1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 17:232 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I've started listening to it as well as reading it.
    Oh, listening to the Bible being read is good too. But get someone who reads with his or her spirit and puts their heart into it.

Alexander Scorby, I think, is very good.
    Some people seem to read the Bible on CD with a feeling of getting as much on one disk as they can.

But I love to listen to a CD or cassette of Alexander Scorby read through the Bible.
    I recommend this in addition to reading yourself.

My experience is that when you listen to someone else reading well and from his spirit, the word of God, you may notice some things that you might not have noticed.

Scorby's pronunciation of all the pronouns (places and people) is to me phenomenal.
    But mostly I touch his spirit. And in his spirit flows too the Holy Spirit.
    And I do notice things that I might not notice if I were reading just myself.

I am not sure why this happens. But I like it.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 20:41
    Originally posted by sonship
    The Recovery Version on 2 Tim. 2:15 -

[b] " Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed workman, cutting straight the word of the truth."

I think it would be too superficial that Paul meant to be able to cut the words from gibberish into separate words in order to be approved to God.

Do you see what I mean?[/b]
    Yes, but it is still needed to get to accuracy.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 20:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I've started listening to it as well as reading it.
    Using two of your senses is always good.🙂
    I have heard of people going as far as leaving a vocal recording of scripture even in sleep.
    I have never tried it though.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Apr '17 21:08
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I have heard of people going as far as leaving a vocal recording of scripture even in sleep.
    When I first got saved at 25 I started writing it out.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 May '17 15:18
    Let the Bible rise above you.
    Come with a heart to be subdued by God rather than an attitude that you are going to subdue God.

If the Bible steps on your toes, rejoice that that indicates you have some transformation to undergo yet. He is trying to put you on the way of transformation into the image of Christ.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 May '17 10:171 edit
    Start reading it.

Yesterday I read most of Malachi. What an adventure.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 May '17 10:35
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    This is an accepted form of hypnotherapy.
    You can program yourself to believe you are the King of England.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 May '17 10:36
    Start reading it.

Yesterday I read most of [b]Malachi
    . What an adventure.[/b]
    Wow.
    I must come to one of your parties!

PS
    Ever tried white water rafting?
    Or origami?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 May '17 04:50
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Wow.
    I must come to one of your parties!

PS
    Ever tried white water rafting?
    Or origami?
    These are fun and good. But the living word of God feeds something deep in the human spirit that these fun things do not address.

There is a deeper thirst, a deeper hunger.
    Sometimes even when you laugh outwardly, you sense the lack of something within.

That is why comedians here don't bother me. I know that they are like empty boxes wrapped up in fancy ribbons on the outside.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 May '17 11:17
    These are fun and good. But the living word of God feeds something deep in the human spirit that these fun things do not address.

There is a deeper thirst, a deeper hunger.
    Sometimes even when you laugh outwardly, you sense the lack of something within.

That is why comedians here don't bother me. I know that they are like empty boxes wrapped up in fancy ribbons on the outside.
    Statistically COMEDY feeds something deep in the human spirit.

RELIGION feeds stupidity in the human spirit.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 May '17 23:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Statistically COMEDY feeds something deep in the human spirit.

RELIGION feeds stupidity in the human spirit.
    I am so glad that the living God is not a religion.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 May '17 00:27
    I am so glad that the living God is not a religion.
    Belief in him is.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 May '17 05:37
    Allegorical symbolism showing the Word of God nourishing the innermost part of man's spiritual being:

" And He said to me, Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your inward parts with this scroll that i am giving to you. And I ate it, and it was like honey in my mouth in its sweetness." (Ezek. 3:3)

Along with Ezekiel above, Jeremiah also said he found the words of God and ATE them.

" Your words were found and I ate them, And Your word became to me the gladness and joy of my heart, ..." (Jer, 15:16)

Physical eating and good digestion can teach us about "eating" God and assimilating God so that we have a good mastication of His living word. His Spirit and speaking then can assimilate into the "fabric" of our being.

Without out being consciously aware the Holy Spirit begins to spontaneously regulate our walk.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 May '17 05:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Before you start, do you need to credit someone with the original ideas you will be presenting or are you going to continue allowing people to think they are your own?
    Before you start, do you need to credit someone with the original ideas you will be presenting or are you going to continue allowing people to think they are your own?

No.
    But do not be surprised if along the way I refer to the experience of others who have gone before.

Now, so as not to waste this posting space. Reading the Bible can hardly be the copyrighted original concept of some Christian teacher. The thought of this is silly.

Probably no one reading this post who has ever touched God in their spirit has failed to notice what blessing resulted in reading the Bible.

Often times some experienced Christian will only confirm what you have intuitively been doing for profit anyway. They just come along side and encourage you more to continue. Such was my case.

I opened the Bible in the morning and mused on each line. Actually I was praying over whatever sentence seemed to speak to me. Latter brother Lee spoke to us about "masticating" the word of God.

Is that what you want me to do in giving credit? No problem. I never heard about "masticating" the word of God before I heard Lee talk that way. However, reading Psalm 119 causes anyone to notice how carefully, thoughtfully, contemplatively with enjoyment and deep meditation David absolutely loved God by means of handling God's word.

Saints down through the centuries have done the same.
    We hardly need to give each one advancing in this area individual credit.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 May '17 06:06
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Are there some books (or passages) of the bible that you would discourage the reading of? Or is it all good?
    Are there some books (or passages) of the bible that you would discourage the reading of? Or is it all good?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newcomers I would point to certain books for beginners.
    But every word of God is pure.

" Every word of God is tried; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. " (Prov. 30:5)

Let the word of God bother you at times. Do not be so arrogant to assume all that God has spoken will always agree with your immediate opinion about everything. Keep reading. Don't add or take away from His tried and pure words.

"Do not add to His words, Lest He reprove you and you be found a liar. " (Prov. 30:6)

Revelation the last and very tough book of the Bible will step on someone's toes SOMEWHERE. I don't care who you are, you'll probably find something in the book of Revelation that you naturally don't like too much.

It closes with a warning not to either add to or take away anything from His pure word of prophecy in this book.

" I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll:

If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this scroll.
    If anyone takes away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and out of the holy city, which are written in this scroll." (Rev. 22:18,19)

Don't add.
    Don't subtract.

If it is too much, place that part on the back burner until you gain more experience with God. This is the way to greatest blessing. This is the best way.

You do not have to START at the most difficult place. That is not necessary.
    You may "ramp up" to more difficult parts of God's revelation gradually.

I came to Genesis only after the New Testament had convinced me that the integrity of Jesus Christ was beyond reproach or my questioning. Then, I noticed how Jesus took Genesis when He referred to it. By this channel I dropped my reluctance and opened up to the beginning books of the Old Testament.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree