1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 20:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    If you are asking this I don't think you have understood the text. But thats ok.
    troll...not understanding. It's gotta be one of them
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 20:10
    what is an act of faith?
    Killing a newborn because some creepy guys around you have told you this baby will cause evil later in life ?
    (just a suggestion)
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 21:12
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    troll...not understanding. It's gotta be one of them
    Its really an interesting subject. What is it that gives our lives meaning? If someone is immensely wealthy or powerful, or intelligent, or beautiful, or artistically talented? does their life have more meaning than someone else with less wealth or not as intelligent etc etc

I was thinking about two rabbits. A wild rabbit and a domestic rabbit. It appeared to me that the wild rabbits surely must experience more of life, he has to contend with foxes, eagles, weasels. His sensory perception is literally a matter of life or death. He has to find his own food, battle against the elements. A domestic rabbit by contrast has little to fear from any of these things if his owner is caring and responsible. Which is truly living? It appeared to me that as humans we have fabricated all kinds of constructs designed to make life easier or more comfortable but may infact be a kind of illusion that prevents us from truly living.

I am incredibly interested in what people do to give their lives meaning.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 21:15
    Great, we shall start the chess existentialist society of RHP. But seriously, you have a theology degree, what is it that gives one persons life more meaning than another? This business of living, it appears to me that we build constructs which civilise us but reduce us to a kind of domestic rabbit when we would experience living as wild rabbits. What say you?
    You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

Buddha
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 21:28
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Interestingly 'existentialist philosopher' is an anagram of:

I am Lord Voldemort.
    Except for the x, s, p, h, r, i, it's perfect.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 22:022 edits
    You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

Buddha
    Its really interesting. A Christian is taught that he must love others as he does himself. Logically therefore one must have at least a degree of self love before one can love others as oneself, surely?
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 15:58
    Its really interesting. A Christian is taught that he must love others as he does himself. Logically therefore one must have at least a degree of self love before one can love others as oneself, surely?
    One of the very reasons I try and develop self esteem in the clients I work with. Valuing one's own life (and in effect loving oneself) is the building block to interacting with and valuing other people. - Whitney Huston probably said it better.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 18:12
    One of the very reasons I try and develop self esteem in the clients I work with. Valuing one's own life (and in effect loving oneself) is the building block to interacting with and valuing other people. - Whitney Huston probably said it better.
    Yes I suspect that self loathing could be immensely destructive.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 18:35
    Yes I suspect that self loathing could be immensely destructive.
    Please take a seat on my couch sir and tell me about your self loathing...
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 18:471 edit
    Please take a seat on my couch sir and tell me about your self loathing...
    hmm I suspect that we all have aspects of our personality that we are not to enamoured with. Sadly I don't have 1200 pounds sterling to be lavishing on some wholesome psychoanalysis, but if I did, I would gladly give it to you.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 19:38
    hmm I suspect that we all have aspects of our personality that we are not to enamoured with. Sadly I don't have 1200 pounds sterling to be lavishing on some wholesome psychoanalysis, but if I did, I would gladly give it to you.
    And I would gladly take it sir.

🙂
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 21:47
    Its really an interesting subject. What is it that gives our lives meaning? If someone is immensely wealthy or powerful, or intelligent, or beautiful, or artistically talented? does their life have more meaning than someone else with less wealth or not as intelligent etc etc

I was thinking about two rabbits. A wild rabbit and a domestic rabb ...[text shortened]... from truly living.

I am incredibly interested in what people do to give their lives meaning.
    I think I get you. We have invented all sorts of things to make us happy but when,say ...flipping bottles (with a bit of water inside) has become the latest craze amongst the school kids here it underlines that you cant "capture" fun. And no one invented it (marketed it)
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 21:49
    Agreed
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 01:092 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think I get you. We have invented all sorts of things to make us happy but when,say ...flipping bottles (with a bit of water inside) has become the latest craze amongst the school kids here it underlines that you cant "capture" fun. And no one invented it (marketed it)
    Yes, flipping bottles has become outlawed!!!

Why? I remember when marbles got outlawed at school, primarily because of the gambling factor. Yo-yo's got introduced and outlawed 6 months later.
    The point: If the kids are having too much fun then they are somehow too distracted from schoolwork.
    But bottle-flipping? no one has invented or marketed this. Something to do in the lunch break. It's too popular-lets ban it. Is this going to cause resentment in otherwise intelligent children?

Have we set children on the road to anti-establishmentism?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree