1. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:00
    I came across this article regarding several women hosting a Jesus Lunch in Middleton Wisconsin. What are your first impressions?

http://www.wnd.com/2016/04/jesus-lunches-spark-school-anger-police-attention/
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:09
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    I came across this article regarding several women hosting a Jesus Lunch in Middleton Wisconsin. What are your first impressions?

I know what a steak lunch is. I know of a chicken lunch and a salad and soup lunch. Never heard of a Jesus lunch. Sounds like something the Pharisees would enjoy.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:16
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I know what a steak lunch is. I know of a chicken lunch and a salad and soup lunch. Never heard of a Jesus lunch. Sounds like something the Pharisees would enjoy.
    If you read the article, you might have been educated, it is not as bad as you make it out to be. In fact I would have thought you might be agreeable to the idea because somebody is doing something, they are giving of their time and resources for the gospel.

I think you might call that works? No?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:31

Hmmm are they offering lunch, religious instruction, or both? its not entirely clear because the article seems to be about the legal issues involved.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:35
    If you read the article, you might have been educated, it is not as bad as you make it out to be. In fact I would have thought you might be agreeable to the idea because somebody is doing something, they are giving of their time and resources for the gospel.

So why cant they just call it a lunch ?

Works that meet with Gods approval are done without any ulterior personal motive other than compassion and brotherly love.

Only God knows whose works are good.

Educated? 😀
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:49

Works that meet with Gods approval are done without any ulterior personal motive other than compassion and brotherly love.

Only God knows whose works are good.

Educated? 😀

Why can't you be positive about folks providing a lunch to some hungry kids and sharing the gospel. The attenders seem to understand it is lunch and a sharing of the gospel, if they had an issue they would probably choose to not attend. Why does it matter to you if it is called 'lunch' or Jesus Lunch'? It's food my friend, for hungry kids... my goodness.

Are you saying that feeding hungry kids does not meet with God's approval? Any ulterior personal motive, if you want to call it that... that I can see... is sharing the gospel. May I direct you to Matthew 14 where Jesus fed the 5000?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 16:51

Why can't you be positive about folks providing a lunch to some hungry kids and sharing the gospel. The attenders seem to understand it is lunch and a sharing of the gospel, if they had an issue they would probably choose to not attend. Why does it matter to you if it is called 'lunch' or Jesus Lunc ...[text shortened]... at I can see... is sharing the gospel. May I direct you to Matthew 14 where Jesus fed the 5000?
    I am neither positive or negative about peoples works. Like I said only God knows what is good and what is not.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:001 edit

I am generally OK with allowing religious groups to preach or otherwise promote their religion in a legal manner. I am less inclined to be accepting of religious groups targeting children and even less inclined when it is without parental consent - and in this case also involves bribery. My objection is similar to my objection to food companies giving away free sodas outside schools in order to hook children on their drinks.
    Having said all that I have put up with a remarkable amount of evangelism directed towards my son and mostly relied on teaching him to think for himself and make his own decisions. But I can see why other parents my be more concerned - especially if they are members of a competing denomination or religion.
    I think it would be within my rights to demand that nobody preach to my child without my express permission until he turns 18. In reality I am not over protective to that extent.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:02
    No, evangelism isn't works.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:07
    Why can't you be positive about folks providing a lunch to some hungry kids and sharing the gospel.
    Would you allow your children to have lunch at the local Mosque? What about at a Church of Scientology gathering? Be honest now.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:08
    I am neither positive or negative about peoples works. Like I said only God knows what is good and what is not.
    Your opening remark was clearly negative, a lunch that the "pharisees might enjoy", with a undertone no less. No worries, appreciate the comments.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Would you allow your children to have lunch at the local Mosque? What about at a Church of Scientology gathering? Be honest now.
    This is not a mosque or the church of Scientology, it is a gathering in the park where free food is being handed out to hungry kids who are coming of their own accord and a message is being shared, that is it. I am a Christian and believe in spreading the good news of the gospel. Why would I allow my kids to eat at a Mosque of the Church of Scientology? No I wouldn't to answer your question... honestly.

People! they are feeding hungry kids and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Are we so PC that we would forego feeding hungry kids (and hundreds at that I would add according to the article) just so the Word would not be shared?

The message of Jesus compels people to do things like this in love.

John 13:34-35 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:27

My first impressions are "great idea."
    A clever way to preach the gospel and give glory to God. The bible tells us to reach out to people and preach the Good News.
    It reminds me of Jesus feeding thousands, then they wanted to make him King.
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Hmmm are they offering lunch, religious instruction, or both? its not entirely clear because the article seems to be about the legal issues involved.
    Robbie, I don't know that I would consider it being religious instruction, from what I glean from the article, it's free lunch and a sharing of the gospel to whomever wants it. An interesting dichotomy (and definitely off topic), we would try to forbid parents to have a say in whether or not their child could obtain an abortion but would come out guns blazing against some mothers who would want to provide free lunches to hungry kids? Just amazing!
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 17:47
    This is not a mosque ....
    OK, a Muslim lunch?

or the church of Scientology, it is a gathering in the park
    And I clearly stated 'Church of Scientology gathering'. It could also be in the park, and could also include lunch.

where free food is being handed out to hungry kids
    I notice you are punting the 'hungry kids' message a little too much. These are not poor starving kids who would not otherwise eat lunch. These are kids who would rather save their lunch money if there is free food to be had.

... who are coming of their own accord
    But not with their parents permission.

...and a message is being shared, that is it.
    And I suggested nothing else with my question regarding similar Muslim or Church of Scientology gatherings.

I am a Christian and believe in spreading the good news of the gospel. Why would I allow my kids to eat at a Mosque of the Church of Scientology? No I wouldn't to answer your question... honestly.
    So would you object if Muslims or the Church of Scientology did exactly the same thing with a lunch in the park where your kids go to school and you were not in a position to stop your children going to the lunch?

People! they are feeding hungry kids and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
    I repeat, they are not starving kids. No good works are being done here.

Are we so PC that we would forego feeding hungry kids (and hundreds at that I would add according to the article) just so the Word would not be shared?
    You have honestly stated that you are so PC that you would not let your own children attend a similar function held by another religion. Hypocrite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree