1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 00:25
    Originally posted by apathist
    I think punishment is rotten. Good kids need guidance. Not sure what to do with bad kids.
    Bad kids come from bad communities.
    Shaming kids works pretty well. Setting a good example works for kids. Although if there is no one to set good examples then the negative behaviours can multiply
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 00:28
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Bad kids come from bad communities.
    Shaming kids works pretty well. Setting a good example works for kids. Although if there is no one to set good examples then the negative behaviours can multiply
    Nature v nurture, I think there is some nature stuff our best intentions fail against?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 00:34
    Originally posted by apathist
    Nature v nurture, I think there is some nature stuff our best intentions fail against?
    Sure. We inherit a lot from our genes. My last post was over generalized no doubt
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 01:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you should deal with the way I conduct myself as you see fit and it's fine by me if, in doing so, you compare me to whatever other posters you want.
    In a way I can understand that you probably enjoy having DG as your toady and feel protective. In a twisted sort of way.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 01:19
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    In a way I can understand that you probably enjoy having DG as your toady and feel protective. In a twisted sort of way.
    I welcome you getting this stuff off your chest.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 01:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    I welcome you getting this stuff off your chest.
    I see that you're bound and determined to continue to dodge the questions and are willing to play to fool in order to do so.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 01:36
    I see that you're bound and determined to continue to dodge the questions and are willing to play to fool in order to do so.
    I don't think I am playing the fool at all.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 01:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think I am playing the fool at all.
    More's the pity.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 01:58
    More's the pity.
    I note that my answer to your questions on page 6 about what I think of how divegeester chooses to deal with chaney3 has been removed. I have no idea why. I received no notification or warning.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 07:121 edit
    More's the pity.
    Do you think he's embarrassing himself?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 07:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    I note that my answer to your questions on page 6 about what I think of how divegeester chooses to deal with chaney3 has been removed. I have no idea why. I received no notification or warning.
    That's very strange.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 07:16
    Originally posted by chaney3
    It would seem that eternal punishment for sins committed on earth is a bit harsh. Especially when the punishment is handed out by a supposed loving God.
    Justice...yes, but for eternity?
    How does god being loving or not, impact the harshness of the punishment?

During the majority period of your life when you considered yourself to be a Christian, who did you reconcile this harshness of god with the love he had shown you?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 07:52
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You realize you are coming down on God for not doing things your way. You say your morality is not confined by any book, yet you can hold God accountable for something you do.

God made away any can be saved, if it were something to be earned none could. The majority not taking God up on Jesus' gift is on us.
    I am not holding God accountable for my actions. I am holding God accountable for His actions. (Accountable to Himself, not me).

If you are selling your deity as all-loving and all-forgiving then I expect to see unequivocal evidence for this. Unfortunately the only book you have at your disposal is not your friend in this regard.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 08:03
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    On the basis of common sense and the order of the universe. If you think you can hold God accountable for his actions, good luck with that.
    So by 'hold accountable' you basically mean 'have the power to do what you like'. But I think you are confusing 'might' with 'right'.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 08:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So by 'hold accountable' you basically mean 'have the power to do what you like'. But I think you are confusing 'might' with 'right'.
    That does indeed appear to be his confusion.

If I managed to create a new life form in my sock drawer, I could quite easily obliterate it from existence due to my superior power and intellect. But this doesn't mean I have the 'right' to act in such a manner. I am accountable to my own conscience. Why would this be any different for an intelligent and caring deity?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree