1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 15:13
    Dan Brown (Angels & Demons):
    Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised. In the end, though, we are all proclaiming the same thing. That life has meaning. That we are grateful for the power that created us.

The last sentence is problematic, but I think he's on the right track here.

David Eller (Atheism Advanced):
    The very idea of language must be acquired. In this sense, religion is like language. No particular language is innate, although all humans normally do acquire one and have a capacity (some say an instinct) to acquire one. . . . Which actual language a human acquires depends on his or her social environment.

A person acquires a particular language simply by and because of being raised among others who already speak it; generally, people speak whatever language is spoken around them. . . . no speakers of a particular language would ever claim that their language is "true." The very notion that, for instance, English is true while Spanish is false is nonsensical.

I'm not sure, but I suspect the Abrahamic religions are fairly unique with their claim of being the one true religion. Anyway, I found the above quote in a blog by a former fundy:

http://formerfundy.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-is-religion-like-language.html

He goes on to list some points of comparison and of contrast.

Anyway. I think the approach is useful. We are sort of hard-wired to acquire language, and perhaps the same is true of religion. Language-learning is innate and allows us to be part of a group of peers; I suggest that religion-learning is an innate expression of spirituality that allows us to be part of a group-mind. But I'm just a crazy pagan lovin' this harsh and wonderful planet.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 15:46
    I don't think the analogy is particularly useful. I also do not think religion learning is innate.
    Learning is innate, as are a number of other aspects related to religion.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 21:04
    Isn't it true that young children deprived of conversation will create their own language?
    Isn't it therefore in a sense inate?

Would children "deprived" of religion (including historical religions) invent their own?
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 22:10
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Would children "deprived" of religion (including historical religions) invent their own?
    Yes, but the scale is different. Not children, but tribes and cultures.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 02:16
    Originally posted by apathist
    Dan Brown (Angels & Demons):
    Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised. In the end, though, we are all proclaiming the same thing. That life has meaning. That we are grateful for the power that created us.

The last sentence is problematic, but I think he's on the right track here. ...[text shortened]... s to be part of a group-mind. But I'm just a crazy pagan lovin' this harsh and wonderful planet.
    Yeah pagans are easy to talk to.

I do find it useful to be able to talk in terms that the religionist will understand,eg. at the KRSNA farm I will replace "thank you" and "hello" with "Hare Krsna" or I won't use words like 'karma' when speaking to Christians,stuff like that
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 02:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't think the analogy is particularly useful. I also do not think religion learning is innate.
    Learning is innate, as are a number of other aspects related to religion.
    What do you think of archetypes (Yung)? Are they innate?
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 01:32
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I do find it useful to be able to talk in terms that the religionist will understand,eg. at the KRSNA farm I will replace "thank you" and "hello" with "Hare Krsna" or I won't use words like 'karma' when speaking to Christians,stuff like that
    I have met christians who are offended by the concept of karma. I don't mind, you know, when in rome, but sometimes I insist this is not a one-way street here.

I think the mormons finally put me on a do-not-call list. I kinda miss them.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 02:541 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    I have met christians who are offended by the concept of karma. I don't mind, you know, when in rome, but sometimes I insist this is not a one-way street here.

I think the mormons finally put me on a do-not-call list. I kinda miss them.
    Lol

Yeah, the JW's are avoiding me.

Even worse since I put up my flat number with a tarot card...

I subscribe to the idea that you must meet someone halfway (or at least try).
    However there are limits to that idea and in those cases I will not involve myself with that sort of language

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree