1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 11:351 edit
    I found it deeply disturbing that the recent 42nd chess Olympiad in Baku should feature what is essentially an Atheist anthem, John Lennon's, Imagine. Now I am not against atheists having anthems (or pointy ears), or singing, lighting candles or offering incense up to an effigy of Charles Darwin or even expressing their perspective but this appeared to me to be something a little more sinister. Why? Simply put the song is often heralded as quite innocuous, a sugary coated vision of all inclusive diversity and world peace when infact it contains clear anti religious and atheistic sentiment. However I note with some satisfaction that apart from some godless commies from China none of those who sang it won anything. Thank goodness that Grandmaster Wesley So thanks the Lord for his victories, a clear indication of divine favour.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 12:191 edit
    Or maybe, just maybe....Imagine is an absolutely wonderful song, sung beautifully.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 12:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Thank goodness that Grandmaster Wesley So thanks the Lord for his victories, a clear indication of divine favour.
    So God helped Wesley cheat? The victory wasn't earned on his own?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 13:41
    I found it deeply disturbing that the recent 42nd chess Olympiad in Baku should feature what is essentially an Atheist anthem, John Lennon's, Imagine. Now I am not against atheists having anthems (or pointy ears), or singing, lighting candles or offering incense up to an effigy of Charles Darwin or even expressing their perspective but this appeared ...[text shortened]... at Grandmaster Wesley So thanks the Lord for his victories, a clear indication of divine favour.
    Of all the things we discussed in this forum over the years: marital rape, child sexual abuse by your religious cult leaders, religious bullying, dangerous anti-medical teachings and the like.... and it's a bloody pop song at a chess event that you choose to find as the only thing "deeply disturbing" of all these!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 14:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    So God helped Wesley cheat? The victory wasn't earned on his own?
    Shame on you Wesley has never hurt even a fly in his life
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 15:053 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Of all the things we discussed in this forum over the years: marital rape, child sexual abuse by your religious cult leaders, religious bullying, dangerous anti-medical teachings and the like.... and it's a bloody pop song at a chess event that you choose to find as the only thing "deeply disturbing" of all these!
    The song contains clear anti religious and atheistic sentiment which is glossed over and packaged in a sugary coated cover to be lapped up by lap dogs like you, !ts just a pop song! its just a chess event. It doesn't really have anti religious and atheistic sentiments and even if it does the melody is so pretty that it doesn't matter. Lap lap lap lap - more sugary coated atheism for me please!
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 16:12
    Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion, too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one.

La la la
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 16:29
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion, too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace... You...

But I'm not the only one

La la la
    He's mocking me!
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 17:12
    I found it deeply disturbing that the recent 42nd chess Olympiad in Baku should feature what is essentially an Atheist anthem, John Lennon's, Imagine. Now I am not against atheists having anthems (or pointy ears), or singing, lighting candles or offering incense up to an effigy of Charles Darwin or even expressing their perspective but this appeared ...[text shortened]... at Grandmaster Wesley So thanks the Lord for his victories, a clear indication of divine favour.
    Here are the lyrics. Lets see.
    I would say that where I put an *, the idea can be supported in the Bible while ?? means he is mocking religion as you claim:

?? Imagine there's no heaven, It's easy if you try
    * No hell below us Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people Living for today... Aha-ah...

* Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do
    * Nothing to kill or die for
    * And no religion, too
    * Imagine all the people Living life in peace... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one
    * And the world will be as one

* Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can
    * No need for greed or hunger
    * A brotherhood of man
    * Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world... You...

Far more stuff that can be defended from the scriptures.

What John Lennon is doing is mocking the violent and extreme aspects of religion and the greed and selfness that normally accompanies Christianity. Not once did he say that there is no God. His statement about there being no heaven is simply telling people what if you have no heaven to go to, a doctrine preached by the JWs that the Kingdom of God is going to be on this earth. JoHn Lennon is preaching here an earthly paradise which can be created if mankind followed the teachings of Christ. But sadly not even Christians preach that.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 17:464 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Here are the lyrics. Lets see.
    I would say that where I put an *, the idea can be supported in the Bible while ?? means he is mocking religion as you claim:

?? Imagine there's no heaven, It's easy if you try
    * No hell below us Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people Living for today... Aha-ah...

* Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do
    * ...[text shortened]... created if mankind followed the teachings of Christ. But sadly not even Christians preach that.
    John Lemmon states clearly that he envisions a world without religion as the following reference clearly demonstrates, 'and no religion too'. A world where there is no God, reference 'imagine there's no heaven, above us only sky'. Now you can sugar coat it and gloss it over with all the apologetics you like, but it it what it is, an anti religious atheistic anthem of a world without religion and without God and people living with little regard to the future, living 'only for the day', in some hedonistic self indulgent atheistic Hippy commune!

I am not saying John Lennon is mocking religion, Ghost of a duke is mocking me, he is going around his house whistling it! Look at him la la la la!😠
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 18:13
    John Lemmon states clearly that he envisions a world without religion as the following reference clearly demonstrates, 'and no religion too'. A world where there is no God, reference 'imagine there's no heaven, above us only sky'. Now you can sugar coat it and gloss it over with all the apologetics you like, but it it what it is, an anti religious ...[text shortened]... t of a duke is mocking me, he is going around his house whistling it! Look at him la la la la!😠
    Imagine there's no Robbie
    It's easy if you try
    taken down by lettuce
    his wimpy end is nigh
    Imagine all the people

But I'm not the only one

dum de dum dum dum
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 18:25
    The song contains clear anti religious and atheistic sentiment which is glossed over and packaged in a sugary coated cover to be lapped up by lap dogs like you, !ts just a pop song! its just a chess event. It doesn't really have anti religious and atheistic sentiments and even if it does the melody is so pretty that it doesn't matter. Lap lap lap lap - more sugary coated atheism for me please!
    The song was released in the early 1980s and hasn't been changed. Why is it suddenly "deeply disturbing" for you now?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 19:221 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The song was released in the early 1980s and hasn't been changed. Why is it suddenly "deeply disturbing" for you now?
    you want I go back to the songs release and ask myself the same question? 😕
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 19:25
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Imagine there's no Robbie
    It's easy if you try
    taken down by lettuce
    his wimpy end is nigh
    Imagine all the people

But I'm not the only one

dum de dum dum dum
    ahhh its too much, you are smugly relaxing in the comfort of your own home, probably wearing a Sherlock Holmes housecoat and humming the damnable anthem as you gleefuly contemplate the dastardly sugar coatedness of it!
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '16 19:59
    ahhh its too much, you are smugly relaxing in the comfort of your own home, probably wearing a Sherlock Holmes housecoat and humming the damnable anthem as you gleefuly contemplate the dastardly sugar coatedness of it!
    lol

It has been a good evening.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree