1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 03:21
    One of the cats that calls my home her home had three kittens, two of which died. The mother cat has some kind of physical disability in her back legs rendering her unable to walk normally and to bound along - both hind legs in unison, like a rabbit - when she tries to run. Her surviving kitten has exactly the same disability in her tiny back legs and has to cope with it in the same way. What's going on here? Just a coincidence?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 04:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    One of the cats that calls my home her home had three kittens, two of which died. The mother cat has some kind of physical disability in her back legs rendering her unable to walk normally and to bound along - both hind legs in unison, like a rabbit - when she tries to run. Her surviving kitten has exactly the same disability in her tiny back legs and has to cope with it in the same way. What's going on here? Just a coincidence?
    Is this something the mother always did? In which case it sounds like some sort of congenital problem with bone structure or tendons or some such. If she used to walk normally then it may be indicative of some sort of infection. Either way you may want to consult a vet.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 06:52
    As DeepThought says, if the mother was born that way then it is probably genetic and its time to have your cat spayed. Next time you want kittens consider adopting as most parts of the world have lots of cats desperately in need of homes.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 07:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    As DeepThought says, if the mother was born that way then it is probably genetic and its time to have your cat spayed. Next time you want kittens consider adopting as most parts of the world have lots of cats desperately in need of homes.
    The mother is a stray and she had the kitten elsewhere before bringing it into our house. We don't know what she was like when she was born and always assumed that she'd been clipped by a passing vehicle. She is also thought to be [according to some neighbours] the mother of the cat we did adopt about a year ago whose hind legs are normal,
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 08:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    One of the cats that calls my home her home had ...
    Hang on; the cat said this?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 09:501 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The mother is a stray and she had the kitten elsewhere before bringing it into our house. We don't know what she was like when she was born and always assumed that she'd been clipped by a passing vehicle. She is also thought to be [according to some neighbours] the mother of the cat we did adopt about a year ago whose hind legs are normal,
    Well it could be genetic and it could be pure chance. Either way, get her spayed as soon as the kitten is old enough and consider consulting a vet for both of them.
    If you are living in her house, its the least you can do.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 10:29
    Originally posted by humy
    She may have used a different turn of phrase.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 21:43
    Originally posted by humy
    Oh, they can be quite chatty if one takes the time to listen...
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 07:55
    The kitten might be imitating her mother.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 13:34
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The kitten might be imitating her mother.
    Its all a scam to get free lodging.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 18:11
    http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/524/20130121/cats-imitate-owners-habits-study.htm
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 05:20
    ...get her spayed as soon as the kitten is old enough and consider consulting a vet for both of them.
    Talk me through this advice. Let us assume that neither of the cats are suffering ~ which is my impression. Why are you saying I should get them spayed?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 09:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Talk me through this advice. Let us assume that neither of the cats are suffering ~ which is my impression. Why are you saying I should get them spayed?
    Because:
    1. Your assumption is wrong. They are necessarily suffering relative to a healthy cat.
    2. There are too many cats in the world needing homes, we should not be producing more kittens. If you want more cats, adopt them.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 11:59
    Because:
    1. Your assumption is wrong. They are necessarily suffering relative to a healthy cat.
    2. There are too many cats in the world needing homes, we should not be producing more kittens. If you want more cats, adopt them.
    Re: No.1: If, as you claim, the cats are suffering, should I have them both destroyed do you think?

Re: No.2: To this end, would I be justified in rounding up cats in my neighbourhood that seem to have no owners and get them spayed?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 17:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Re: No.1: If, as you claim, the cats are suffering, should I have them both destroyed do you think?
    No. Why would you even think that? Would you kill a human that had a limp? Clearly they are suffering relative to a healthy human being and you would not deliberately cause children to be born with limps, but you wouldn't kill them either.

Re: No.2: To this end, would I be justified in rounding up cats in my neighbourhood that seem to have no owners and get them spayed?
    Yes. And I am far from being alone in that opinion. Animal welfare societies do this routinely in many parts of the world.

http://www.feralcatproject.org/how_help_cats.aspx

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree