1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Oct '16 08:474 edits
    http://phys.org/news/2016-10-advantage-evolution-malaria-scientists.html

The idea here is to use insecticides with insect repellent to reduce the evolution of insecticide residence (of malaria spreading mosquitoes in this case but the idea could be extended). This makes a lot of sense and has the potential to save lives and and also shows an excellent understanding of how evolution works and is an example of how understanding evolution can make our lives better.
    I am extremely impressed with this research.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Oct '16 09:15
    If you want to know more about the importance of understanding evolution, see this course on evolution and medicine:
    YouTube&list=PLh9mgdi4rNezvm7QkQ_PioadoAWqfa2L0
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 06:39
    Originally posted by humy...
    I am extremely impressed with this research.
    Interesting, kinda counter-intuitive. Nitty-gritty, hands on, dealing with real-world problems.

Is there any real issue suggesting that evolution isn't factual? Imo there is more to the story, but evolution theory is so powerful, useful, beautiful, if a person's ideology can't handle it, suspect the ideology.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 07:103 edits
    Originally posted by apathist
    Interesting, kinda counter-intuitive. Nitty-gritty, hands on, dealing with real-world problems.

Is there any real issue suggesting that evolution isn't factual? Imo there is more to the story, but evolution theory is so powerful, useful, beautiful, if a person's ideology can't handle it, suspect the ideology.

Is there any real issue suggesting that evolution isn't factual?

No. All evidence points to it. In fact, after I finally finish (~one years time) writing my current book about my current research, I plan to write another explaining the most powerful piece of evidence for evolution which all evolutionary biologists have so far completely missed.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 07:38
    Originally posted by humy
    It isn't appropriate to call it an ideology. It is a proven scientific theory not based on its beauty or usefulness but rather based purely on the evidence.
    You misread his post. He didn't call it an ideology.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 07:514 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You misread his post. He didn't call it an ideology.
    oh yes, somehow read "can't" as "can" (what I get from trying to read too fast. I need to be wary of that) and interpreted "suspect the ideology" as "I suspect the ideology" .
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Oct '16 23:28
    aw dammit am trying to hate tw but not allowed to now
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 01:03
    Plus he's kinda cute, all you are wrong and look at my knowledge stuff.

I've decided that I love him. I love you tw! I already know I'm flakey so don't point that out please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree