1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:082 edits
    One of the most poignant clips in art cinema is a scene from 'A Winter light' directed by Ingmar Bergman. A semi crippled believer self identifies with Christ's physical pain but expresses the idea that the emotional pain of being abandoned by his disciples and seemingly abandoned by God was even more acute. It was Gods silence that made the Christ cry out, 'My God, My God why have you forsaken me.' I have read some interesting interpretations of the episode ranging from "Christ realised that all he had been teaching was a lie' (Bergman -A Winter light) to 'it was the anguish of dying as a criminal and bringing reproach on Gods name that tormented Christ.' (My own denomination Jehovahs Witnesses). There are also some other interesting perspectives on the verse. Perhaps someone would like to comment on why they think Christ was compelled to cry out?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    One of the most poignant clips in art cinema is a scene from 'A Winter light' directed by Ingmar Bergman. A semi crippled believer self identifies with Christ's physical pain but expresses the idea that the emotional pain of being abandoned by his disciples and seemingly abandoned by God was even more acute. It was Gods silence that made the Christ c ...[text shortened]... verse. Perhaps someone would like to comment on why they think Christ was compelled to cry out?
    I always understood as an expression of Christ's humanity. Don't all humans cry out to their God or to justice when experiencing such physical (and unwarranted) torment?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:18
    Perhaps someone would like to comment on why they think Christ was compelled to cry out?
    Perhaps because he was a maverick rabbi who'd met his end in agonizing circumstances.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:33
    One of the most poignant clips in art cinema is a scene from 'A Winter light' directed by Ingmar Bergman. A semi crippled believer self identifies with Christ's physical pain but expresses the idea that the emotional pain of being abandoned by his disciples and seemingly abandoned by God was even more acute. It was Gods silence that made the Christ c ...[text shortened]... verse. Perhaps someone would like to comment on why they think Christ was compelled to cry out?
    For Jesus to carry the burden of sin he had to do it completely alone and in his humanity.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:35
    My own denomination Jehovahs Witnesses
    Your use of "denomination" is interesting. Do you see the Jehovah's Witness religion as being a part of the wider Christian Church?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:182 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I always understood as an expression of Christ's humanity. Don't all humans cry out to their God or to justice when experiencing such physical (and unwarranted) torment?
    Yes I suspect they do. The text is very clear, its a sense of being abandoned and when one envisions the preceding events, the disciples had fallen asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane, his betrayal by one of his disciples, his abandonment by his disciples, Peters denial and now seemingly abandoned by God. It would have been too much for any human to bear.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    For Jesus to carry the burden of sin he had to do it completely alone and in his humanity.
    He cried out to God, 'My God My God why have you forsaken me', because Jesus carried the burden of sin and had to do it completely alone while a human. Ok.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:212 edits
    He cried out to God, 'My God My God why have you forsaken me', because Jesus carried the burden of sin and had to do it completely alone while a human. Ok.

You agree with me then?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:251 edit
    [b]He cried out to God, 'My God My God why have you forsaken me', because Jesus carried the burden of sin and had to do it completely alone while a human. Ok.

You agree with me then?[/b]
    Will you try to refrain from assuming anything. I have neither agreed nor disagreed with you, I have merely acknowledged your interpretation.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:30
    I don't think any human could do that alone.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:311 edit
    Here is the scene if anyone in interested, its in Svenska with English subtitles.

YouTube : A winter Light
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 13:431 edit
    Will you try to refrain from assuming anything. I have neither agreed nor disagreed with you, I have merely acknowledged your interpretation.
    I haven't assumed anything. I just asked if your "ok" reply was agreement.

Why do you have to be such an aggressive duchebag all the time.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:023 edits
    I haven't assumed anything. I just asked if your "ok" reply was agreement.

Why do you have to be such an aggressive duchebag all the time.
    You did not ask 'if', there is no 'if' in your statement, here is your statement quoted verbatim,

You agree with me then? - divesgeester

It contains no 'if 'and is an assumption, the assumption being that I agree with you. You were asked to refrain from assuming anything politely. There was no aggression. You have attempted to use these two falsehoods to fabricate values that are non existent. Will you please stop making assumptions and will you please stop fabricating values about other people that they have not explicitly expressed, its both dishonest and very tedious to have to point it out again and again.

This thread is not about you, its not about me. Its about a statement that Christ made. If you will not or cannot stay on topic then i would be more than pleased if you left the thread for people that do want to discuss that topic.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:14
    Q: Why Did God Forsake Jesus on the Cross? I have heard it taught it was because Jesus became sin for us and God cannot stand sin. Is this true?

A: We do not believe that God forsook Jesus on the cross. The following transcription will cover this question in great detail.

We are going to be looking at one of the more difficult verses of scripture in the Bible. It is one of the things that Jesus spoke while he was being crucified and it is commonly misunderstood.

If we are going to understand the life and the ministry of Jesus Christ, what he did, what he accomplished, his goals, and his heart for God’s people then we need to understand what he said and why he said it and that is certainly the case with this difficult verse in Matthew 27:46.

Matthew 27:46
    About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

This is a great read. Learn why God did not forsake Jesus on the Cross...

http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/eloi-eloi-lama-sabachthani-my-god-my-god-why-have-you-forsaken-me
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:23
    You did not ask 'if', there is no 'if' in your statement, here is your statement quoted verbatim,

You agree with me then? - divesgeester

It contains no 'if 'and is an assumption, the assumption being that I agree with you. You were asked to refrain from assuming anything politely. There was no aggression. You have attempted to use these two falsehoods to fabricate values that are non existent. Will you please stop making assumptions and will you please stop fabricating values about other people that they have not explicitly expressed, its both dishonest and very tedious to have to point it out again and again.

This thread is not about you, its not about me. Its about a statement that Christ made. If you will not or cannot stay on topic then i would be more than pleased if you left the thread for people that do want to discuss that topic.

Your retort did seem a bit unnecessarily puerile and hostile.

The answer offered was "For Jesus to carry the burden of sin he had to do it completely alone and in his humanity."

Do you agree with it to any degree?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree