1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 09:55
    Adam's first wife. She wouldn't properly obey adam, so she was culled from genesis then demonized later in the bible.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 12:56
    Originally posted by apathist
    Adam's first wife. She wouldn't properly obey adam, so she was culled from genesis then demonized later in the bible.
    Adam had only one wife.

You would rather run after the apocryphal writings that take the canon of the Hebrew Bible ?

You should get a firm grounding in the canon of the Hebrew Bible before chasing after the apocryphal embellishments in the legends of the Jews.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 15:27
    "Demonised"

🙄
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 19:531 edit
    Where was this "Lillith" demonized "later in the bible." ?
    There is not one iota of mention of any other wife of Adam in the Bible.

Why would you open an entire thread exposing the abject ignorance of the Bible with one attention getting pseudo factoid ?
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 22:511 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    You would rather run after the apocryphal writings that take the canon of the Hebrew Bible?
    Yes. They are 'apocryphal' because they were not selected for the bible. Not the other way around! A big criteria for the selection process was whatever would help the power of the church to grow.

Lilith was adam's first wife.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Sep '16 22:54
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "Demonised"
    That caught me by surprise! I learn that's a legitimate alternate spelling, chiefly for the british. But who cares what the british think. 🙂
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 00:33
    Originally posted by sonship
    Where was this "Lillith" demonized "later in the bible." ?
    from http://www.gotquestions.org/Lillith.html
    The passage most often pointed to as evidence for Lilith is Isaiah 34:14, which in the NRSV reads, "there too Lilith shall repose." This is a poor translation. Every other major translation of the Bible reads something to the effect of "night creature" or "screech owl." Even if "demon monster named Lilith" was the proper translation of the Hebrew word, ...

There we see she was demonized. Later translations get rid of even her name.

There is not one iota of mention of any other wife of Adam in the Bible.
    The rest of the above quote reads ...Adam is nowhere even hinted at in this passage or its context. Whatever the Lilith was, it is not given any connection whatsoever to Adam or Creation.

As I said, she was culled out of genesis. There are fossilized remains, though, found in the two contradictory creation accounts. The first woman was created simultaneously with the first man. Later, the first man already exists and a woman is created from his rib. Lilith, then the missing part of the story, and then Eve.

Why would you open an entire thread exposing the abject ignorance of the Bible with one attention getting pseudo factoid ?
    Good clean fun, of course. The typical monochromatic Christian view of the modern Bible is where the ignorance lies. I'm just adding some color to the board. I might color outside the lines sometimes, but the truth is so pretty! We shouldn't allow it to be hidden.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 00:49
    The Christian site apologizing for Lilith that I was quoting winds up with this:

While there are myths outside of the Word of God regarding Lilith, her complete absence from Scripture demonstrates that she is nothing more than a myth.

Whew! The men who combed through the ancient writings and assembled the Bible according to church agenda, they sure dodged a bullet there!
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 03:25
    That caught me by surprise! I learn that's a legitimate alternate spelling, chiefly for the british. But who cares what the british think. 🙂
    It's not the spelling I'm eye rolling at, lol.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 09:001 edit
    The Christian site apologizing for Lilith that I was quoting winds up with this:

While there are myths outside of the Word of God regarding Lilith, her complete absence from Scripture demonstrates that she is nothing more than a myth.

Whew! The men who combed through the ancient writings and assembled the Bible according to church agenda, they sure dodged a bullet there!
    There's some blatantly obvious implications to be made from that christian quote, but I suppose it should be spelled out.

First implication is that the creation story in the bible was selected from a collection of myths. So clearly the creation story is just a myth.

Another and more important implication is the christian conceit that the myths they select are magically elevated to divinely-inspired truth.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Sep '16 14:153 edits
    The church was not in existence when Genesis was written.
    Where in the New Testament is this Lilith demonized ?

No that is not the reason they are apocryphal. It is not because they are not a part of an authoritative list of books. Rather it is because they are not authoritative writings.

in both the Old Testament and the New Testament the canon is not an authoritative list of books. It is a list of authoritative books which have the characteristic of inspiration discovered about them.

Now, you did not answer my other question. In which other Bible book was this Lilith demonized ? Your next post to me, I hope, will indicate where else in the 39 Old Testament books this alleged previous wife of Adam had ANYTHING at all written about her.

And if you cannot locate it just write down "Gobble Gobble!"
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Sep '16 17:331 edit
    originally posted by sonship
    The church was not in existence when Genesis was written.
    Where in the New Testament is this Lilith demonized ?

The church was in existence when it selected the books of the bible from preexisting myths and legends. I made no claim that lilith is mentioned in the new testament.

in both the Old Testament and the New Testament the canon is not an authoritative list of books. It is a list of authoritative books which have the characteristic of inspiration discovered about them.
    The Documentary Hypothesis, or the JEPD theory, would be a more rational approach to how the bible was assembled, don't you think?

Now, you did not answer my other question. In which other Bible book was this Lilith demonized ? Your next post to me, I hope, will indicate where else in the 39 Old Testament books this alleged previous wife of Adam had ANYTHING at all written about her.
    ? I made no such claim about any "other" bible book.

And if you cannot locate it just write down "Gobble Gobble!"
    Btw, here's a short youtube about lilith. Just for fun.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 01:571 edit
    My basic understanding is that Lilleth wasn't the first woman "created" for adam.
    Adam sexual desires for Lil were overpowering to the point of rape.
    She didn't want a bar of it, and god was no use at this point, so she left (was banished). Went to live in seaside caves for a long time.
    Then came Eve and some form of "normality" was returned [can't have these women like Lilleth causing a stir].

But Lillleth remains out there.

She prays on monks or whoever is trying to become celibate. When they dream she comes to their dreams as THEIR most desired females , transforms herself, and procedes to steal their sexual energy (this sounds Hindu)
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Sep '16 03:371 edit
    Btw, here's a short youtube about lilith. Just for fun.
    I forgot to add the code.

YouTube
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 00:30
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    My basic understanding is that Lilleth wasn't the first woman "created" for adam.
    Adam sexual desires for Lil were overpowering to the point of rape.
    She didn't want a bar of it, and god was no use at this point, so she left (was banished). Went to live in seaside caves for a long time.
    Then came Eve and some form of "normality" was returned [can' ...[text shortened]... ired females , transforms herself, and procedes to steal their sexual energy (this sounds Hindu)
    The variant I read somewhere was that she and Adam argued over who should go on top. She eventually left Eden, the Angels told her that all her children would die if she left, but she persisted and kills all her children as a result. In the myth she comes to young men (not specifically monks) in their dreams and causes them to defile themselves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree