1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 17:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What's "the natural balance," how ought we preserve it and why?
    If you think otherwise than in your opinion global warming is no big deal too?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 19:522 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    He asked you " What's "the natural balance" " thus indicating that, like me, he doesn't know exactly what you mean by "the natural balance" and that implies he, as would I, wouldn't know global warming is supposed to damage "the natural balance" as whatever you mean by that. Thus he asking why we should preserve this "natural balance" doesn't in the slightest imply he thinks global warming is "no big deal". Don't you see?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 20:09
    I'm asking a question. If it's important to preserve "the natural balance," we first need to establish what that actually is.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 20:36
    I'm asking a question. If it's important to preserve "the natural balance," we first need to establish what that actually is.
    Natural Balance would mean artificial man made activities would not interfere with nature's normal processes as we do with global warming. If you think it is no big deal so be it.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 20:44
    Natural Balance would mean artificial man made activities would not interfere with nature's normal processes as we do with global warming. If you think it is no big deal so be it.
    By that definition the only way to not upset the balance is to commit mass suicide. Still, it's not very quantitative; how much exactly does using GMO's upset the natural balance? And why don't artificial goose-made activities upset the natural balance?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 21:52
    I am guessing you believe that all our crops were handed to us in the Garden of Eden and thus they are part of the 'natural balance'. I hate to break it to you, but almost every crop is man made and has already been modified by selective breeding far more than GMOs have been modified. Just about every farming industry in every country engages in selective breeding programs of various kinds. Should they cease and desist this activity for fear of upsetting the natural balance?
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    07 Oct '16 11:372 edits
    By that definition the only way to not upset the balance is to commit mass suicide. Still, it's not very quantitative; how much exactly does using GMO's upset the natural balance? And why don't artificial goose-made activities upset the natural balance?
    just curious; when you say "goose-made", is that a metaphor or to be taken literally? If the former, what does it mean?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    07 Oct '16 13:59
    Originally posted by humy
    just curious; when you say "goose-made", is that a metaphor or to be taken literally? If the former, what does it mean?
    It is just an example aiming to highlight the apparent inconsistency between making a distinction between the influence of man and the influence of other animals. Neither is necessarily "better" or "worse" except insofar as one highlights one particular way in which a particular animal might influence a particular aspect of nature. Clearly geese do not affect biodiversity and the climate in the same way people do, yet the distinction between "artificial" and "natural" is not obvious. For example, is it artificial if someone kills a deer with a spear, or is that still natural?
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 14:544 edits
    It is just an example aiming to highlight the apparent inconsistency between making a distinction between the influence of man and the influence of other animals. Neither is necessarily "better" or "worse" except insofar as one highlights one particular way in which a particular animal might influence a particular aspect of nature. Clearly geese do not ...[text shortened]... s. For example, is it artificial if someone kills a deer with a spear, or is that still natural?
    I am in agreement. You could say we are 'natural' animals and thus everything we do, just like everything other 'natural' animal does, is 'natural'. Therefore, us polluting the air with 'natural' smoke from fire because fire 'naturally' makes smoke, must be 'natural'; I think that exposes the ambiguity of the meaning of the word 'natural' to the point of showing it to be almost completely meaningless.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Oct '16 15:57
    Originally posted by humy
    I think that exposes the ambiguity of the meaning of the word 'natural' to the point of showing it to be almost completely meaningless.
    I disagree. I think the term is quite meaningful. It simply doesn't have a very well defined boundary. That doesn't leave it without meaning. The danger that Kelly is in is that it is hard to make categoric statements about terms with weakly defined boundaries. This doesn't mean it is impossible to do so.
    One could for example say something about 'tall trees'. It is difficult to define exactly what constitutes a 'tall tree', but one cannot deny that the term has meaning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree