of the SRMs fired at the Flea ...[text shortened]... gins. Your team, the Mercenaries, loses initiative and must move first. Who will move first?
    I would like to move towards the kabudo from behind the building.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 19:23
    Tomtom232 considers going around the building but decides going over it is the most efficient choices. He fires up his jump jets and with a fiery trail flies up 3 elevations, over the building, along a road and then settling on the lower part of the wall (elevation 1) just south of the westernmost pillar that flanks the north road. Directly across from him is the Chevalier. The Kabudo is up on top of the opposite pillar and the helicopter is directly to your right. All of them are in range of your short range weapons but are going to move this turn still.

There's some motion from outside the wall by the unknown enemy unit.

Who's next?
  7. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 08:031 edit
    I'd rather wait for the Warrior to move before I do, so if I can do that by waiting for Forkedknight to move before I do, I'll do that. I reckon we have team initiative though, so I can't wait it out.

The Centipede can't move so it is no threat unless someone goes inside its range of fire. Immobilised probably means that the vehicle can't turn either so we can eliminate it from outside its arc of fire when the time comes; without mobility it is just a fixed gun emplacement. So I keep clear of it, and focus on the hostiles that can still hurt us.

The Kabudo and the Chevalier around e6 have Tomtom who jumped to c5 or so as target anyway, so getting in range of their guns is not a problem; they'll fire at some friendly anyway. The Centipede however won't and can't do anything about it. The unknown in the northeast (?) will probably make it known soon, but until it does it won't be firing at anyone. Forkedknight will be nicely in position to strike the Chevalier and/or the Kabuto in their left flank as no one else that we know of is in the southern half of the map.

The question mark is the mobility of the Warrior. The helicopter can easily enough fly to the western side of Tomtom unless the tall building protects his rear / flanks now.

Thus, I'll move to protect Tomtom by heading south, and to the west from Tomtom, facing east at the end of my move. That should give me a long-range shot at the Kabuto or the Chevalier unless they do something really surprising, and if the Warrior tries to flank Tomtom with the machine guns, I'll get a shot at the rear or side of the Warrior. As best I can, I'll head far enough west that the Warrior can't get behind us both and still fire at us, but not so far that I would be unable to fire at the tank or the mech.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 20:381 edit
    Originally posted by talzamir
    I'd rather wait for the Warrior to move before I do, so if I can do that by waiting for Forkedknight to move before I do, I'll do that. I reckon we have team initiative though, so I can't wait it out.

The Centipede can't move so it is no threat unless someone goes inside its range of fire. Immobilised probably means that the vehicle can't turn either so fire at us, but not so far that I would be unable to fire at the tank or the mech.
    Talzamir's Flea walks quickly southeast until he gets near the western pillar and then hops off on to the road just behind where the Wasp just landed. He turns eastwards and takes a few steps back until his back is against the building. There is another building to his right which may interfere with his ability to shoot since as he was moving the Kabudo has hopped off the pillar and landed straddled over the Chevalier below and south of where it was a moment ago. He can see over it (it comes to his hips) so this is unlikely.

Also, the helicopter could conceivably fly to the top of the building and shoot from behind. Let us see what it does after forkedknight moves.

Forkedknight has a narrow long range view of the north entrance where everyone is gathering but there are buildings here and there which could block his view of particular targets. He can go down from the wall and enter the central area, walk along the wall a little bit to where it projects forward a bit, he can keep walking along the wall keeping his elevation while maneuvering eastward, or stand still...what does he have in mind?
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 23:15
    Forkedknight will stand still for this movement phase unless he posts otherwise soon.
  10. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 23:17
    I think it's time to get into the action, walk down the hill toward the kabuto.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 02:373 edits
    Slowly and carefully the Clint walks down the slope (remember that walking and running are different choices but running can lead to slipping). Moving carefully he does not quite make it all the way down, but is lower on the wall and just a short hop from the ground level.

The Kabudo remains in place while the Chevalier hits the accelerator and zooms down the slope. It tries to do a dramatic turn and ends up slamming into the building next to the Wasp and Flea turret first.

Turret? The turret is empty! The SRM is mounted on the front. But still the turret took the hit.

The Warrior helicopter oddly flies right at forkedknight's Clint and just before it reaches him slows to a turning stop. It ends up adjacent to the Clint, directly in front and below and in range for a good kick. The machine guns aren't even pointed at forkedknight, because the chopper turned away and seems to be preparing to go back. Very strange helicopter behavior.

Warrior Attack Helicopter H-10 (Bandits) must make a piloting skill check while moving from hex 0812 to hex 0713 (flanking and turning).
    Needs 5 [5 (Base piloting skill) + 0 (flanking and turning)], rolls 6 : succeeds.

Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bandits) must make a piloting skill check while moving in hex 0806 (reckless driving on pavement).
    Needs 4 [5 (Base piloting skill) - 1 (reckless driving on pavement)], rolls 2 : fails.

Critical hit on movement system. Roll is 5; (w/ +2 bonus)
    no effect.
    Skids into Building #10260 in hex 0707.
    Building #10260 absorbs 4 points of damage.

Chevalier Light Tank (Speed) (Bandits) takes 2 damage to TU. 14 Armor remaining.
    Skid ends.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 02:521 edit
    Talzamir's Flea and tomtom232's Wasp both have only one target - the Kabudo. As they're aiming it turns and opens the missile launchers for it's Streak SRMs. Talzamir can hear the radar warning beeping in his ear as the Kabudo attempts to get a missile lock on the Flea and both he and tomtom232 fire lasers at it.

To minimize heat buildup tomtom232 chooses not to use his flamethrower at this extreme distance. Even with only his lasers his mech accumulates one point of heat it could not radiate out of the heat sinks.

The Chevalier, after ramming the building and coming to a stop, tries to get a missile lock on forkedknight's Clint. He can hear the beeeeeeeping as he puzzles over the helicopter directly in front of him.

It's too close for the autocannons! But he still has a laser. The autocannons can shoot any number of other targets farther away. The easiest shot is the immobilized Centipede hovercar out way beyond the far walls. He could easily hit it with his far ranging autocannons. The Kabudo is a fair target, though not great, and the Chevalier is a difficult target having been moving so fast and then suddenly embedded in a building. The helicopter is not an option for the ACs though he can fire his laser at it.

If he chooses not to use the laser on the helicopter the long range shots are easier. The helicopter is moving quickly even as it spins to move away again. Perhaps it's trying to draw fire from the Clint to protect it's allies? Even at point blank range with the laser it's still a fairly difficult target.

What does forkedknight want to shoot with autocannons and does he want to use the laser on the Warrior as well?
  13. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 14:06
    Fixed gun emplacement, then. The hovercraft can't hurt at any of us, while we can hurt the hovercraft; next is the Kabudo as there are no other targets available. Incoming missiles.. not good. Countermeasures into use, then, if I have any, both official and makeshift, and especially pre-emptive by ensuring that the number of missiles to be fired by the Kabudo, ever, will be as small as possible.
  14. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 00:25
    Is my laser in range of the kabuto? If so, that is my primary target, and I direct all weapons towards it. We need to get those SRM's offline as soon as possible.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 06:161 edit
    No. The laser can only shoot the helicopter. If you do not shoot the helicopter it will be a bit easier to hit the Kabudo with your AC2s. Do you want to laser the helicopter and shoot the Kabudo or do you want to only shoot the Kabudo and leave the laser turned off?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree