1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 00:36
    I can solve the hardest, often by penciling in to every cell all possibilities and using techniques that produce process of elimination. I like when I don't need to do that, and I am getting better at that. I can feel my memory getting stronger. Short-term memory I guess, guided by specific rules.

I have always loved puzzles, but never thought of them as improving cognitive ability. I'm wondering about the public - do you do puzzles because they are fun, or because they are useful, or some of both, or something else?
  2. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 14:01
    Originally posted by apathist
    I can solve the hardest, often by penciling in to every cell all possibilities and using techniques that produce process of elimination. I like when I don't need to do that, and I am getting better at that. I can feel my memory getting stronger. Short-term memory I guess, guided by specific rules.

I have always loved puzzles, but never thought of them a ...[text shortened]... do puzzles because they are fun, or because they are useful, or some of both, or something else?
    When I used to get a daily newspaper I used to do the brain trainers every day(mental arithmetic).
    I no longer have a daily paper(they're all full of rubbish) but just one at the weekend for the suppliments.
    I'm no longer as good at the brain trainers so it's obvious to me that you must keep in practice at these things.
    However I'm not sure that the "use it or lose it"philosophy always applies.
    There's lots of examples of very mentally active people who now have Dementia.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 16:01

I have always loved puzzles, but never thought of them a ...[text shortened]... do puzzles because they are fun, or because they are useful, or some of both, or something else?
    I solve puzzles for enjoyment, definitely, though cognitive exercise is a helpful byproduct.
    My favorites are crossword puzzles, particularly those in the New York Times.

Sudoku, like the best brain teasers, requires detective skills. I enjoy the ones that are
    hard enough to be a challenge without having to pencil in. Too much work.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 17:14
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    My favorites are crossword puzzles, particularly those in the New York Times.
    Those are rough! I work on them, on and off, for days and typically cannot quite finish.

Btw, a game that makes me feel completely inadequate is Jeopardy. Take away the buzzer and I can compete some. Turn-based!
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 17:24
    Originally posted by venda
    I no longer have a daily paper(they're all full of rubbish) but just one at the weekend for the suppliments....
    Newspapers are almost just gossip rags. They should not be used as a definitive source of information, but they do let us know what people are (or 'should'?) be talking about. Where do you go for news?
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 19:16
    Those are rough! I work on them, on and off, for days and typically cannot quite finish.

Btw, a game that makes me feel completely inadequate is Jeopardy. Take away the buzzer and I can compete some. Turn-based!
    Try Monday or Tuesday. NYT crosswords become more difficult as the week progresses. Saturday's are toughest.

Jeopardy tests instant recall and whoever has the fastest finger.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 19:38
    Newspapers are almost just gossip rags. They should not be used as a definitive source of information, but they do let us know what people are (or 'should'?) be talking about. Where do you go for news?
    There are still a few quality newspapers around, e.g., New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, and some others.
    These days, people seem more interested in social media to find out what's going on in the world, more or less.
  8. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 03:11
    Sudoku is very fun to me. I do they whendever I ger bored. I dont do them ro increase capilibilty, but i know i am getting better ar them. it took me 10 minutes to don an easy, and not it takes 10 minutes to dok a mediym.

I actually strted doing more sudoku very recently, maybe 2-3 weeks agol. Theyy are very fun and challenging, and i like to race friends.

Sorry about the spellibg mistakes - im typing this on a kindlde and it would take a good 10 minutes to edit all of this.

😀
  9. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Apr '17 16:59
    The Saturday times has news as well as the suppliments + a chess column and puzzles.
    The reporting is biased of course so you have to recognise that and try to read between the lines on the political stuff.
    I put BBC news 24 on at lunchtime if I'm in(except on Wednesday when it's prime ministers points scoring -does anyone actually watch that?).
    The BBc is biased also and I'm told the Al Jezeera news channel -English language version is better but I haven't tried it yet.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 May '17 11:44
    Originally posted by BongalloJoe
    Sudoku is very fun to me. I do they whendever I ger bored. I dont do them ro increase capilibilty, but i know i am getting better ar them. it took me 10 minutes to don an easy, and not it takes 10 minutes to dok a mediym....
    So you definitely see it! I used to have to count the digits to find the missing one, but seriously now I just glance and close my eyes and shut up.

We do our best work when we shut up.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    08 May '17 07:38
    I've been doing sudoku since the early 1980s when Dell called them Number Place, but didn't like having to buy the whole magazine (expensive in Australia) for a few puzzles, so was very happy when the Japanese started promoting it. I only buy the standard easy/medium/hard puzzle books which don't usually need pencilling. Not keen on any of the variants.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree