1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 16:28
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why do you even give a damn what kind of Christian [KellyJay] is?
    The kind of Christian he is surely will have implications for how he would go about convincing other theists about his religion, which is, after all, the thread's topic.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 16:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    The kind of Christian he is surely will have implications for how he would go about convincing other theists about his religion, which is, after all, the thread's topic.
    My mom and sister are both Mormon. When I moved to Thailand for a job there, several years, I had a weight limit of 63 pounds of stuff I could take with.

My mom wanted me to take a 50 pound stack of bibles to distribute amongst the natives in Thailand.

I politely refused.

Then I saw this actual Mormon family walking around the town of NKP (I mis-spell it every time, Nakomphenom, or something like that🙂

So what I saw I was appalled:

The Mormon family, parents and 10 kids all walking in single file like they were avoiding snakes or something, disdain obvious to me.

So a few months go by and I saw on the news that family had seen the sights in Bankok and went to see the Jade Buddha, a greatly loved religious statue. So what do they do but climb up to the head of the statue, taking pictures and then another member of the family getting up to the top and taking THEIR pictures.

It was so insensitive as to be illegal. it turns out to actually BE illegal in Thailand since the butt is considered the lowest place spiritually on the human body and the head the highest, it is a grave crime to do what they did.

So being totally unaware of much of anything in Thailand, since their express purpose was to convert the poor savages there to Mormonism, they took the films (no digital then) to a local photo shop to get developed and unbeknownst to them the owner was in fact Buddhist and when he saw the images he was enraged and turned them in to the authorities.

They were handed 6 month jail sentences and THEN deported.

So much for religious tolerance.

Like I said, I was appalled at the whole thing from beginning to end.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 16:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So much for religious tolerance.
    In the light of your anecdote, who are you saying should have tolerated what?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 16:581 edit
    My mom and sister are both Mormon. When I moved to Thailand for a job there, several years, I had a weight limit of 63 pounds of stuff I could take with.

My mom wanted me to take a 50 pound stack of bibles to distribute amongst the natives in Thailand.

I politely refused.

Then I saw this actual Mormon family walking around the town of NKP (I mis-sp ...[text shortened]... r religious tolerance.

Like I said, I was appalled at the whole thing from beginning to end.
    What part was religious intolerance in your story? The family that might not have known
    what it was they were doing or that a Buddhist was upset? I'm also a little confused why
    you would think parents with 10 kids walking in single file was showing disdain for what
    was around them? Keeping an eye on 10 kids who didn't behave that way would be very
    difficult don't you think? I do believe who ever sent that family over there didn't do a good
    job on letting them know about culture norms to avoid offending someone in another
    country.
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 17:321 edit
    Then why do people continue to kill in the name of this god?
    1. Because they probably belong to a religion whose leader is still in the grave.

2. They choose to ignore the words, "love they enemy" and "love your neighbor as you love yourself".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree