1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 04:141 edit
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/health/jim-carrey-lawsuit/

Some may have heard this news but the actor Jim Carrey recently lost an ex-girlfriend to suicide. The method she chose was an overdose on addictive medication that some are alleging came from Jim Carrey himself. Now they are taking him to court in a civil suit.

Here is what Jim said:
    Carrey, denying wrongdoing in White's death, vowed in a statement to fight the allegations rather than settle the civil lawsuit out of court. After dating White on and off reportedly since 2012, he said he would not to tolerate "this heartless attempt to exploit me or the woman I loved."
    "What a terrible shame," the actor said in a statement. "It would be easy for me to get in a back room with this man's lawyer and make this go away, but there are some moments in life when you have to stand up and defend your honor against the evil in this world."

I've read in other articles that Jim dumped his ex-girlfriend after giving her STD's. She then referred to herself as "damaged goods" and said now she would not be able to find anyone to love her again.

So who is at fault her, if anyone?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 05:10
    Originally posted by whodey

Some may have heard this news but the actor Jim Carrey recently lost an ex-girlfriend to suicide. The method she chose was an overdose on addictive medication that some are alleging came from Jim Carrey himself. Now they are taking him to court in a civil suit.

Here is what Jim said:
    Carrey, de ...[text shortened]... ow she would not be able to find anyone to love her again.

Based on "some are alleging" and "Jim said" and "I've read"?

Really? Is this your standard of evidence?

It's no wonder you live in the world of grodercy store tabloids.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 05:56
    Originally posted by JS357

It's no wonder you live in the world of grocercy store tabloids.
    whodey has long been a self-styled champion of a more decent public and political domain with a more honest and fair standard of discourse.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 07:48
    Assuming everything you have told us is true (which, coming from you, it almost certainly isn't), there really isn't enough information to lay blame. But the 'damaged goods' reference can be blamed on Christianity.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 09:541 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Assuming everything you have told us is true (which, coming from you, it almost certainly isn't), there really isn't enough information to lay blame. But the 'damaged goods' reference can be blamed on Christianity.
    You have GOT to be joking. I gather that it's a self-esteem issue, probably instigated by her parents and reinforced by every man she's ever known, as well as a "victim" mentality, which could have been caused by virtually anything. Bad relationship choices could be an issue here, as they often are, because she's far from the only one who's been mistreated by an "a-hole" boyfriend.

I've spoken about some of my own history, and I've never considered myself "damaged goods". It just sounds ridiculous to me.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 10:25

It's no wonder you live in the world of grodercy store tabloids.
    You are right, I should not have used their names.

Assuming the information is correct, what do you think is the moral issue here if any?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 10:26
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You have GOT to be joking. I gather that it's a self-esteem issue, probably instigated by her parents and reinforced by every man she's ever known, as well as a "victim" mentality, which could have been caused by virtually anything. Bad relationship choices could be an issue here, as they often are, because she's far from the only one who's been mistreate ...[text shortened]... own history, and I've never considered myself "damaged goods". It just sounds ridiculous to me.
    So you would say that the moral issue here is probably poor self esteem caused by her parents?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 13:071 edit
    You have GOT to be joking.
    No, not at all. The belief that a woman must preserve her virginity and body for one man etc is promoted by Christianity. Do you deny this?

I've spoken about some of my own history, and I've never considered myself "damaged goods". It just sounds ridiculous to me.
    Then your own history is clearly not relevant. It would appear you were not brought up to think that having sex outside marriage would ruin your sale value. But that is secularism that has helped to remove such stigma against the pressure of religion.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 20:04

Here is what Jim said:
    Carrey, de ...[text shortened]... ow she would not be able to find anyone to love her again.

Don't tell me, let me guess....the protagonist is a democrat...?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 20:26
    You are right, I should not have used their names.

Assuming the information is correct, what do you think is the moral issue here if any?
    Not using their names was not my point.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 22:091 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, not at all. The belief that a woman must preserve her virginity and body for one man etc is promoted by Christianity. Do you deny this?

[b]I've spoken about some of my own history, and I've never considered myself "damaged goods". It just sounds ridiculous to me.

Then your own history is clearly not relevant. It would appear you were not brou ...[text shortened]... . But that is secularism that has helped to remove such stigma against the pressure of religion.[/b]
    You go on living in yesterday.

First you blast Christianity for these outdated notions, and then you blast the "way" I was brought up for not thinking in this antiquated way. Can't have it both ways.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 22:17
    So you would say that the moral issue here is probably poor self esteem caused by her parents?
    What I'm saying is that, sad as this is, this isn't a "moral" issue.

People get dumped every day. Her failure to stand up for herself and her "victim" thinking merely turns this into a child thinking of her death at her own hand as a "they'll be sorry then!" moment.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 10:45
    Not using their names was not my point.
    My point is that I'm not prosecuting any party in the story, thus the names are not relevant.

My only interest is seeing the moral perspectives on the matter by various parties.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 10:47
    What I'm saying is that, sad as this is, this isn't a "moral" issue.

People get dumped every day. Her failure to stand up for herself and her "victim" thinking merely turns this into a child thinking of her death at her own hand as a "they'll be sorry then!" moment.
    As was pointed out, the Bible clearly states that men and women should not fornicate.

Do you disavow this command as not being moral or do you consider having sex while dating not fortification?
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 13:001 edit
    Is it Obama?

It's Obama, isn't it?

I bet it's Obama.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree