1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 May '16 10:44
    Specifically in the narrow context of this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tank_problem

and specifically only to the Bayesian approach to the German tank problem (not interested in the other approaches ) ;

Is there any distinction in meaning between
    "credibility mass distribution"
    and
    "probability mass distribution"
    ?
    Do they mean exactly the same thing or is there a subtle difference and, if so, what is it?

And is the Bayesian approach equations shown in that link for sampling with replacement or without replacement?
    -I had always thought definitely with replacement but now not totally sure.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 May '16 12:097 edits
    In particular, where it says in that link;

"Credibility of N knowing M and K"

does that statement in the very narrow context of that link, and in all terms of mathematical expressions, mean exactly the same thing as:

"Probability of N knowing M and K"

Or is there a subtle difference in meaning that is such that the "Probability of N knowing M and K" would be expressed by a DIFFERENT equation (if any equation ) ?
    and, if so, what is that subtle difference in meaning?

Is the word "Credibility" in that very narrow context of that narrow part of the link just another way of saying "Probability mass"? Because, and this is what has got me confused, if it is "Probability mass" then I can prove no such "Probability mass" with the particular equation they use can possibly exists! (proof far to complex long and arduous to show here so I won't)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree