1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 18:29
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Is your confidence based on evidence or a lack of evidence?
    Ah, you mean lack of evidence like religions?
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 06:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ah, you mean lack of evidence like religions?
    Your confidence that your beliefs are true is based on a lack of evidence? Or do you have evidence for your beliefs?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 08:47
    Your confidence that your beliefs are true is based on a lack of evidence? Or do you have evidence for your beliefs?
    In other words, you don't accept scientific evidence? Like you drop a rock on your foot, it hurts? Because gravity is real, evidence shows that. I dive 300 feet into the ocean without scuba, I die. No O2, I would accept that as evidence for my belief I cannot dive 300 feet unaided into the ocean. So what is your beef?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 08:531 edit
    Every thought ever thought by the mind of man does not require that man to be a shyster.

Or do you honestly think that the first man to look up into the night sky and wonder if there might be a 'Great Spirit' watching over us immediately thought about how he might use this thought to scam others?

Faith exists quite well without deception.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 12:072 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Every thought ever thought by the mind of man does not require that man to be a shyster.

Or do you honestly think that the first man to look up into the night sky and wonder if there might be a 'Great Spirit' watching over us immediately thought about how he might use this thought to scam others?

Faith exists quite well without deception.
    It's not the faith of the followers I object to, it's the manufactures of the reason for that faith that I hate. The man made nature of the genesis of religion in the first place. Apparently mankind needs religion so there were religious scammers out there a few thousand years ago who decided to start a new religion that promised all sorts of things like living forever in some kind of heaven which attracts people who are duped into believing humans are so high on the spiritual totem pole as to be worthy of the attention of a god. As things unfolded after those religions were invented, nothing but religious wars were the result, something I have always said a god would not permit. A god would be so far above us morally speaking as to be really offended by men killing other men in its name, even assuming this god exists.

But of course now you will bring up the 'so now you know the mind of god' card.

So maybe I don't know what a god would be thinking if in fact a god thinks, but in the inaction of any god towards mankind.

Infants 2 months old dying of cancer is not what I would call an indication there is some god out there who loves children.

That is only one reason why I think if there is some kind of god it is strictly hands off, we are on our own to die or live by lifting ourselves up by our own bootsraps not waiting for some god to fix all our boo boo's and everything will be magically all right.

The proof of that is the extinction of all branches of humans like Neandertals, all gone except for some interbreeding with homo sapian sapians. So if they can die out, so can modern humans with nary a squeek from a god. We are on our own, the religions we make up are our own also and the sooner the human race figures that out, the sooner we can actually grow up as a human race and live together in some kind of peace.

You can see how well that racial immaturity is playing out as we speak and how religious warfare effects such outcomes. Men are contentious enough without throwing religious warfare in the mix.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 18:542 edits
    In other words, you don't accept scientific evidence? Like you drop a rock on your foot, it hurts? Because gravity is real, evidence shows that. I dive 300 feet into the ocean without scuba, I die. No O2, I would accept that as evidence for my belief I cannot dive 300 feet unaided into the ocean. So what is your beef?
    I am a scientist by trade, why wouldn't I accept scientific evidence? Do you think 'scientific evidence' is the only type of evidence that should govern belief?

1.Do you believe rape is evil? yes/no?
    2.Can science prove that rape is evil? yes/no?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 18:371 edit
    I am a scientist by trade, why wouldn't I accept scientific evidence? Do you think 'scientific evidence' is the only type of evidence that should govern belief?

1.Do you believe rape is evil? yes/no?
    2.Can science prove that rape is evil? yes/no?
    Ah, sorry for misunderestimating you๐Ÿ™‚ What is your science specialty if I may ask?

Of course we DEFINE rape as evil and science can make up a statistic study of those who agree and those who don't agree but they can't prove or disprove a concept like evil.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Dec '16 17:573 edits
    Ah, sorry for misunderestimating you๐Ÿ™‚ What is your science specialty if I may ask?

Of course we DEFINE rape as evil and science can make up a statistic study of those who agree and those who don't agree but they can't prove or disprove a concept like evil.
    Physics.

Do you believe rape is evil? Yes/No?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Dec '16 22:12
    Physics.

Do you believe rape is evil? Yes/No?
    Rape is criminal, I would save 'evil' for the real bad ones, rape and killing the victim would qualify as evil, but so would people like Idi Amin or Pol Pot or a lot of other despots.

Rape it bad enough by itself but I think we have to reserve evil for worse deeds, like the Boko Haram killing 8 year old boys for daring to want a western education. Killing defenseless children qualifies as evil to me.

BTW, my son in law is a statistical physicist, Phd from BU, he married my daughter who got her first degree at Berklee in Boston and Ma in music at Wesleyan. His name is Gandhi, from India but when he was 6 his family emigrated to Brazil so Portuguese is first language and then English. They moved back to Brazil where they both teach at Federal University in Natal, up north.

My schtick is semiconductor manufacturing machines, been at that bit since 1980, first job was on a beast called the ion implanter, then sputtering machines, and ion etchers, optical and electron microscopes now back on sputtering tools, we have 4 of them now. Some from the '80's and some from the actual 21st century๐Ÿ™‚

So what do you do in physics? Applied, research, teach?
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 09:07
    Rape is criminal, I would save 'evil' for the real bad ones, rape and killing the victim would qualify as evil, but so would people like Idi Amin or Pol Pot or a lot of other despots.

Rape it bad enough by itself but I think we have to reserve evil for worse deeds, like the Boko Haram killing 8 year old boys for daring to want a western education. Killi ...[text shortened]... some from the actual 21st century๐Ÿ™‚

So what do you do in physics? Applied, research, teach?
    So you agree you believe something to be true (raping and killing a victim is evil) even if science cannot prove it to be so?

Your job sounds a lot more fun than mine. ๐Ÿ™‚ I develop the physics part of a STEM curriculum for government schools in the United Arab Emirates as part of a pilot program with Vanderbilt university.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 09:29
    I develop the physics part of a STEM curriculum for government schools in the United Arab Emirates as part of a pilot program with Vanderbilt university.
    Based on the mind map your behaviour appears to reveal on this forum, I've had you down as a 15 year old high school student who has latched on to a smattering of rhetorical tricks - encountered on the net and mimicked, presumably - which he deploys over and over and over and over again and which he seeks to pass off as in-good-faith 'discourse', for which he has perhaps received positive reinforcement from adults around him under the mistaken impression that his behaviour is precocious and productive. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 10:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Based on the mind map your behaviour appears to reveal on this forum, I've had you down as a 15 year old high school student who has latched on to a smattering of rhetorical tricks - encountered on the net and mimicked, presumably - which he deploys over and over and over and over again and which he seeks to pass off as in-good-faith 'discourse', for which he ha ...[text shortened]... lts around him under the mistaken impression that his behaviour is precocious and productive. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Would I be correct in assuming you were bullied as a kid?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 10:102 edits
    Would I be correct in assuming you were bullied as a kid?
    No you wouldn't be correct. If I'm wrong about you, then I'm wrong. But if your behaviour is an act you put on, and I've deduced the impression you were trying to give correctly, then I deserve some credit for my thumbnail sketch, I think. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 10:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    No I wouldn't be correct. If I'm wrong about you, then I'm wrong. But if your behaviour is an act you put on, and I've deduced the impression you were trying to give correctly, then I deserve some credit for my thumbnail sketch, I think. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Read your post again it makes no sense.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 10:18
    Read your post again it makes no sense.
    Typo fixed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree