22 Apr '16 23:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 23:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    This is an ancient observation that began on Abib (now Nisan) 13, the day before the Exodus. It was inaugurated on the first full moon Of March/April and observed that way through the years.It was to be observed annually on that date.
    This year the first full moon was on March 23rd. (Gregorian calendar)
    Can anyone explain why the Passover is being observed in April this year?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 00:17
    The story of Exodus in the Bible has always troubled me. The fact that God Himself hardened the heart of Pharaoh 10 times to ensure that all of the promised plagues would happen has been confusing to me. The 10th plague, killing of the firstborn, which the people of Moses avoided because they spread blood above the doors, and 'death' would then "pass over", is again due to God hardening the heart of Pharaoh.

It doesn't make sense to me why God would do this. Granted, the Pharaoh already had a hard heart to begin with, but the Bible is very clear that God did more....to ensure the plagues.

So, I'm not really certain what the Jewish people are actually celebrating with this holiday. I have read articles on the Exodus story, and most Biblical scholars have difficulty explaining the paradox of a loving God who would purposely harden Pharaoh's heart to make sure that much suffering and death would occur.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 00:28

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 01:04
    Technically though, isn't Passover a celebration of the 10th plague of Egypt, in which many, many firstborn children were killed? Maybe the Jewish children were spared, but many children were not so fortunate.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 02:18
    Originally posted by roigam
    This is an ancient observation that began on Abib (now Nisan) 13, the day before the Exodus. It was inaugurated on the first full moon Of March/April and observed that way through the years.It was to be observed annually on that date.
    15 Nisan is in April.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 09:22
    Originally posted by roigam
    It is because this is a leap year in the Hebrew system, and so the year had a 13th month, known as Adar Sheni, or Adar II. The lunar year has 354 days, while the solar year is 365 days, so these extra 11 days add up, and so during the 19 year cycle, 7 of those years are leap years. The leap years are the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 19th year of the 19 year cycle. This last year was the 11th year of the current 19 year cycle which started in 2005. And so an extra month of 29 days was added.

Passover is observed on Nisan 15 every year. It's just that the day in the Gregorian calendar that falls on changes. Also, the Hebrew month is counted from new moon to new moon, not full moon to full moon. This is why the date is Nisan 15, because this should be the day of the full moon. The appearance of the new moon is called Rosh Chodesh (“head of the month” ). 12 chodeshim make a Shanah, or year, except in leap years, when there are 13 chodeshim in a Shanah.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 09:26
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    15 Nisan is in April.
    This year, it is.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 10:141 edit
    Originally posted by chaney3
    The story of Exodus in the Bible has always troubled me. The fact that God Himself hardened the heart of Pharaoh 10 times to ensure that all of the promised plagues would happen has been confusing to me. The 10th plague, killing of the firstborn, which the people of Moses avoided because they spread blood above the doors, and 'death' would then "pass over" ...[text shortened]... o would purposely harden Pharaoh's heart to make sure that much suffering and death would occur.
    The reason God hardened his heart I think is because of the Pharaoh killing the first born of the Hebrews in search of snuffing out their deliverer Moses before the plagues began.

It's called an eye for an eye. The same was then done to them.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 10:431 edit
    Originally posted by chaney3
    The story of Exodus in the Bible has always troubled me. The fact that God Himself hardened the heart of Pharaoh 10 times to ensure that all of the promised plagues would happen has been confusing to me. The 10th plague, killing of the firstborn, which the people of Moses avoided because they spread blood above the doors, and 'death' would then "pass over" ...[text shortened]... o would purposely harden Pharaoh's heart to make sure that much suffering and death would occur.
    Considering the whole thing was just made up by humans, it's not surprising the viciousness of the tale.

A god, a real loving god, would have found a different way to deal with the problem that didn't involve the deaths of newborn innocents, A repulsive story.

For instance, assuming all of that is true, a real god couldn't have done more than just send messages to the Pharaoh? Like lift his sorry ass up about ten feet in the air and say, you want to let my people go or what? I think that would have gotten his attention....
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 11:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Considering the whole thing was just made up by humans, it's not surprising the viciousness of the tale.

A god, a real loving god, would have found a different way to deal with the problem that didn't involve the deaths of newborn innocents, A repulsive story.

For instance, assuming all of that is true, a real god couldn't have done more than just se ...[text shortened]... and say, you want to let my people go or what? I think that would have gotten his attention....
    For instance, assuming all of that is true, a real god couldn't have done more than just send messages to the Pharaoh? Like lift his sorry ass up about ten feet in the air and say, you want to let my people go or what? I think that would have gotten his attention...

So in your words "assuming all that is true", are you saying you know better of what God should have done to get pharoh's attention? If so, what makes you think so?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 19:46

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 20:16
    My interest is with the Jewish people who 'believe' the story of the Exodus as told in the Bible, and celebrate Passover with, as you describe.....food, games, drinking, etc.

What is their opinion of the trade-off with the 10th plague...that is, the people of Moses were set free, but with the death of many innocent children and the untold pain and suffering of the families of those children, who most likely had NO idea of the situation unfolding between Moses and Pharaoh.

I currently don't have any friends or relatives that celebrate Passover, or I would ask.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '16 19:37

15. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    24 Apr '16 20:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This year, it is.
    Guess we were a little off on celebrating Easter this year.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree