1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Mar '17 00:001 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Botanically speaking, a coconut is a fibrous one-seeded drupe, also known as a dry drupe.
    You trying to drupe us now? What has Coconuts got to do with manufactured meat?

So are peaches Drupes? Sounds like it should be.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Mar '17 00:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You trying to drupe us now? What has Coconuts got to do with manufactured meat?

So are peaches Drupes? Sounds like it should be.
    Any fleshy kind of fruit (I believe) are considered drupes.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '17 15:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    Any fleshy kind of fruit (I believe) are considered drupes.
    The connection, perhaps, is that plant-based food sources could eventually replace cow serum as a food source for in vitro cultured tissues?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Mar '17 16:47
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    The connection, perhaps, is that plant-based food sources could eventually replace cow serum as a food source for in vitro cultured tissues?
    What is cow serum?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Mar '17 17:16
    What is cow serum?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_bovine_serum
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 18:402 edits
    Well, for now farmers are safe due to the pesky detail of that stuff costing $9000 a pound....

My daughter Heather is a vegetarian and I asked her if she would eat meat manufactured like that and she said yes, so I think there will be a market for it if the price comes down to something reasonable.
    I did a little research. The company itself (Memphis Meats) does not publish their protocols. But from a basic science standpoint, many protocols are out there that have developed a serum-free, albeit much more expensive, methodology [1]. To summarize this 2017 review article, all of these products seem to be experimental, the technical limitations are still being worked out, there are significant safety and regulatory issues to overcome, and large-scale production would be a necessary step before it would be environmentally-friendly or financially-feasible. It sounds like a year 2030+ type of time scale.

But, there is a seemingly better version of this already available [2]. It's a veggie burger, technically, but they add in heme, which is a major protein in blood. Gustatorially, this added ingredient makes it taste a lot like the real deal. Aesthetically, it looks and feels more like meat. Nutritionally, it's nearly identical to a hamburger.

And, it wouldn't put farmers out of business, since it still needs wheat, potatoes and coconut oil. According to the article, it should be in grocery stores starting this year.

Since this already exists, what improvements could actual in vitro meat make?

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25942290
    [2] http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/23/oakland-impossible-meatless-burgers-ramp-up-production-at-new-facility/
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 20:081 edit
    I did a little research. The company itself (Memphis Meats) does not publish their protocols. But from a basic science standpoint, many protocols are out there that have developed a serum-free, albeit much more expensive, methodology [1]. To summarize this 2017 review article, all of these products seem to be experimental, the technical limitations are sti ...[text shortened]... tbaytimes.com/2017/03/23/oakland-impossible-meatless-burgers-ramp-up-production-at-new-facility/
    Have you eaten one? Do they taste like the real thing? I could sneak this stuff on my family and maybe they wouldn't notice the difference.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 20:55
    Have you eaten one? Do they taste like the real thing? I could sneak this stuff on my family and maybe they wouldn't notice the difference.
    No I haven't. So far they're only served in restaurants in California. But I did find a foodie review, which stated "they are similar enough to real beef to make you think, "Oh, I'm eating beef!", but just far enough away from it to make you think, "Hmm, something is not quite right here, but darned if that isn't delicious."

It definitely 'looks' like a real cheeseburger.

Link: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/beyond-burger-impossible-burger-vegan-taste-test.html
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 07:59
    Nutritionally, it's nearly identical to a hamburger.
    How do they achieve that. There are a lot of things in meat that simply cannot be got from plants.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 08:01
    No I haven't. So far they're only served in restaurants in California. But I did find a foodie review, which stated "they are similar enough to real beef to make you think, "Oh, I'm eating beef!", but just far enough away from it to make you think, "Hmm, something is not quite right here, but darned if that isn't delicious."
    I am personally not so hung up on eating meat that I want everything to look and taste like meat. I have always found the 'fake mince' and such made from soya to be a bad idea. I am more than happy eating something that doesn't remotely look or taste like meat so long as it tastes good and is nutritionally good.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 04:23
    I did a little research. The company itself (Memphis Meats) does not publish their protocols. But from a basic science standpoint, many protocols are out there that have developed a serum-free, albeit much more expensive, methodology [1]. To summarize this 2017 review article, all of these products seem to be experimental, the technical limitations are sti ...[text shortened]... tbaytimes.com/2017/03/23/oakland-impossible-meatless-burgers-ramp-up-production-at-new-facility/
    Nutritionally, it's nearly identical to a hamburger

High in saturated fats?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 15:31
    Incidentally, I eat a lot of Ostrich burgers. I don't know how they compare environmentally and nutritionally to beef burgers.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 23:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Incidentally, I eat a lot of Ostrich burgers. I don't know how they compare environmentally and nutritionally to beef burgers.
    If you haven't checked how they compare then you're just hiding your head in the sand.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 06:55
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If you haven't checked how they compare then you're just hiding your head in the sand.
    Or maybe I just don't peck at every shiny object I see. 🙂
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 16:421 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Nyuk Nyuk🙂 Our last day in Jerusalem before we hit Tel Aviv airport was having ostrich at the American Colony hotel. Was surprised it was red meat, looked like it could have been beef. There is an ostrich farm near Jerusalem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree