1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 12:47
    It has been a ongoing Topic of discussion that players enter "Timebank only" tournaments and raise their vacation flag when their timebank runs out to gain more moves.

Even though it could mean some programming effort I would suggest to enable taking timeouts against Players with protection for games in Hardcore tournaments.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 00:55
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    It has been a ongoing Topic of discussion that players enter "Timebank only" tournaments and raise their vacation flag when their timebank runs out to gain more moves.

Even though it could mean some programming effort I would suggest to enable taking timeouts against Players with protection for games in Hardcore tournaments.
    I'd support this. I don't play "timebank only" games myself but a lot of players have reported the complete blocking of a tournament due to an opportunistic player with a lot of available vacation days.

It seems inequitable to me that one player can stop the entire tournament for five weeks while he makes his carefully considered moves, when all other players have observed the time constraints.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Oct '16 08:26
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'd support this. I don't play "timebank only" games myself but a lot of players have reported the complete blocking of a tournament due to an opportunistic player with a lot of available vacation days.

It seems inequitable to me that one player can stop the entire tournament for five weeks while he makes his carefully considered moves, when all other players have observed the time constraints.
    Seems like there was one of those Players around..
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 14:58
    2 thumbs up so we probably can Forget about this?
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 15:12
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    2 thumbs up so we probably can Forget about this?
    Not a lot of people bother with the forums hence the lack of support for a lot of good ideas.
    I don't usually do the thumb thing but I do agree with the suggestion.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 15:51
    I don't play tournaments anymore but at one time, I thought that using the 'vacation' option was disabled in all tournament games. Maybe I'm just confused.

I know that claiming a timeout win was not optional. If you didn't claim it when the skull came up, the program would claim it automatically after a couple of days. I never did understand why the extra days were added before it happened automatically. Why not just do it right away when the time expires.

I agree with leaving it as just an option to claim it in a regular game, but tournaments should be automatic and immediate, in my opinion.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 21:44
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I don't play tournaments anymore but at one time, I thought that using the 'vacation' option was disabled in all tournament games. Maybe I'm just confused.

I know that claiming a timeout win was not optional. If you didn't claim it when the skull came up, the program would claim it automatically after a couple of days. I never did understand why the ...[text shortened]... to claim it in a regular game, but tournaments should be automatic and immediate, in my opinion.
    The timeout option is not disabled in tournament games, nor anywhere else.
    I think the "grace period" was designed for players who may be a little behind for one reason or another.
    What Ponderable is saying is a different issue and applies to "timebank only" tournaments where players are using the flag to potentially extend their participation in the tournamnent by up to 36 days
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    03 Dec '16 00:27
    Originally posted by venda
    The timeout option is not disabled in tournament games, nor anywhere else.
    I think the "grace period" was designed for players who may be a little behind for one reason or another.
    What Ponderable is saying is a different issue and applies to "timebank only" tournaments where players are using the flag to potentially extend their participation in the tournamnent by up to 36 days
    Yes, I know the time controls are active in tournaments.

So what about the vacation flag? Has it always been honored in tournament games?
    I thought at one time it was not honored during a tournament game.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Dec '16 10:22
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Yes, I know the time controls are active in tournaments.

So what about the vacation flag? Has it always been honored in tournament games?
    I thought at one time it was not honored during a tournament game.
    You've been on here a lot longer than me my friend.
    The flag has always been honoured in all games while I've been on here.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '16 23:23
    Originally posted by Kewpie

I support the idea behind this suggestion also.
  11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Feb '17 09:18
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I support the idea behind this suggestion also.
    ...and since the problem resurfaces regularly I just keep the suggestion floating 🙂
  12. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 08:40
    There is a blatant misuse of the vacation flag at the moment with a player with over 800 games in progress, who is making moves everyday and has used the protection of the vacation flag but the shameful thing is he is timing players out in hardcore 21s when his own time expired well before.
  13. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 19:15
    Originally posted by jb70
    There is a blatant misuse of the vacation flag at the moment with a player with over 800 games in progress, who is making moves everyday and has used the protection of the vacation flag but the shameful thing is he is timing players out in hardcore 21s when his own time expired well before.
    In the middle of one of these now and the usage of vacation time is making a mockery of the tournament. It simply makes no sense when a player engages in this use of vacation time. By the way, just to even the field, I have now done the same. I will win the four games against that player, simply because he went first. I am not complaining. I am just stating the fact as it is happening.
  14. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 20:50
    Originally posted by coquette
    In the middle of one of these now and the usage of vacation time is making a mockery of the tournament. It simply makes no sense when a player engages in this use of vacation time. By the way, just to even the field, I have now done the same. I will win the four games against that player, simply because he went first. I am not complaining. I am just stating the fact as it is happening.
    in time bank only tournaments use the conditional move option you can have a few on the go, saves time

i prefer 1-0 as i always move every day, i agree the no timebank vacation flag abusers are not playing fairly, but it's not against the rules, more loop holes are exposed on here all the time

if players would just play honestly
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 03:22
    I think it's abused so frequently in timebank-only tournaments as to warrant a programming change.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree