1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 09:43
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Will cost you your intellectual integrity.
    Or a bit of faith.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 11:39
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Or a bit of faith.
    If a man built a house on sand and expressed 'faith' that the foundations would be strong enough to support the weight, despite a lack of credible evidence, would you rate highly the integrity of his intelligence?
  3. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 15:44
    Excellent subject for discussion, FMF.

Glib Christianese response (e.g. josephw) are not helpful.

I have seen Christians die with hope and also in torment. Case in point - my mother, who was a Christian since childhood, daughter of a stern pastor/evangelist, always afraid of falling short of the expectations of a stern god. She was terrified her deceased husband would not be in heaven because he had not "witnessed enough" according to Rom 10:10.

Everybody would gain by contemplating death. Somebody once said you cannot really live unless you know how to die. Spoiler alert - it is going to happen to all of us!
  4. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 15:50
    If you are thirty-something pondering your own mortality may be morbid. But as you approach my age (75) it makes a lot of sense to prepare and reflect on what is still important in life.

And in my book family comes out on top.
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 16:24
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    If a man built a house on sand and expressed 'faith' that the foundations would be strong enough to support the weight, despite a lack of credible evidence, would you rate highly the integrity of his intelligence?
    It's a matter of perspective, just because you don't view evidence to be 'credible' doesn't mean that someone else may not see it as credible.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Apr '17 01:16
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm more interested in talking about life. I have Jesus. Death isn't an issue. Jesus conquered death. Through Jesus I have life eternal.
    Tell that to someone with terminal cancer in constant daily pain who cant control their own death. See how much your words speak to someone like that.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Apr '17 01:22
    Originally posted by CalJust
    If you are thirty-something pondering your own mortality may be morbid. But as you approach my age (75) it makes a lot of sense to prepare and reflect on what is still important in life.

And in my book family comes out on top.
    And even at 35 one should be contemplating their eventual demise to some degree.
    Death education should be more prevelant, because as you rightly put it, it is inevitable.
  8. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    25 Apr '17 08:45
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    And even at 35 one should be contemplating their eventual demise to some degree.
    Death education should be more prevelant, because as you rightly put it, it is inevitable.
    I agree. But I can't even get my forty-year-old sons to think about and plan for retirement, never mind death!
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Apr '17 21:27
    Originally posted by CalJust
    I agree. But I can't even get my forty-year-old sons to think about and plan for retirement, never mind death!
    Well it's just natural that you cant get your kids to think about what you want 😀

Maybe it's because they don't want to be like their parents. sometimes I hear myself talking like my dad and I just hate it
  10. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 09:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Well it's just natural that you cant get your kids to think about what you want 😀
    Maybe this is a bit off topic (ever so slightly!) but one of my main frustrations is watching my kids make the same mistakes, and go through the same issues that I did, and I COULD have helped them avoid it, if it wasn't for the fact that I have learnt to not give advice.

Apparently every generation has to go through the same problems and learn things for themselves.

However, it does remind me of an old saying: "A wise man learns from his mistakes. A wiser man learns from the mistakes of others and doesn't make them in the first place!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree