1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Apr '17 11:38
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Why exactly is a stabilizing global climate cycle bad, and why is this not a direct consequence of the second law of thermodynamics? Every real ocillating system given constant inputs will eventually ring out to static equilibrium. This shouldn't be surprising.
    That is very naïve!
    Consider the double pendulum problem and read "Chaos: Making a New Science".
    Google it .. cant ne bothered.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '17 21:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://phys.org/news/2017-04-tibet-sediments-reveal-climate-patterns.html

A few million years ago they came around 40,000 years apart, now more than twice that recurrence time frame.
    Your link says this:

Eccentricity: How the Earth rotates around the Sun—the shape of Earth's orbit gradually changes from being more oval to more round over a period of 100,000 years.
    Axial tilt: The Earth tilts toward the Sun at an angle that changes from an approximate 22-degree tilt to a 24.5-degree tilt over a period of 41,000 years.

I doubt that the assertions that these two parts of the Milankovich cycle being 100,000 years and 41,000 years are anything more than guesses based on the known cycles of ice ages. Can you show clear evidence these are factual numbers?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Apr '17 22:391 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    That is very naïve!
    Consider the double pendulum problem and read "Chaos: Making a New Science".
    Google it .. cant ne bothered.
    I'm afraid I'm not following ( Actually, I believe you are just a bit overconfident in your "understanding" of Chaos Theory given that it was apparently garnered by reading a laymans explanation of it).

1) From what I understand ( which is admittedly abysmal) decreasing the driver ( our overall system momentum in this case) in potentially choatic systems tends to have the opposite effect of producing chaos.

2) The mechanical energy of the system is continually being reduced due to entropy. How do you plan on stopping it so that all the cycles remain forever as they are?

3) What is the plus side to a mile thick sheet of ice destroying most of the worlds modern civilization? Why is this preferable to you instead of a rising ocean?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree