1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 18:53
    https://phys.org/news/2017-04-scientists-evidence-habitable-region-saturn.html
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 19:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Life is possible on many of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. That has been known for quite some time.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 20:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Life is possible on many of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. That has been known for quite some time.
    They found hydrogen and made the connection that it could be an energy source for life or prebiotic molecules.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 02:33
    I would imagine the cold temps are far too extreme. I know there are some microbes that live in extreme cold, but I doubt they could've been formed under cold temperatures.

http://www.astrobio.net/geology/earths-early-temperature/

According to the link, Earth's early temperature of 3.7 billion years ago was likely able to sustain temperatures above freezing due to evidence of enough CO2 being around at that time to keep temps above freezing.

If this is the case, the microbes in the colder places on earth first lived in less extreme cold, and probably evolved over time to be able to sustain colder and colder temperatures. I doubt any planets on Jupiter or Saturn would have life, since life (as we know it) would have even more extreme temperatures than earth's, and probably never had a point (unless you guys evidence to contrary) where their temps were moderate enough to sustain life...especially since (according to the article) the sun was more faint (weaker) than it is now.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 07:38
    They found hydrogen and made the connection that it could be an energy source for life or prebiotic molecules.
    Yes, I know. I just think the whole 'there might be life' hype every time someone finds a rock is a bit over blown.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 07:41
    Originally posted by vivify
    I would imagine the cold temps are far too extreme.
    Many moons are kept warm internally by the usual processes and tidal effects, so several moons are thought to have subsurface oceans of liquid water, with probably some warm areas around volcanic activity. I believe Enceladus has geysers shooting water out into space, so temperatures above boiling (although what is boiling is dependant on pressure).
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 14:48
    Yes, I know. I just think the whole 'there might be life' hype every time someone finds a rock is a bit over blown.
    It's probably done to generate revenue for future research.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '17 14:52
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's probably done to generate revenue for future research.
    Only partially. Much of it is done to generate revenue for the media - because click bait works.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 12:19
    Only partially. Much of it is done to generate revenue for the media - because click bait works.
    Like the 'influencers' who get money touting some product or other, they get X amount per click.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 06:451 edit
    Science is looking and people are interested. I guess the quest could use a governor. I nominate Mr. Spock or tw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree