1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 07:581 edit
    When the interview was over, he offered me eternal life — and a contact I could call day or night

In 2004, Prince had the highest-grossing tour in the world — surpassing even Madonna — simply because he chose to. With a strong new album in Musicology and decades of hits to back him up, he put on an amazing series of in-the-round, tour de force shows that left fans stunned.

Also: He tried to convert me.

At the time I was a music writer for the Rocky Mountain News in Colorado. Prince was coming to play two sold-out shows in Denver and I wanted to write a piece on this new phase of his career. He had done several interviews after a long silence but quickly got frustrated. His publicist told me Prince was sick of seeing the words “diminutive” and “Purple Rain” lead off nearly every piece published, so he quit doing interviews. I countered with a long proposal, explaining that I’d written extensively about his moves after his public “slave” dust-up with Warner Brothers. I understood his artistic and business motivations and wanted to have a serious talk. Several days later, Prince reviewed it and sent a one-word reply: “Approved.”

When we met in Milwaukee, everything went sour. The traffic from Chicago made the entire tour late. This was the one show of the tour not in-the-round, so a new setup and extensive soundcheck were needed. I sat alone in the empty amphitheater as Prince put his band through their paces for more than an hour while he personally tweaked the sound from every corner of the place. He scowled as his crew labored to get it just right, while I pinched myself at this private concert.

Everyone asks: “What was he like?”

In his dressing room backstage, he gave me a warm handshake and the big Prince smile. He couldn’t have been more cordial and relaxed, despite the strained soundcheck. It was like shooting the breeze with anyone — he couldn’t have been more down-to-earth. I had good questions and Prince gave great answers, smiling slyly as he saw the record industry imploding through downloading — something he had made profitably available to his fans for years. He insisted he didn’t want to say “I told you so!” But his grin said otherwise.

My allotted 20 minutes grew to more than an hour as he brushed off his handlers and kept talking. I felt guilty as I heard the cheers of fans outside, knowing I was the hold-up. Finally, I insisted he had to stop and get ready for the show.

During the interview, we had talked a bit about God, both as a deity and as a subject in Prince songs such as “The Holy River” and “Let’s Go Crazy.” While he lyrics and stage show could be risque, he had never stopped believing or invoking God’s name in his songs. “He is great,” he told me, adding that he still felt compelled to write about God because he was such a big portion of his life. Prince had been raised a Seventh Day Adventist, but in 2001 he converted to the Jehovah’s Witness sect. Soon after, a Jewish couple in Minneapolis answered their door on Yom Kippur to discover Prince on their porch with a copy of the religion’s newsletter, The Watchtower, in his hand. Turns out they were fans, and they invited him in.

On my way out the door, Prince gave me a Watchtower pamphlet, looked me in the eye and told me that when I was ready I should call his publicist anytime, day or night, and she would get him on the phone immediately so he could convert me himself.

I said I’d let him know if that day ever came. Now it never will.

The next day, Prince put an apology on his website for the two-hour show delay. When the tour hit Denver a few weeks later I picked up my tickets as the box office. My wife and I kept walking down, down, down, following the usher. He planted us in front-row tickets at one of the four corners of the stage and Prince shredded on guitar for two hours right above our heads.

Nothing diminutive about him. I’m gonna miss that guy.

http://time.com/4303703/prince-dead-jehovahs-witness/
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 08:39
    Super wealthy narcissist leads risky lifestyle and eventually the drug abuse wrecks his life prematurely. Hardly the model of Christian living we are accustomed to.

There is no romance in the premature death of a talented individual. Too many idiots assume that creativity and self harm (drugs, drink, you name it) are intertwined. In fact we have known for more than fifty years that substance abuse destroys creative talent over and over, and never ever enhances creativity.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 08:43
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Super wealthy narcissist leads risky lifestyle and eventually the drug abuse wrecks his life prematurely. Hardly the model of Christian living we are accustomed to.

There is no romance in the premature death of a talented individual. Too many idiots assume that creativity and self harm (drugs, drink, you name it) are intertwined. In fact we have known ...[text shortened]... that substance abuse destroys creative talent over and over, and never ever enhances creativity.
    You seem to know more about the cause of death than most of us?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:311 edit

There is no romance in the premature death of a talented individual. Too many idiots assume that creativity and self harm (drugs, drink, you name it) are intertwined. In fact we have known ...[text shortened]... that substance abuse destroys creative talent over and over, and never ever enhances creativity.
    Remind me not to ask you to eulogise anyone at a funeral Finnegan.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:33
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You seem to know more about the cause of death than most of us?
    Indeed, Finnegan attributes it to drug abuse and hedonism.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    http://time.com/4303703/prince-dead-jehovahs-witness/
    How do you think Prince's lyrics ~ since 2001 when he joined the JWs ~ went down at his local Kingdom Hall?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    How do you think Prince's lyrics ~ since 2001 when he joined the JWs ~ went down at his local Kingdom Hall?
    Obviously the brothers adopted some of those songs into the Kingdom melody play list and sang them before and after every meeting, after all they must have considered them to be Holy.🙄
  8. Germany
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:44

Your latter comment is interesting - what do you base it on?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:45
    Obviously the brothers adopted some of those songs into the Kingdom melody play list and sang them before and after every meeting, after all they must have considered them to be Holy.🙄
    It was a serious question, which is - I suppose - why you sidestepped it. I would have thought Prince's lyrics and video art both pre-2001 and post-2001 would be inappropriate and unacceptable to his elders and his brothers at his Kingdom Hall. If you think they would be deemed appropriate and acceptable, it would be interesting for you to explain why; you have after all, started a thread about Prince being a JW.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:481 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    It was a serious question, which is - I suppose - why you sidestepped it. I would have thought Prince's lyrics and video art both pre-2001 and post-2001 would be inappropriate and unacceptable to his elders and his brothers at his Kingdom Hall. If you think they would be deemed appropriate and acceptable, it would be interesting for you to explain why; you have after all, started a thread about Prince being a JW.
    I started a thread to demonstrate what type of man he was, not to invite narrow minded moralists like you to speculate about what others may or may have thought about the morality of his song lyrics.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    Indeed, I remember Robert describing how and elder in his congregation had to step down from his position due to his son appearing on some 'tacky holiday for teens tv show' licking alcoholic spirits from some girls naval. (If my memory is correct).
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:55
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Indeed, I remember Robert describing how and elder in his congregation had to step down from his position due to his son appearing on some 'tacky holiday for teens tv show' licking alcoholic spirits from some girls naval. (If my memory is correct).
    Thats right the buffoon was caught by a sister who was ill and watching a holiday program on T.V. out of his face on some Greek Island dancing on tables and making a fool of himself. Naturally the brothers father had to step down from his position as an elder because he was scripturally disqualified,

He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. - 1 Timothy 3
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 09:58
    I started a thread to demonstrate what type of man he was, not to invite narrow minded moralists like you to speculate about what others may or may have thought about the morality of his song lyrics.
    But why would you start a thread about an artist on a Spirituality Forum, mention that he was a member of your religion, and then immediately start dodging discussion of his art and dodging discussion of your religion's attitude to art such as his?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    But why would you start a thread about an artist on a Spirituality Forum, mention that he was a member of your religion, and then immediately start dodging discussion of his art and dodging discussion of your religion's attitude to art such as his?
    Ad hominem -

Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.

https://www.wordnik.com/words/ad%20hominem
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:06
    I started a thread to demonstrate what type of man he was...
    Seen through the prism of his art, what "type of man" was he, do you think?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree