1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 May '16 21:10
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Has anyone intruded you to the concept of forum necromancy?
    [this is a rhetorical question as I know I have if nobody else has mentioned it]

It's bad forum etiquette to resurrect long dead threads, particularly your own,
    when others have clearly moved on to talk about something else.
    It's a form of forum spam.

Learn to join in others conversations, instead of just spamming your own threads,
    over and over again.
    Curiously enough though, in the very specific case of this very specific post - with the key phrase " "Getting you to discuss anything takes an eternity". - such a delayed response might be defended and even considered witty. I am not asking you to be impressed but I suggest it is not the best candidate for your parental admonitions.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '16 07:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I didn't. You are mistaken.
    In what way?
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '16 07:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In what way?
    You asked him, 'why in the world have you just referenced Him (God) as if He was looking down upon the two of us from heaven?'

It is clear to anyone reading his post that he did no such thing. What he said was, 'Most theists think God exists through out time and that heaven / life after death will be infinite."

How is the above referencing God in the way you suggest? Does he not say 'most theist's think'?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '16 07:501 edit
    To 'fathom' is to measure the depth of water in fathoms using a rope or chain to touch the bottom. If your rope is too short, then the water is unfathomable. Only finite depths are fathomable. The infinite is therefore unfathomable by definition.
    "No" has the advantage of having far less words.

Edit After the Fact: Good Lord, I must be tired. Yes, I know I should have said "far fewer words".
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 May '16 07:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Only temporarily because it then triggers questions asking for an explanation. It is more efficient therefore to give the explanation with the answer. Too many posters demand that you drag an explanation out of them piece by piece with cryptic sarcasm being deployed on the way to try and throw the unwary questioner off.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '16 08:03
    Only temporarily because it then triggers questions asking for an explanation. It is more efficient therefore to give the explanation with the answer. Too many posters demand that you drag an explanation out of them piece by piece with cryptic sarcasm being deployed on the way to try and throw the unwary questioner off.
    This is demonstrably true. I concede your point. 🙂
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 May '16 18:44
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You asked him, 'why in the world have you just referenced Him (God) as if He was looking down upon the two of us from heaven?'

It is clear to anyone reading his post that he did no such thing. What he said was, 'Most theists think God exists through out time and that heaven / life after death will be infinite."

How is the above referencing God in the way you suggest? Does he not say 'most theist's think'?
    Its irreducible essence: God is
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '16 19:46
    You'll need to clarify that in a proper sentence if you want a meaningful response.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    18 May '16 23:47
    "Not" has the advantage of brevity.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 May '16 00:44
    [b]"How is eternity expressed mathematically?" Thread 158620 (30 Mar '14 23:48)

"Here are the largest numbers I could find as a layman's point of reference:

Googol: A large number. A "1" followed by one hundred zeros.
    000,00 ...[text shortened]... uantitative/qualitative aspect of an eternity with or separated from God?"
    ____________________[/b]
    RHP has established a maximum limit on the duration of eternity, using the [text shortened]. algorithm.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '16 02:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Edit After the Fact: Good Lord, I must be tired. Yes, I know I should have said "far fewer words".
    And = Freedom.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jun '16 03:09
    "According to Thomas Aquinas, it is impossible for two distinct causes to each be the immediate cause of one and the same thing. An angel is a good example of such a cause. Thus two angels cannot occupy the same space.[2] This can be seen as an early statement of the Pauli exclusion principle. (The Pauli exclusion principle is a pillar of modern physics ...[text shortened]... Googolplexian: The worlds largest number with a name. A '1' followed by a googolplex of zeros."?
    No, an upper bound based on information theory was found by Anders Sandberg [1][2] - based on the maximum entropy and therefore information that can fit into a pin head sized volume of space and assuming an information carrying capacity of one bit per Angel and it's 8.6766E49 which is about 15% under the square root of a google, a googleplex is a massive overestimate. While the paper is intended humorously the argument is solid, that is the maximum number of bits that can fit into that volume and therefore provides an upper bound on the number of angels that could.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_angels_can_dance_on_the_head_of_a_pin%3F#Humoristic_answers
    [2] "Quantum Gravity Treatment of the Angel Density Problem". Annals of Improbable Research. 2001. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
    http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/angels-7-3.htm
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jun '16 03:54
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No.
    in reply to Grampy Bobby's:
    Is there an infinite number?
    If the question was "Is infinity a number on the real line." then yes, I agree that infinity is not an element of the set of real numbers, but cardinal and ordinal numbers are rigorously defined numbers used to give the size of infinite sets and aren't a short hand for "unbounded".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfinite_number
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '16 05:28
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No, an upper bound based on information theory was found by Anders Sandberg [1][2] - based on the maximum entropy and therefore information that can fit into a pin head sized volume of space and assuming an information carrying capacity of one bit per Angel and it's 8.6766E49 which is about 15% under the square root of a google, a googleplex is a massiv ...[text shortened]... 01. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
    http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/angels-7-3.htm
    Thank you.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '16 18:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 5)
    "Its irreducible essence: God is"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree