1. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 08:57
    Originally posted by apathist
    I doubt a clearer proclamation that the map is more real than reality could ever be made.
    I doubt a clearer proclamation that 'my hands are over my ears' could ever be made.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 09:02
    originally posted by twhitehead
    Along the time dimension we have:
    1. Egg on table.
    2. Egg in air.
    3. Egg on floor.
    Depending on which way you go along the timeline, you may see the egg jump off the floor and reassemble on the table.

Treat time as if it were a dimension and then we could have:
    4. egg jump off floor
    5. egg reassemble on table

So the sequence of events, which is what time measures, continues along just as always, while at some point the laws of physics changed.

You have convinced me that time is not a dimension.

Its also odd that you essentially claim that the egg could fall off the table and smash on the floor given that you also claim the past doesn't exist and the egg was never on the table in the first place.
    The past existed. It does not currently exist.
    The future will exist. It does not currently exist.

Its like tense is news for you.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 09:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I doubt a clearer proclamation that 'my hands are over my ears' could ever be made.
    Tit for tat doesn't work when you have no point.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 09:19
    Originally posted by humy
    Clearly yes;
    For example, you can pass a light photon through it and measure how long the photon takes to reach the other side and, given c is constant, thus measure the length of that empty space. And if you argue that it is no longer empty as soon as you start passing the photon through it, you can use the workaround of passing the photon not directly thoug ...[text shortened]... s it through some space adjacent i.e. along side it and measure its length that way indirectly.
    There are two issues here.

1. If space can be pure nothing, then science has no business saying it expands or it curves. Just say objects move away from each other or that mass attracts mass. The two analogies in question beg the freaking question.

2. Pure empty space, at a minimum, is such that it can potentially transmit that photon. Potential is not nothing, and so pure empty space must be something after all.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 09:30
    The speed of light for one.
    If space is expanding, then objects can move away from each other faster than the speed of light. If space is not expanding, they can't.
    That's the map. I thought c was a limit in reality.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Oct '16 09:49
    originally posted by twhitehead
    If you were to measure the distance across the sun (diameter) and measure the distance around the sun (perimeter) you would find that the perimeter is not pi time diameter. This is because gravity makes space actually compress within the sun.
    Wow. We've measured the sun and geometry is fine. I'm starting to think you are a super-troll.

The whole effect involves time as well, and this can be measured (and has been measured, and is a necessary consideration for GPS).
    GPS relies on the circumference of the sun not equaling pi times diameter. Well known fact. Elvis was found in the roswell ufo, too.
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 00:45
    You are wrong and missing something.
    If you were to measure the distance across the sun (diameter) and measure the distance around the sun (perimeter) you would find that the perimeter is not pi time diameter. This is because gravity makes space actually compress within the sun.
    The whole effect involves time as well, and this can be measured (and has been measured, and is a necessary consideration for GPS).
    Exactly, it involves time. This is why there should always be a distinction between space and spacetime.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 06:54
    There are two issues here.

1. If space can be pure nothing, ...
    Who says it is "pure nothing"? Nobody I am aware of says this or would think this. Space is 'something'.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 07:33
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Exactly, it involves time.
    And?
    You were still missing something.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 07:331 edit
    That's the map. I thought c was a limit in reality.
    What is the map?

Yes, c is a limit in reality. But c is a measure of speed which is distance over time. Distance travelled is measured through space. This means space has a fundamental scale. When that scale changes you can actually go faster than c.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 07:361 edit
    Wow. We've measured the sun and geometry is fine. I'm starting to think you are a super-troll.
    And I am starting to think you are super dense with my posts just warping around you while you block any sense from entering your head.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 10:20
    Originally posted by humy
    Who says it is "pure nothing"? Nobody I am aware of says this or would think this. Space is 'something'.
    Well okay then. So what is it?

I wonder too, should it ('empty' space, which is something but I don't what) be considered as different from whatever surrounded the original singularity? In what way?
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 10:311 edit
    What is the map?

Yes, c is a limit in reality. But c is a measure of speed which is distance over time. Distance travelled is measured through space. This means space has a fundamental scale. When that scale changes you can actually go faster than c.
    Map v terrain. A description of something v that something itself. Physics math v physical reality. The word 'tree' v the tree.

Your last two sentences. They merely restate that space itself can expand - and not because the things in it move apart. Rather, the things in it can move apart because the space itself can expand. Which leaves my question unaddressed. What does space itself consist of such that it can expand?

Actually go faster than c? We've observed this have we? More likely, you merely conflate suggestions derived from physics maths with the actual nature of reality.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 10:391 edit
    And I am starting to think you are super dense with my posts just warping around you while you block any sense from entering your head.
    That's a possibility of course. More likely though is that our communication problem mostly is caused by you, the guy who doesn't understand the concept of context when reading (evidenced in the addiction thread) and who doesn't understand tense when using language and who doesn't understand the difference between a description and the thing being described (both evidenced in this thread).

All three of those concepts are simple, fundamental and basic requirements for successful communication.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Oct '16 10:492 edits
    What is the map?

How comfortable you are with offering an assertion that contains a direct contradiction. I bet you were unaware of it. Some sort of cognitive dissonance.

Btw, 'traveled' has only one 'L' according to spell check. I'm not sure if I already knew that. Apparently
    The official requirements are that we ‘double a single consonant letter at the end of any base where the preceding vowel is spelled with a single letter and stressed’.

http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammar-tip/is-it-travelled-or-traveled/

Huh. I might find that helpful if I can manage to remember it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree